Another American Civil War?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Thoreau, Jul 1, 2009.

?

Do you think we will have another American Civil War within the next 10 years?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. I don't know.

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

oh please. nothings going to happen.

that map of america being taken over was a joke. the only thing it made me want to do was play risk.

only a moron would act like hes got it all figured out like that...

california goes to china? half its population is mexican, if anything its going to mexico.

either way, i dont see how a civil war would work at this day and age. we are way too much tied down by technology, a standing rebellious militia would stand no chance against a national army, which controls everything from the nukes, to the resources, jet planes, tanks, ships.

Its not like the French revolution, or American revolution, or the American Civil war... where just grabbing some hunting rifles can actually put you on par with the government army...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Umm you've not been paying attention the last 8 years huh?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

enlighten me, apparently I am missing something

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Why do so many weird statements come out of the Russian media?
    Do you think draqon could enlighten us? Enlighten anyone?

8. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

I'd like to know, too.

9. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

I think we make just as dumb remarks and judgments about them. (I am assuming you are American)...

Its what people do when they judge foreigners, make stupid assumptions...

This guy being a supposed high ranking official and an expert makes it worst however.

10. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Standing antagonistic "militias" have stalemated the most powerful military in the world, for the past 8 years.

All they have to do is not give up, that's it.

11. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

We are winning the war.

Our kill to death ratio is higher, we have the countries resources in our hands. Even if we leave Iraq today, (which I hope we do), we have not really lost the war.

Statistically speaking 4000 dead for a war that has lasted since 2003 is nothing, compared most other wars.

Back home...

Democrats, republicans, liberals, conservatives will never reach a point where they dislike each other so much that they will start a war against each other. Geographically speaking we are too intertwined for this to ever happen successfully anyways.

A civil war within our country is within our own turf. We know the territory, we speak the languages, we understand the culture, technically it should be much easier than Iraq for a national army to fight that off.

12. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

Putting my stubbornness aside... I admit. You do have a point~~

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I just don't think it would be as hard to fight something like that off at home.

13. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

I'm almost sure he was referring to Afghanistan, not Iraq.

14. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

You don't think the U.S military would have a tougher time fighting asymmetric war against it's own fellow Americans?

I'm thinking "Morale" might be a problem. Also the U.S has the greatest proportion of armed citizenry in the world. No need to import guns...though they probably would anyway.

15. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Both. Afghanistan is easier to "defend" asymmetrically because of so many mountains.

Kurds or Shiites will cause a Iraq civil war in a few years....hopefully (for U.S citizens sake) the U.S stays out of it and just does it's usual arm one/both sides thing.

16. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

About morale, we clearly did not have a problem like that in our previous civil war. I think if we reach a point where killing our own was the only option, morale would not really seem to be a problem.

Fighting in your own turf, the territory where you understand the people, language, culture to me seems like it would clearly be easier to fight your own.

I am sure the language and culture barriers between American soldiers and Iraqi's is one of the key reasons as to why an occupation has not worked efficiently. It makes it harder for citizens to understand the intent of the soldiers, also makes it harder for soldiers to track down the enemy.

Come to think of it this is a very difficult subject to really analyze, because it really depends on the scale of the civil war we are fighting. If its just 1% of Americans we have a problem, but its solvable... if its half the country divided in two, most definitely the casualty rate will be significant. Depending on the type of civil war the outcomes can prove either one of us right.

But if its a war on the same scale as the one currently in Iraq, I don't see how it would not be easier if it was in our own territory.

17. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I agree the weak dollar has been unofficial policy because that is a simple way to keep American exports competitive, and really the only policy you can have when your trade policies are so screwed up.

18. Texas Bob Registered Senior Member

Umm...I think it is very possible.

Cap n trade for starters is an economic issue of immense proportions and sure to ruin our economy.

We have a want to be communist dictator in the White House and you think that doesn't have the potential to bring about real "issues"? :shrug:

Same guy in the house that is actively supporting Manuel Zelaya?

Zelaya tried to extend the term limits among other unconstitutional issues in Honduras and the Congress and their Supreme court acted in a constitutional manner to have the want to be thug removed.

Yet MSNBC and the "All Barack Chanel" (i.e. ABC) are helping our fearless leader spin the lie this was a military coup?

Guess Barack never met a thug dictator he didn't like or maybe he is planning to try and pull off the same thing here in the States some day? The latter is my guess.

19. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Perhaps a bit late, but...

Which means he's probably very comfortable spewing bullshit in order to achieve a goal. In this case, his goal is apparently to make money by capturing the interest of clueless people. Most of what he wrote was just laughable. I mean, anyone who thinks that TN has closer cultural and economic ties to the north-east region than the south-central/east region obviously doesn't have a f*cking clue.

20. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

I doubt the country would split. Americans( and most people in general but americans doublely so) would be to lazy and uninformed to create a functioning government.

21. superstring01 Moderator

Based upon what do you make this claim? I mean, are Americans claiming to have read numerous books on 9/11, then when challenged on this claim, finding themselves incapable of coming up with any information on them?

If this is the case, then you're right, and--it would appear--in good company to boot!

~String

22. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Ahh, minor detail, Obama has not been spinning anything on Honduras. He is addressing much more important details with Russia and has been making some great progress in improving US - Russian relations.

Obama is pushing for a peaceful civilian resolution of the dispute in Honduras...not at the point of a gun and that makes sense to me. So you want us to believe that the pictures we have seen on TV of the military in the streets bearing guns is just an illusion?

As a matter of principal, millitary takeovers are never good.

23. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Geez, Joe, it seems that you're becoming a one-man major cheering section for Pres Obama in addition to being the main man for defending him against all comers. What's the deal, Joe? Ya' love the man that much????

Baron Max

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.