Animal cruelty

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by razz, Dec 26, 2001.

1. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

James R you are stuck in the fallacy that your warped moral code should be the one running the universe. Well it doesn't and I hope it never does. Why? Becuiase you seem to think you have the right to dictate what other people should believe, eat, think, and do. You seen to think that just becuase you have decided something it is fact. You have provided no fact that eating meat is morally wrong, non. All you have provided is opinion and in the end opinion is nothing more than hot air.

Now here is the question to you James R? You are stuck on a lush tropical island that has some natural herd animal that thrives there. There is one predator group besides you, a small family of bobcats that if you tried you could wipe out, but if you ignored eventually you are kitten chow. There is also a crate of the seeds you need to have a healthy vegetarian diet if you take up about half the island with your diet. Now if you wanted to thrive there is not strict moral way out of this. You have to do something you don't like and you are gonna have to keep doing it. I wonder if you'll figure out what that is.

Now I want to speak about your moral compass. You seem to have a ver strong yet narrow one. You equate the eating of chicken with the murdering of people. To me this speaks of a complete lack judgement. You have no abilitiy to judge that some things are not as harmful as others. You seem to see leaving the toilet seet up on the toilet as the same as beating your wife. While both are not conducive to a happy wife, one everyone can agree is harmless and the other is morally bankrupt.

I have no problem eating Beef, Chicken, Pork, Shrimp, Buffalo, Shark, Tuna, Mahi Mahi, sowrd fish and countless other animal measts. The reason is simple this animals are not self aware like we are. None of them ask themselves, what are we doing here? They simply eat, drink, and reproduce. Now I have a problem with eating monkeys, apes, dolphins, dogs, cats, and whales of all sorts becuase we have seen in these animals the very beginnings of self awareness. They ask themselves Why am I here? Now human being I won't eat unless I survived a planecrash in the Alps. First I would eat the airline food, then search the luggage, then I'd eat the pilot and copilot.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

No. I don't remember you saying that. Mayhaps they should cut down on the stockpiling of meat by about 60%, and then less land will be used and wasted.

I don't like morals, they have far too many religious overtones for them to be of my liking.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Laika Space Bitch Registered Senior Member

EmptyForceOfChi,
    Where do you go?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

TW Scott:

Of course it should. How could I believe otherwise? You think your warped moral code should run the universe, too. Don't pretend you don't.

Not at all. I simply tell them what I believe is right or wrong. It is then up to them to either act morally or not. Ultimately, it's your conscience you have to answer to - if you have one.

On the contrary, I have given you many good reasons for not eating meat. (Want some more?) But you haven't managed to come up with one defensible reason in favour of it, other than your own selfish whims.

Why don't you deal with the real world? You can set up as many of these moral conundrums as you like, and never actually face up to the real world you actually live in. Stop running away, TW Scott.

Again, you are completely wrong. I have never equated the eating of chicken to the murdering of people. I have never said a chicken is as valuable as a human being. But you assume that because a chicken is not equal to a human being, it deserves no ethical consideration or rights at all. I disagree wholeheartedly with you. I say we have a duty to protect the weak and defenseless. It is how we treat those whom we have power over that marks us as moral or immoral beings.

This is a straw man. You have invented a position which you imagine I hold. If only it was that simple. If only I wasn't so reasonable.

This is new. Now you think self-awareness is the key to whether a creature deserves to live or die. But you require a strict kind of self-awareness: self-awareness "like we are". Basically, this is just speciesism - the preference of your own species over all others for no morally defensible reason.

Spoken like another person who has never lived on a farm or spent any time watching cows or sheep or any of the other animals you eat. Again, life would be much simpler if a cow was simply a grass-eating automaton, with no feelings, no desires, no will to live, no thought. Your assumption that that is all a cow is says much more about you than it says about the cow.

The fact is, you're just more familiar with dogs and cats than you are with cows. You've spent enough time observing dogs and cats, probably. And you probably saw on TV or read in a book about the intelligence of dolphins and whales. And monkeys ... well, they're a bit like you, and you're self-aware, so...

Of course, I disagree even that your argument based on self-awareness is the best basis on which to make a decision to eat or not to eat. I prefer to look first at the ability of an animal to suffer. If it can suffer by being bred up for food, treated appallingly and then killed arbitrarily, that in itself should be enough to make a moral choice, regardless of self-awareness.

But at least I've got you thinking a little bit.

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Hapsburg:

Then you wouldn't mind if your family was kidnapped and tortured, I guess. You wouldn't care that a person doing that had no morals. Morals are for pussies. I suppose you'd be happy to throw away all criminal laws, too, since they are based on ethical principles.

Why don't you kill your dog and eat it?

9. artistmosi Registered Senior Member

This is been a great discussion. I want to thank James for his insights. I think he's right. The only justification that I can find for eating meat is that it's easier in our society to be a eater of meat. Just about everything we eat has meet in it. Being a vegetarian would mean I'd actually have to stop eating turkey sandwiches. I'd have to actually think about where to go for lunch and for dinner. I can't just got to the sandwich shop and expect to get a healthy vegetarian sandwich. Just about every sandwich has some meat on it. Most of the popular sandwich places but very little thought into a vegetarian sandwich.

I think most people are completely ignorant when it comes to nutrition, including myself. They wouldn't know how to live on a healthy vegetarian diet. There idea of a meal is some meat and a few vegetables on their plate to make them feel better.

I've given up beef. I want to give up chicken, but my diet has been so dependent on it since childhood that's it hard for me to make meals for myself that are healthy with protein and don't have chicken. I'm ignorant. I feel like fish is a healthy part of my diet. I'm not giving it up. I think James is right about lazy. It is much easier to keep doing what you're doing than to change.

I think the human race is coming to a point where we have to make some serious decisions. We've completely lost all respect for the natural world. Animals are just things we see at the zoo. Most of us really just don't care about them any more. Most of use couldn't give a crap how cows, chickens, or any other animals we eat live. People say they care about monkeys or apes and that's why they don't eat them. These people are lying. Cruelty to animals and nature has reached epedimic proportions. If you just surf the internet for information about endangered species or the crisis of deforastation on the internet, you will see true cruelty to animals. The greatest cruelty to animals is the destruction of their habitat. Maybe people feel like we don't need them anymore. A common theme on this thread is "Out of site, out of mind." I think this is becoming the philosophy of the modern world with regads to nature.

I hate that animals are being raised only to be killed for food. I think it is sad that humans inherited the earth and choose to be cruel to their fellow beings and war amongts themselves. I think animals have to eat eachother. This has been true since the time of the dinosaurs. The system that we have in place for the systematic slaughter of animals just doesn't seem right to me. Neither does the complete reliance on meat in our diets. It is not a system suited for intelligent and conscious beings. I think any reasonable person who visits or watches a video about slaughterhouses would agree.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  10. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually in all honesty our problem today is not "out of sight, out of mind" in the sense you think it is. We are not ignoring the suffering or the deforestation. What we are ignoring is when we do things right. We cry foul over a few ranches that use antiquited and cruel methods to make veal, but ignore the vast majority who use State of the Art and kinder methods. We cry foul over lumber operations but fail to see the reforesting that the same companies do. We complain about water purity near chemical plnats but fail to see the water heading out is cleaner than when it went in.

Our problem is the Media, bad news sells and they know it. So they go dig it up and then only provide half the story.want proof, just think of what they call a story about a local agency that works to make the world a better place. Media calls it a puff piece. Now give them a story of ugly connotations and suddenly it is hard news.

Now you might ask how this fits, but it is relatively. People like James R. have ben told that meat is immoral. he does a touch of fact checking and of course finds biased sites. So this reinforces his new belief. Add in meglomania and fear of facts and you get a fantaical group who believe they are superior to everyone else. They know that their morals are the only ones and if you don't agree you are just evil. There is no room for compromise in his world. There is no room to analyze situaltions, reality, or even the larger group dynamic. His credo is submit. Well I for one refuse.

11. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Sorry, I am not a fellow meglomaniac, but thanks for asking.

See if that was really true you last sentience in that comment would not be there.

Actually you have given me NONE, except for your own moral belief.

If you are just afraid of the question just say so, please. The reason you are afraid of it is that is like the real world.

Whooo, thank god, you are not under oath. 15 years baby.

No, if you had reading comprehension above the fifth grade you would see this was trying to tell you that you have no real perception. You did equate eating animals with murdering people. Where you got this equation I can only guess they both include death.

No I believe self awareness is factor of wheter or not I eat them.

Oh great gonna tell a farmer his business. Ooh smart. Actually I did raise a cow for 4H, did raise chciken for money and eggs, and have raised a pig for slaughter. So you can just back your freight train up.

Actually spent time with dogs, cats, horses, cockatiels, parrots, and many more animals. I put my lines of defination where they belong becuase I am informed.

I do make the moral choice and your failure to understand that just makes me wonder how well you listen.

Too bad you can't claim the same for yourself.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

TW Scott:

I found your last post particularly amusing and enlightening.

Partially correct. Notice that this thread is in the "Ethics, morality and Justice" forum. That means that we discuss - you guessed it - questions of ethics, morality and justice here.

I have given you good ethical reasons not to eat meat. They include:

1. Killing innocent beings purely for your own pleasure is wrong.
    2. The meat industry is, by its very nature, cruel in its practices towards animals, and it is not ethical to support the wrongdoing of others.
    3. Bringing animals into existence for the sole purpose of killing them for pleasure is wrong.
    4. It is good to protect those over whom you have power, and wrong to exploit them.
    5. Sentient creatures ought not to be treated as property. We abolished the slave trade, and the farming of meat animals is, in essence, no different to slavery.

Apart from that, there are other reasons:

6. Less land would be needed for agriculture if we didn't farm animals for food, which would help preserve the environment and biodiversity - generally considered a worthy aim by thinking people.
    7. A vegetarian diet is probably healthier in the long run than a meat-based diet. (This is a separate debate, so I haven't really mentioned it up to this point. Also, it isn't an ethical argument, but a health-based one.

And the list goes on...

On your side of the argument, on the other hand, we've had no ethical arguments. You made a stab at "what is natural is always good", but I've shown you that argument doesn't hold water. You also tried "we have no alternative but to eat meat, or we'll die", but that one didn't wash, either. Then there's the old "I'm human, so I'm special, and therefore I can do what I want with animals" argument, which requires some kind of justification - a justification which nobody has managed to provide yet.

And that's about it, I think. Did I miss anything?

Just for you, TW, I will respond to your question in a separate post below. It's irrelevant to the main argument, of course.

This is hardly worth responding to. But if you want to play "find the quote", TW Scott, go ahead. Quote me where I said the eating of animals was the same as murdering people - if you can.

Since your comprehension level is obviously way beyond fifth grade, I'm sure you will have no problem distinguishing between "equating" and "comparing". For that matter, I'm not sure I even directly compared the two, but I could be wrong about that.

A factor in what?

Interesting! Sounds like you have a vested interest. That might explain why you're so strident in your defense of meat eating.

Are you in the meat industry? Do you farm animals to sell for meat? If so, should anybody be surprised you'd be keen to defend your livelihood. They can hardly expect you to be objective, can they?

Tell me, TW Scott - in your extensive experience of rearing animals, have you ever spent any time just watching the animals in a close-to-natural setting? Do you keep your animals in small pens, or do they live in fields? Are they allowed to mix with other animals, or are they kept separate?

I have now asked you many times to explain your moral position. Here, you once again assert that your actions are moral. Do you think that, this time, you can actually back up that assertion?

On what basis is the killing and eating of animals morally justifiable?

When I first asked you this, the best you could come up with was to stick your fingers in your ears and say "I don't have to tell you if I don't want to." Now you've had a couple more days to think about a better answer. So...?

This is blatant misrepresentation, which again makes me wonder about your vested interests. Take one example:

About 4 billion chickens are killed every year in the United States. By far the majority of these are raised in tiny individual cages which are too small to allow the chicken to turn around in. These chickens virtually swim in their own excrement. They are fed hormones to fatten them up faster, which produce many deformities. Their legs often become too weak to hold them up - not that they ever get to use them anyway. These chickens never see sunlight. They live their entire, brief lives locked in those individual cages, before being killed by a machine built specifically for the purpose, but which nevertheless often does not do the job painlessly.

We're not talking "a few ranches" which treat chickens this way. The vast majority are treated this way.

You mention veal. What is veal? Baby calf, as you so helpfully pointed out before. At what age are these calves killed, TW? For what reason are they bred? What are their lives like during their brief lifespans? Do you know, or care? Or do you only care about the taste?

Reforested land, in general, has a fraction of the biodiversity of the old-growth forest it is meant to replace. But that's a different argument.

You mention the media. Tell me, TW Scott, how much does the meat industry spend each year promoting meat? Now tell me how much animal rights groups spend. Compare and contrast. Whose message is louder? Or is it that you only notice those pesky animal rights people?

Yes. Everybody is introduced to ideas at some stage.

Yes, and unbiased ones too. And I've read a number of books on the topic. I've read articles from both "sides" of this debate.

How much "fact checking" have you done? Not much, judging from the incorrect information you have posted.

As it happens, yes it does.

Again, I point out the simple fact that I keep giving you good moral reasons not to eat meat, but you are yet to dig up even one defensible reason to eat it. Enough said, really.

I make no apologies for not being a moral relativist. I do not believe "everybody is entitled to his own individual moral code". On the contrary, I believe that some moral positions are logical and defensible, while others clearly are not. Some actions really are evil - it isn't just a matter of perception.

As for compromise, what would that involve here? You continue on as usual, and I give up trying to convince you to change? That is not a compromise - it would be an acknowledgement that your position had some validity - which it does not.

The "group dynamic" you say? I've already pointed out that safety in numbers is a poor argument. The mob has been wrong in the past, and on this issue it is wrong now, too. I urge you to break free of the mob and start doing some independent thinking.

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

artistmosi:

Nice post. Obviously, I agree with you completely.

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

TW Scott:

Since I hate to leave a moral conundrum hanging, here's an answer for you:

This is unrealistic, of course. As I understand it, the facts are these (correct me if I am wrong):

1. There are an unspecified number of vegetarian herd animals on the island.
    2. A small family of bobcats lives on the island, which will surely kill me unless I kill them first.
    3. I could grow crops from the seeds which would feed me.
    4. (Not sure about this one) Growing the crops would be detrimental to the herd animals (and/or the bobcats)?
    5. Presumably, I don't have the option to leave the island.

First, it appears I have no choice but to kill the bobcats before they kill me. I have no particular qualms about that. If it comes to them or me, then I choose me. But if they don't bother me, I won't bother them. As to the manner of their death, I would try to kill them quickly and painlessly, rather than, say, starving them out by growing crops. I'd say the herd animals will probably thank me for eliminating a predator, too...

Now I need food. Options: grow the crops or kill the herd animals for food. There is, of course, one other potential food source. Assuming I kill the bobcats, I suppose I could live on bobcat for a while, though it depends whether I've killed them all at once or one at a time, and that would depend on necessity (whether they would kill me). Would I eat the bobcats? Depends on what net harm I would cause by using another food source.

Would growing the crops cause the herd animals to die? Or would it mean more food for them, too? If the latter, then it's win win, and I grow the crops. If the former, then assuming I have to kill the bobcats, I would probably eat the bobcats while they were available, in order to avoid harming the herd animals unnecessarily. Once that food source was exhausted, I would have to choose between growing crops or eating the herd animals.

The crops make a lot more sense. Raising herd animals for food would require growing food for them, too, which means I would need approximately 10 times as much crop to eat herd animals as if I ate the crops myself. Assuming that taking over some land to grow crops for myself would result in the deaths of some herd animals, it's still the lesser of two evils, since eating the herd animals themselves would involve a higher death rate.

I think that about covers it.

Your turn, TW Scott. What would you do on the same island?

15. vslayer Registered Senior Member

you are forgetting how it works in nature though:

in order for the bobcat population to grow, there must enough food to sustain them, therefore there must be enough herbivores, which means there must be plentiful stocks of whatever plants they feed on.

whatever nutrients you find in animals, you will find 10 times more abundant in plants, so therefore merging with the herd and eating the same foods as them would provide a way for you to live without affecting either heribove or carnivore

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Fair enough.

17. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

so hunting animals isnt in the question here? sorry if i missunderstood this. ok so hunting animals for food to survive is ok.

i think animals deserve the same rights as humans, yes thats very logical to me, we are animals just the sae, why shouldent we be treated equal,

the argument cant be this "humans are above animals in nature so we should be above them in law" because man made laws are not "natural" for one so you cant apply that with natural reasoning.

i have alot of issues regarding the laws on humans animals and violence in my country. humans are so protected here you cant even defend yourself properly here without going to jail for self defence. i can go and kill an animal and get away with it basicaly. but i cant even carry a gun, or a knife on the street to protect myself. and my area is really rough with alot of robbery and illigal gun crime, so people here need a self defence weapon to help protect themselves, im a self defence instructor/PT i bring this up with local police/PM's and they dont do anything about my suggestions.

you cant carry anything in england to protect yourself really. no mace no CS gas, no gun, no knife no batons, no nothing, i even got a kabuton taken off of me once by police (laughs),

but a single police officer here carries a gun, CS gas, telescopic baton, handcuffs, stun gun/Taser,

and that police officer walks the same streets that i walk so why does he need it and i dont? my house has been broken into over 5 times most were armed with guns/machettes/baseball bats,

i know its a little off topic, but it is linked with human laws, animals dont get enough laws, and humans get tooooooo many.

peace.

18. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually most herd animals eat food we humans cannot process. Sure you can feed them other foods but in an environment such as this that is not advisable and potentially hazardous to you and them. I did notice that you did not take the most responsible method. Yes, you kill the bobcats, all at once becuase you need meat for the short while and fur, not to mention tools. Then you start ranching half the island and farming the other half, culling the herd as needed for your meat needs. Otherwise your dooming the herd to slow death of starvation as you have to keep them out of your crops. All completely moral and exactly what we do today.

BTW I do believe in Animlas rights, they have the right to try to eat me before I eat them.

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

TW Scott:

You constantly amuse me. I write a long, detailed, on-topic response to you, and you completely ignore it. Instead, you choose to pursue your irrelevant diversion. Why are you avoiding the issues?

And so...?

This might, of course, upset the ecological balance on the island. Presumably, before I got there, the bobcats ate the herd animals. In a more realistic example, the bobcats would probably quite happily keep eating the herd animals rather than attacking me.

Humans don't need to eat meat.

No. We breed herd animals specifically so we can eat them. We do not kill them to keep numbers down. On the contrary, we breed more animals to keep numbers up, so there is always a ready supply of meat available for the selfish pleasure of youself and others like you. And, in doing this, we use approximately 3 times the farmland that we would need if we lived on a vegetarian diet.

Still wallowing in your depravity?

20. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Really? In the US, we're allowed to defend ourselves against Police injustice. We just have to prepeared for the consequences of our actions. Apparently, the British government treats its citizens like children...

21. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

I said I don't like morals, but that doesn't mean I lack a sense of right and wrong. If you kill a sentient animal of decent intelligence, then that's wrong, because they are capable of abtract thought, and can actually be cool, unlike the common clucker that makes my occassional meal. So, no, doing that to my family (which you seem to threatening), would not be "okay" in my book.

I don't own a fucking dog, government fiend. Why the fuck would I own something stupid and punkass as a canine?
    However, I do own two cats. And, no, I would not eat them. A cat, along with most caniones, primates, cetaceans, some predatory birds, some predatory fish, and some other mammals, are capable of abstract thought, and have an ability to "think outside the box" if you will. They are thus deserving of better treatment than a chicken. You may it favoritism, I call it whatever.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Hapsburg:

That's exactly what it means. A sense of right and wrong is what morality is.

Saying you don't like morals is the same as saying there is no right and wrong. Which means, anything goes.

Why is killing something which is capable of abstract thought worse than killing something which can feel pain, but may not be able to think abstractly? Why do you draw the line at abstract thought?

But not dogs? And not cows, or sheep, or goats, or presumably any of the animals you like to eat. How convenient it is for you that it is exactly the animals you love to eat the most that are also incapable of abstract thought. If it's true, that is.

23. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Hmmmm, that sounded suspiciously like some Administrator on this board. I wonder which one it could be?

James R. from the beginning you have tried to take the moral high ground by demonizing everyone who dares to oppose your views. You answer question in rhetoric. You answer criticism by questioning their ethics. You read the wrong meaning inot ever sentence. Here is a news flash for you. In a purely vegetarian society there is soon only room for humans and plants. All other animals wiped out to make room for our farms. Is that really the moral choice?