Anomalous properties of lithium

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Lamont Cranston, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Lamont Cranston Registered Senior Member

I spotted recently that the commonest isotope of Li is Li-7 (atomic no=3, mass number = 7). This means that the nucleus contains 4 neutrons.

According to conventional wisdom the 4th neutron is not necessary, because the nuclear stability only requires 3 neutrons.

This pattern certainly holds true of all other light elements where the no. of protons = the no. of neutrons in their most abundant isotope.

Can anyone explain the anomalous nature of lithium?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Lithium is not anomalous in behaviour.

Li-7 being more common than Li-6 is explanable by Big-Bang Nucleosynthesis (there are two pathways I know of for Generating Li-7).

Lithium 6 on the other hand is very difficult to make in the big-bang, it requires the fusion of He-4 and Deuterium which has a very small cross section (it's not very likely to happen except in a very small proportion of collisions as detailed inPrimordial synthesis of Li-6 and the rate of alpha-/d, gamma/ Li-6.

Lithium 6 is as stable as Lithium 7, it's just that as it turns out it takes very little energy to turn Lithium 6 into Tritium.

So why is there more Lithium 7 than Lithium 6 in the universe? It's not because Lithium 7 is stable and Lithium 6 isn't, it's just because Lithium 7 is easier to make in a big bang than lithium 6 is.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

A fine answer.
    :worship:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lamont Cranston Registered Senior Member

Many thanks Trippy. Sounds feasible...

8. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Yes, if it isn't the right answer, it ought to be.

9. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

:shy:
    Thanks.