Anime

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by CounslerCoffee, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

FLCL is weird as hell. The story is like, some space criminal chick lands right in the middle of this town, and lives with this kid who has his own problems to deal with, like regular middle-school problems, right. And then, he start growing guitars and robots out his fuckin' forehead...it's real fuckin' weird. Funny though...but weird.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. I don't know It's the pun police, run! Registered Senior Member

Yeah, furi kuri is one of the few animes I can say I really enjoy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Didn't notice much about the "regular middle-school problems" though.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. crazyfreespirit "Custom User Title" Registered Senior Member

I love Samurai champloo, Ghost in the shell, Inuyasha, and I just started watching Full metal alchemist, and it seems good. Never seen FLCL though...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tnerb Banned Banned

never seen a site for anime games?

8. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Not and retained my sanity. Anime has its niche but, like so many other things, any potential fan-crap it could ever spawn will inevitably turn out to be a terrible abomination before man and nature. This means fan sites, fan art, fan stories, games... even too much in-depth discussion.

It nausiates me even now.

9. CielChocobo Registered Member

I love anime. My collection is over 700+gb right now. I'm not even up to date in my database, lol.

10. hypermelissa Registered Member

I love anime too. I watch so much of it...mmmm, right now I'm getting Full Metal Panic 'cause I've heard its good. And Wolf's Rain too, watched a bit of that. Its awesomeness.

11. mountainhare Banned Banned

Anime sucks.

12. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Mountainhare, the level of discourse you bring to the forums is astoundingly high in quality. I applaud you.

13. Ayodhya Registered Senior Member

Does anyone watch good anime like Cowboy Bebop or Ghost in the Shell? Even Neon Genesis Evangelion?

These are by far the only ones which require any sort of intellect to understand in their entirety.

14. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

They are all good.

Have you watched Blueseed?

15. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

PlanetES was excellent, and if you want "hard to get your head around", watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

16. Ayodhya Registered Senior Member

Decent. Nothing too special. The animation had beautiful integration with the CGI which I thought made it better.

17. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

I am a huge fan of the Ghost in the Shell TV series. The movies are also good, but not up to par, I say.

Cowboy Bebop is also quite the show.

18. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

Yeah, most of the series sucked....

KUSANAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

But the end was uber.

19. Craven Moorehead Registered Senior Member

I watched a couple episodes of Eureka 7 on Adult Swim. It looked promising.

20. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

I hate Eureka 7. I thought it could have been excellent, and then it turned into crap after a few episodes.

The main character is more obnoxious than Shinji Ikari and the fighting is terrible.

21. Ayodhya Registered Senior Member

Shinji Ikari should've just been shot at the beginning, but obviously, since the rest of the series was so well planned out, we can assume that the directors needed and/or wanted Shinji to be as such.

Cowboy Bebop has just the right amount of philosophy and action to keep my attention.

22. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

I don't really think EVA was very well planned out at all. It was basically a bad Super Robot cartoon, with "esoteric themes" that were not developed until the last few episodes.

Why I liked the last episode of the anime series was that it was an admitted screwjob instead of an ending everyone expected. It was trippy and interesting and went back to the intriguing themes that were hinted at, but never fully disclosed in the series.

Ultimately, Eva felt to me to be one of those animes with tremendous potential, but horrible writing wasted on crappy character "development" ruined it.

23. Alastor Registered Member

This isn't Alastor. I'm not an a-hole and won't go posting things on his account without telling people it's not him. Not sure how many posts he has or whatever but blah, he left his laptop open, his fault.

Just thought I'd throw a few out there...

Shaman King: Cliché as all hell. The plot isn't bad excluding the common, anime 'tournament' thing. It's worth a watch, the show can be addicting although when looking back one may think... "What the hell? That was so stupid."

FLCL (Fooly Cooly): Probably the best anime I've ever seen. Sadly enough I haven't seen episode 6, the episode that's supposed to sum everything up. Haruko's hot, that's all I've to say here. The plot seems outrageously random and silly, and so does the show, but even when it comes to action... this show wins hands down. 9.5/10

Rurouni Kenshin: Badass swordsman known as "The Man Slayer" (Battousai) decides to never kill again and live with a girl who owns a dojo. He uses a special katana, dull where it's meant to be sharp, sharp where it's meant to be dull, to keep from killing. Unfortunately, people just keep coming to take our hero out--but he's so badass no one can. It's one of those 'almost-every-episode-has-a-new-problem' animes, rather than having long 'sagas' such as DBZ... this allows for more diverse fights though, of course.
    Some parts of Kenshin become intensely deep--all around, a great anime... Especially the later episodes/movies that go back into his past of being the Battousai. 9/10

Fullmetal Alchemist: "To obtain, something of equal or greater value must be lost" Two brothers studying the art of 'alchemy', a magic with this basic rule, lose their mother. Trying to bring her back and forgetting the rule, the older loses his arm, and the younger loses his body. The older one seals his little brother's soul to a suit of armor, once again forgetting the rule, and thus losing a leg. Fortunately enough, 'automail' allows him a robotic arm and leg. They go through the show trying to find the "Philosopher's Stone", the stone that allows alchemy without "The Law of Equivalent Exchange". This will allow the younger brother, Alphonse, his body back, and Edward, the older brother, his limbs. They, of course, are met with a plot-turning realization about the stone through research, and ... you will just have to see yourself. =)
    This anime is extremely intense and deep--great fight scenes, music, and animation. It, too, has very humorous moments. Very enlightening--especially the last episodes. 10/10.

Read or Die (Movie): Two lesbian cops with crazy powers do crazy things. The last time I saw this was a while ago, and I didn't even see all of it--but from what I saw it had extremely good animation and some intense moments.

DB/Z/GT: If you don't know DBZ you don't know anime. This is probably the most popular cartoon of all time. Crazy 'hyper-fighting', talks that last even longer than the battles... this show has everything. I give Dragonball 9/10, Dragonball Z 10/10, and Dragonball GT 6/10 (they really, really could have done better.
    To the DBZ fans--would you agree that they should have ended DBZ at the end of the Cell Games and started GT with Buu? That really would have been the perfect ending for Z.

Naruto: Ninja academy... (yeah, you heard me)... The main character is the cliché, squeaky voiced blonde who is somewhat scorned by many through his childhood, and hopes to be the "Hokage" or leader of his Village Hidden in The Leaves. This show gets extremely deep and dramatic, as well as hilarious. The animators seem to 'switch off' from episode to episode--thus sometimes the fights are absolutely amazing, and sometimes they're... (To any Naruto fans... Naruto vs. Kiba... we all know no one wants to see that crap again). Although slow to do so, as the plot unfolds and everything comes to place, you will find yourself sucked in and begging for more. (Even my sister, a total cynic toward the show and most anime grew to enjoy it more than I in the end.) 10/10

Bobobo-bobo-bobo: Did you think I was going to leave this out? Bobobo is pretty much a random show based on teasing and making fun of other animes such as Naruto, DBZ and even Pokemon. The show is strictly based on comedy and complete randomness. My advice to you is to watch it with an open mind. I give Bobobo a solid 8.5/10... only because it can get a bit annoying at times. =)

Prince of Tennis: Need I say anything? C'mon, just look at the title.

Cardcaptors: Good times, watching Fox Kids when I was younger. I never really watched Cardcaptors much, but now when look back and think how incredibly cheesy it was, I'm glad I didn't. If I remember the show really wasn't all so that bad, and not nearly as cheesy as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but still... I can't really give a rating on this one.

Beyblade: Same story with Cardcaptors except I used to absolutely love this show. A bunch of kids can control spinning tops with whatever strange power and oh, you cannot forget... Bit beasts! What are these? Spirits that have somehow found their way inside of a beyblade--they can be summoned at will and range from dragons to tigers to turtles, to phoenixes and even monkeys. Strangely enough there was always some pleasure that still sits with me of watching two tops doing crazy moves around gates and rocks, then crashing into each other. The music (American version) is really punk-ish (boo) with only a few great songs. I believe the Japanese music to the show was much better and was more so straight up rock but I've only hears a few songs. At one time I'd give this show 9/10... but even with all the memories this show grants me, 6.5/10...
    Sorry, Kai, but seeing you cry really pissed me off.

I'll just sum this up with one more...

Samurai Champloo: Amazing. I haven't seen many episodes but this show was absolutely amazing. Think the east side, now think the EAST side and put them together---you have a kickass, badass samurai and 'scratching' noises every time someone cusses. The show was hilarious and intense, deep and awesome, sick and nasty (...)
    Samurai Champloo took a different approach toward the whole 'samurai' plot, and did a great job. Great music, great fights, great 'attitude', and great humor. Samurai Champloo, hands down, gets a 10/10.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2006