Anime

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by CounslerCoffee, Jun 12, 2003.

1. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

Never did see the live Zeiram movie, but I saw it sitting on the shelf once at some store.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Guyute Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Despite going agianst one of the greatest anime's, not being anime, I will still be eager to see how it turns up.

WellCooked you must be intrigued.

-Guyute

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Not in the least, I'm sickened! I would not watch a EVA live action unless by gun point!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Guyute Senior Member Registered Senior Member

This can be arranged......

: )

8. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Wasn't Akira planned for a live action movie...what a diaster that can be.

9. Guyute Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Was the production of it cancelled???

-Guyute

10. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

If there something decent in this world then let's hope so.

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

AMEN!

need to add more characters

12. Guyute Senior Member Registered Senior Member

WellCooked is gone for a breif period of time

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Keep the anime rolling!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Guyute

13. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Lupin the 3rd needs to be shown more on Cartoon Network. Its an old anime but damn awesome.

14. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

I saw final fantasy: spirits within last night on scifi channel. It was awesome! The graphics is amazing because for awhile I thought people in it are real. That movie seems like a technological break through to me. They need to work on facial expressions next because in the movie there is none. The story is confusing and lame however.

15. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Recently: Brigadoon, Nior, Princess Mononoke, Cardcaptor Sakura.

16. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Reason it died. The name was also working against the movie since the main audience, 13-18, year old boys were expecting something remotely related to the beloved video game series but got no such thing.

17. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Most of the video games, from what I've seen, are more or less independent, sharing common plot devices and gameplay, but for the most part, seperate. The movie was a big seperation, though.

18. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

What good movies could be recormented, its abit hard to figure out whats movies and whats series goin true this thread, so i stole WCFs genre sample from page 5.

Im looking for anime movies with a good story, within the follow catogories(1 or more):
    Action, Sci-fi, Fantacy, Noir ("dark" anime catagory not just Noir the anime), violent.

i dont mind ecchi or worse, if the storie is good. But im not looking for it.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2004
  19. Maia Crimson Spirit Registered Senior Member

As far as anime goes?

Out of the ones I've seen, I will consider two of them to be among the greatest works of art I've ever seen. Shingetsutan Tsukihime and Serial Experiments Lain. They both defy the stereotypical characteristics of anime, such as silly crushes or sweatdrops or "accidentally" falling over each other. There are no filler episodes and they're both very coherent and concentrated, so everything ties together. Shingetsutan Tsukihime, in addition, has beautiful character development, and Arcueid's in particular can only be compared to that of a blossoming lotus. It's the piece that made me cry at the end, the first time since several years. Serial Experiments Lain is a work of art that requires a bit of an educated mind to appreciate. Some knowledge of Eastern religious philosophy would certainly help in understanding it, and remember to abandon duality. The point is to not expect the piece to have a definite purpose, and to not see everything for what they appear to be. I have not seen Perfect Blue yet, but I hear it's also one of those groundbreaking masterpieces.

Millennium Actress was excellently and flawlessly done, and the handling of the two worlds was a treat. I quite like how the piece avoids designating any one realm as 'real'. Although I must say, this one was a tad too "conventional", without any weirdness or good science fiction / fantasy elements for it to be in my true "wub list".

Ah-megami sama, or Ah! My Goddess in English, is one of my favorites even though Belldandy is a bit too unrealistic in terms of personality and though it gets sappy at times. I can't say too much about it because I've only seen the OVA's and the movie, none of the manga. I hear the manga is very well done?

Love Hina, also seen through anime (I don't read manga, you see), is one of my favorite romantic comedy pieces. The main character is endearing to me because he's got all those flaws and is basically a loser. I can relate to that. Motoko happens to be my favorite character. Where else can you get raw power, skill, grace, rage, and blushing femininity in one? :bugeye:

Neon Genesis Evangelion, I've only seen one of the movies and nothing of the series, so I can't say anything reliably yet, but the movie was well done. I'm a sucker for things like that. The violins were a nice break from the "standard" anime soundtracks. This is the sort of thing that everyone either loves or hates to the death. There is no middle ground.

Slayers Next and anything Slayers-related is a little thing I had when I was little. I'd always see five minutes of it at a time accidentally on TV, and I've always yearned to watch it someday. Well, finally I got the chance to see all of it, and I quite love it. Perhaps I'm biased; let's face it, it has far too many filler episodes, and the character development and the plot is a tad clunky. But I still like the clumsy character development, and the curious, overshadowed Zelgadiss/Amelia relationship as well.

Slayers Try decided to give PLOT the first chair, and had an overall better storyline, but I feel that came at the cost of the development of the characters. Gourry in particular was completely demoted to 'grunt' and 'occasionally failed comic relief' status. The characters became less relatable and less lovable. The Gourry/Lina relationship was not even mentioned, and only vaguely referred to during the revenge of the fox guy at the mountain where the Hikari no Ken gets stolen. It fails at the thing it focused on; the plot is a very cliched one used by any wannabe science fiction artist who whips up some political system and world power balance. Even so, I have this absurd love for anything Slayers-related. Odd.

Onegai Teacher, or Please Teacher, is one of my favorites. I always love sappy romances. The use of Inoue Kikuko's voice for Mizuho Sensei was a great, great touch, and she really was able to use the full range of emotional expression (that Belldandy character was just all sugar with zero spice), albeit emotional expression that was very girly. I like how this isn't quite the dream marriage that adolescent females dream of (if CLAMP had made it, this would've turned out to be a sickeningly perfect marriage. Luckily for us, CLAMP didn't. Well, not that I have anything against CLAMP). The character development here ties very well with the plot. It is also very clunky and clumsy, but a good sort of clumsy that is very endearing. The Mizuho/Kei relationship and their feelings, with the ups and downs, are very real, and is a very relatable, down-to-earth, non-platonic relationship that is very charming. The humor here was also a treat.

Onegai Twins is most definitely for die-hard Onegai Teacher fans (that's me), because you need to be able to overlook several major flaws, otherwise you won't be able to enjoy it. If you don't overlook them, you'll keep thinking about things like how they did complete injustice to Matagu's character, how we saw absolutely zero development of Hyousuke's relationship, how we saw absolutely zero development of Mizuho/Kei's relationship, how the plot and character development was quite clumsy and subpar. I love how the characters are drawn, though. The music in the piece is very good, which is rare for such a subpar piece, though I was a tad disappointed with the absence of a middle theme song(like the one where Mizuho does her monologue). It also couldn't have hurt to add a good monologue at the risk of being seen as copying Onegai Teacher; it would've been a worthy risk. Also, several fan service scenes could've been omitted, but those things are to be expected. The humor is great, however. I laughed nonstop. It's also funny how the two girls use voice actress names as their fake names, if you were able to catch that.

Chobits is a very charming piece. Never mind the fact that they don't even bother to hide the filler episodes with zero new content. Never mind the fact that the DVD's are so stretched out in utterly shameless milk-the-money-mode. Never mind how the endplot was a tad rushed and didn't quite work. These flaws are completely redeemed and more by how utterly CHARMING and LOVABLE Motosuwa's and Chii's relationship is. Motosuwa is filled with doubt all the way, with plenty of people spouting realistic and sensible advice in his ear, but his love for Chii blossoms nonetheless. Motosuwa's voice actor performance was one of the best I'd ever seen; in no other voices do I see the emotions flowing out so expertly as to seem natural (side note: I never watch dubbed anime, ever, so I'm talking about the original Japanese sound). That's something that's a little hard to catch. The humor was well done, too.

Angelic Layer is something I'm currently in the middle of. It feels very much like Cardcaptor Sakura, with similar music and the trademark "ripples of water" scene (that thing must be CLAMP's signature or something). I do like to see little kids kicking @$$, and I love how it deviates from the norm by actually having the main character lose on occasion (although Misaki's win rate is about to rival that of Goku's ... :bugeye: ). One might claim how unrealistic it is for Misaki to bounce back so easily, but keep in mind that she's still a kid. It's harder for us old crones to bounce back than a bouncy, energetic, hope-filled kid. Ehehe, it's good to be young.

Hagane no Renkinjutsushi, or Full Metal Alchemist, nothing to do with Full Metal Panic, is something I've only seen the beginning of, since it's still currently running in Japan and fansubs obviously can't appear before the originals are shown. The beginning, however, looks very promising. It's very dark, deep, with philosophical arguments, psychological drama, and theories about science and society with morality tied up with it all. Power is given a very dark side here, and it seems significant that they'd name the head of their military "the fuhrer". It casts a very negative image on the organization that the main character is in and supports. I hear that it goes steadily subpar towards the end, but it's not even halfway done yet. Perhaps it's just a lull.

I've only seen a few episodes of Kenshin, the ones where he faces off against Saito and after which the minister gets assassinated, but these ones were the best. The ferocious swordfight of the faceoff was simply stunning. Pity this series lacks a listenable opening soundtrack, that thing is so hideous it'd scare away half its fans. The historical explanations here are superb (you can later compare it to Peacemaker Kurogane, which has a very different historical perspective), but the swordfighting is enough to entertain the uneducated mind.

Anyway, these are the ones I feel comfortable commenting on.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2004
  20. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Neon Genesis Evangelion the series, is 25 excelent episodes +/- 1 or 2. But after the 25th episode the creators must have suffered a joined heartattack because the 26th and final chapter is crap, no worse.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Death and Rebirth, is like watching the serie on fast forward,i think it was created by merging clips from the series, but cannot realy tell as i only seen part of the first 30 min.

very nice reviews maia

21. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Maia,

You have good taste, Shingetsutan Tsukihime (Vampire Moon Princess… rough translation) and Lain were awesome!

Here is my review on both

Shingetsutan Tsukihime:
    The main character is walking along all of a sudden he sees this blonde, next scene the main character is standing there covered in blood, he has a bloody dagger in hand, and he’s standing next to 17 dismembered pieces of that blonde! By the way the next day the blonde is revived and thanking him and wishes to employ him! If you don’t find that sucking you into seeing this anime nothing well!

Lain:
    Lain is a mind altering anime (like EVA) unlike EVA lain makes perfect sense in the end!

Sorry am not in the mood for well writen reviews.

22. Zero Banned Banned

(the real Maia)

Hehe, thanks. I know a couple of anime fanatics, so I get tidbits of information on what's really good and what's not.

But me? Good taste? Someone who is obsessed with Slayers? I think not. :bugeye:

--Long Live the Female Messiah.

23. Maia Crimson Spirit Registered Senior Member

And just to convince the skeptics ...

--Long Live the Female Messiah.