Animal Domestication

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Orleander, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Well that makes sense. Dogs and cats domesticated themselves and moved right into our homes. Pigs still live outdoors, at least they all did until the "Vietnamese potbellied pig" craze of the past couple of decades.

As I mentioned before, dogs are not as good hunters as their wolf ancestors. Their teeth, metabolism and instincts have spent 15,000 years adapting to the life of a scavenger. Except for the largest, toughest ones, the farthest most "feral" dogs go is the nearest garbage pile.

Cats have only been with us for five or six thousand years, so they have not had the time to evolve into a new subspecies. Many domestic cats are encouraged to kill rodents, and lost or abandoned cats still know how to hunt. Yet their favorite prey is still rodents and other small "vermin," and that's what attracted them to our habitations in the first place. So "feral" cats are just as likely as dogs to hang out on the fringe of civilization, keeping the rats in check, rather than migrating back into the woods. In fact, at least here in the USA, many communities have a population of undomesticated cats that they feed and encourage to hang around, just like they did five thousand years ago.

Pigs are scavengers too, and it's not unlikely that they invited themselves into our settlements to clean up the garbage. I don't know how many lost or abandoned pigs there actually are in the world, because someone is likely to come along and help themselves to the free pork chops. But if there are any, I wouldn't be surprised to see them rummaging through the garbage near our homes, with the dogs.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I've heard about packs of feral dogs attacking people. Would they eat a person?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Had a vicious attack in Dallas just a few days ago. A pack of pit bulls and other vicious dogs attacked a woman at a convienence store. When a man jumped in to help, the dogs attacked him. They were finally driven off by several people with clubs and sticks.

Would they have eaten the people if things had been different? Why would I think otherwise? Of course they'd have eaten him!

People don't like to think about it, but humans are just another animal ...plain ol' flesh n' blood. (Of course, I'm one of few who walks around with a halo glowing around his head!)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I wish some dogs would eat YOU, BM.

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

My girlfriends take care of that, but thanks for the thought, VI.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

9. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Somebody ban this spammer please.

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Dogs are a pack-social species like humans. We've bred them to be comfortable in larger packs than wolves, which rarely exceed ten. And they're not as belligerent, especially during times of plenty. But still, if they fall on hard times they will regard other packs as rivals for scarce resources, including human packs. Most animals have no respect for the dead, so if a dog pack killed a human they would then regard the body as just a big tasty pile of protein.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

So they would be no different than baby eating dingos then?