Animal TESTING

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by john smith, May 17, 2006.

?

Do you agree with Animal testing/research?

1. Yes.

25 vote(s)
    65.8%
  2. No.

13 vote(s)
    34.2%
  1. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

One approach to reducing the amount of unneccessary testing would be to have a public register of all tests involving animals. It could have headings like Species of Test Animal, Short Test Summary, Possible Benefits. Then an independent group of Vets and Biologists could add an additional listing of probable levels of pain and discomfort, organ damage, etc. that the test would entail.

Then PETA and pretty much everyone could begin by attacking the clearly frivolous tests. If the possible benefits to humans are very low and the tests are clearly torture and the species involved is say dogs, well even die hard animal testing advocates will agree to that the test is not justified.

That way we can whittle away from the worst cases and work upwards. In most discussions it comes down to no testing versus testing. A worthy philosophical discussion, but also a distraction. The fact is some testing is a waste of time and hurts animals unneccesarily. We can begin there and begin debating as the cases become more confusing.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i have to agree with it, because without it, i would be dead by now. sacrificing mice and rats for the good of mankind is ok with me, its when they test bleach by putting it in cats eyes that makes me sad

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

That's a good follow up to what I was getting at. If we discuss animal testing in general you want to defend it. There are some who want to get rid of the whole thing. This is stalemate. However, perhaps most people would agree to stop the test you mentioned about with cats and bleach - I have no idea if this is a real test or not, but certainly similar things have been done. We can move together through worst cases until we lose consensus or majority.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No it isn't, in fact testing on people would definitely yield better results.

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I'm against it but I understand that sometimes things can't be ideal.