Another day, another new girl

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by inamorata, Sep 2, 2004.

1. inamorata Banned Banned

Hi. Im Dani, and Im new.

And yes, another day, another new forum. Im addicted.

And I finally submitted my PhD thesis last week, and Im stoked, and revelling in this new found TIME to procrastinate and waste

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

So hi, nice to be here

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. rGEMINI Fallen Entity Registered Senior Member

^^^ welcome this so far the best forum i have ever come across so enjoy yoru stay ^^^

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. inamorata Banned Banned

Yeah Ive been lurking around the threads, just browsing the topics and posts, and I must say, it IS one of the best forums I have seen yet.....

Now to just find the time to post like crazy.... seems I have less time to waste than I originally hoped for. But thats never stopped me before

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Hah, it is easy to post like crazy... I always managed it.

Welcome to Sciforums.

8. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

10 bucks says we never hear from you in about 2 weeks.

No offense but when people start threads announcing their arrival they never seem to stay.

BTW, is that you in your avatar?

9. inamorata Banned Banned

Yep. Sure is. I had finished work one morning (I worked at the door of a trance club while doing my PhD, the "guest list" girl, oh my!!), and I was chatting to a friend on cam in the States, and he screenshot it and sent me the pic. Ive used it as an avator ever since.

btw. Im really much more of a breakbeats girl rather than a trance girl. There is only so much trance a person can take. But, things you have to do while living as a student I guess.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2004
  10. inamorata Banned Banned

And Im not going anywhere. I like this forum

And is that you in your avator?

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

What was the topic?

12. inamorata Banned Banned

My research looked broadly at the way that the immune system regulates bone destruction, particularly in diseases like rheumatoid arthritis and breast cancer to bone metastases. So technically, my PhD research focused on cytokines and their influence on osteoclast formation, particularyl in relation to rheumatoid arthritis and other inflammatory diseases with a osteolytic component.

More specifically, I looked at the effects of IL-4 and IL-12, both alone and in synergy with IL-18, to inhibit osteoclast formation via the production of novel inhibitors from naive T cells. I also looked at the bone phenotypes of mice deficient in IL-12, IL-18 and IL-12/IL-18, as well as looking at the effects of newly discovered interleukins on osteoclast formation. Alot of cell culture, molecular biology, flow cytometry, mouse mdoels and genomics, microarrays, differential display etc etc. It was a good project in the sense that I gained practical knowledge of a range of different techniques.

But my real interests lie in immunology, particularly tumour immunology. Thats where Im currently looking for post-doctoral work.

13. inamorata Banned Banned

I see you're a PhD student too. What field/topic?

14. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Developmental biology (lately more evo-devo). I put a link to the unofficial final version in the spuriousmonkey thread.

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=33781

i'm quitting science. I had enough of it.

15. beyondtimeandspace Everlasting Student Registered Senior Member

Congratulations on your PhD submission, and welcome to the boards. I'm fairly new here too, but it's not difficult to see the depth that these forums offer.

*Acceptance of a gift honors the giver.*

16. inamorata Banned Banned

Im hearing ya spuriousmonkey. Ive often thought about trying something different myself, but Ive spent so much time on this im willing to give it another chance, in the hope that working in a field that I am very interested in might spark up that love for it i had when I first undertook my PhD.

A PhD does that to you though. Although sometimes I think Im just not made for research. Long lonely hours in a lab, working day after day for little or no immediate feedback. I would prefer a job with more public contact, scientific PR or regulatory affairs even. Still early days though. A good postdoctoral position in the first instance is probably the most beneficial thing I could do for my career at this point. A few years in research can be useful when planning on branching out into non-academic fields.

Sweden is looking mighty inticing at this point too.......

17. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

I did my first degree in biology, and figured at the end that I wasn't cut out for lab work. Public contact appealed to me as well - as such, I ended up spending nearly 2 years serving idiot customers at UCI. Made me wish I had sought out a lab job... but, with no experience, the longer one waits the harder it gets.

At least you have a Ph.D, Dani - something I never found the funding for. I would definitely stick with science if I were you, since most other employers may tend to see you as overqualified.

Hey: I'm sorry to sound so negative. Maybe well-informed PR is the job for you, with those looks...

18. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Well welcome and man you're cute..... ;D (that fullfills my desperation acting requirement of the day)

No, that isn't me in my avatar.

19. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

True!

Liar!

20. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

good god thats not pleasent. can you edit and delete that please.

21. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Fuuuuuck! I am blinded by fat!

22. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

that smilie is also not pleasent.
    is this thread jacking?
    whoops
    sorry. *shouts* SORRY.

23. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Stop posting those crappy pictures. You defile this thread.