An Issue Raised in the Health of the Site Concerning Bullying

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Reiku, Dec 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reiku Banned Banned

An excerpt taken from a thread which raised this issue by me

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?p=2872347#post2872347

I think there should be a revolt against such actions. I think that such actions bring this site down.

I am not talking about a nazi-ship where good behaviour is completely essential, where bad behaviour is ultimately frowned and punished upon. I learned my mistake calling someone a specific name here. It was only out of long exposure of not being at this site and a reflection itself of how I was personally treated before that I did such a thing.

Make no mistake, such a thing will not happen again!

But, it has come to the point I think this place needs an official behavioural moderator! Strange idea? Just consider the facts...

...We have moderators whose opinions are unquestioned due to their own power in this place, under the protection most likely of their scientific knowledge which is often corrupted by their scientific bias, and let us not forget that scientists are not the be all and end all of the scientific justification, that they let by-pass the horrid contentions and behaviour of people here who target specific members in the act of blatent bullying.

The immediate response to these actions, is someone even beyond the usually appropriate super mod, who whilst doing a good job, in reasonable respects, cannot be honestly asked to moderate the forums for bad behaviour.

If this forum has the ability to hire mods (sometimes more than 1, or 2 and even 3 in the best of cases, but usually no more) may I ask that there be a mod who will act over the behaviour of sciforums, to maintain bullying at it's minimal.

Because this post has now quickly became a government post, I will take this to the gov. but leave a trace here for my own decision to raise the point, but make it also known it is imperative that with the right support we quell this behaviour quickly so the place does not suffer a bad reputation, since, atleast in my opinion, this place is held in a usually high regard.

To add to this statement, it is not high because it cracks down on threads which are unsubstantial with bullying tactics, but because it is high through the act's of excellent science discussions, which may have been impacted already through the use of left arm actions which cannot, or should not be tolerated!

ps. Please James, Plazma, take into consideration what this behaviour is doing to this place right now, if not taking into consideration what it is doing to the members. Atleast, for the sake of sciforums let it live in respectable harmony! And survive the next few years without becoming a deterrent for the people who may want to attend! Thanks

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reiku Banned Banned

I ask that this be brought to Plazma's attention immediately if we cannot sort things out with the supermods in the most effecient and fastest way possible.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Reiku Banned Banned

May I ask, that if this is put into operative motion, that the same general rules apply for infractions and warnings, with that it does with generally the bullying which goes on here. Neither should be tolerated. It isn't in primary school, secondary school, and certainly not generally in university as most have grown up by then.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

As a new moderator, I know my voice doesn't carry much weight. However, I do know that I consider the possibilities before taking ANY action, and have set myself a simple rule to follow where moderation is concerned - if it is something that I have any personal stake in (eg, I cannot claim to be totally non-biased), I read the post/posts in total, then wait at least half an hour to sort through them and get my emotions out of the way - this way I can ensure I am not moderating with my personal bias instead of moderating based on truth.

Additionally - in school, I personally feel that the whole "zero tolerance" thing is a load of crap - trust me, I fell on the wrong side of that plenty of times in high school, and nine times out of ten it was when I would defend myself against someone picking on me. I was bullied a LOT in high school due to my extremely light weight and early need for glasses, and many kids found it fun to physically harass me. Whenever I would ignore it, nothing seemed to get done. If I defended myself, we both got into trouble. This included a time where the teacher ended up physically restraining someone that was attacking me in gym class - I still got 3 days suspension, even though I hadn't thrown so much as a punch, for "instigating" the fight (which is curious as before he hit me, I had no idea who the kid even was).

Trying to enact a zero-tolerance rule... trust me, it just wouldn't end well.

8. Reiku Banned Banned

I am sorry sir, that you have placed that rule on yourself, because in general terms, it works well no doudt, but there are too many conlifcting arguements right now, just not with me, but in general, the state of the site which should always result in a form which is against bullying.

This does not alone lye in biased behaviour. This behaviour will lead in favorotism which will lead to obvious states of bullying which is able to get the pass card from mods, so long as it suits their opinion on the science being questioned.

No doubt, threads need to be removed, sometimes on a daily basis, but what about threads that are left open simply to entertain the ridicule of the post being questioned, and this leads to invites to a certain bullying tactic, I myself and obviously too many see to this today!

Let it be, that such government systems would never even be working or hired like it is here, if no complaints needed to be conducted. Equally, such complaints don't even need to be made, if sciforums was not governmentally-deformed as Britains system is.

9. Reiku Banned Banned

In my world, god knows were you had been brought up, but in school bullying was zero tolerance, so long as the person reported it.

So if I hadn't sat back, should I let anyone bully me? If I saw bullying occur, should I SIT back and bring out the popcorn.... I don't know If I like your attitude so much!

10. Reiku Banned Banned

And as for you being suspended for someone elses behaviour, just means the system you were under obviously was corrupt, just like any suspension I might recieve in the future for any misconduct bullying from someone else.

Don't worry, if I win my case, I will review every reason I have been warned and suspended on. Just so happens school might be like that, yet, this place does not have to be.

11. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

Mister, are so many threads in the government forum necessary? Your grievences are all essentially the same, you think you're being picked on. Believe me, you could have been treated a lot worse. Your very account could have been banned almost immediately as you were violating a life time ban. If you don't like it here, leave. You've made your views known, you know peoples views. Rehashing the same point repeatedly only serves to make you look a little whiny.

12. Reiku Banned Banned

I'd prefer if the ring leader in bullying of the sciforums, left this discussion. Trust me, your actions are very provable.

13. Reiku Banned Banned

And being picked on, is not just about me. There are many here who fall to the wrath of un-moderated threads of the name of bullying. It is sad, but true. Mine are but the corner stone of a much abused gem.

14. Reiku Banned Banned

I will not leave this site to hear it degrade to the same standards other sites have. I appreciate those who ultimately have control over it, plus the same respect I love those who come to it, to be repulsed by bully tactics which you close your eyes to, and sometimes participate and allow.

15. Reiku Banned Banned

And let me be whiney, by the way.

What are other's gonna do? Bully me from that too, like it seems you are trying to do? If it was anyone else but me, you wouldn't give two shits...

....Some advice, stay away from me and stop your confrontive behaviour if you don't wanna be seen as such!

16. Reiku Banned Banned

AN

Answer this, or hell be on you!

Do you think bullying should be stopped here... don't worry, I won't lay down, I simply want your opinion?

17. Reiku Banned Banned

I think the behavoural mod needs to be evaluated himself by every mod here in an action that is questioned by everyone, no doubt. So that they do not become victim to appropriate conduct.

I feel since the lack of comments, that too many are afraid of raising their voices. In which case I will hold every responsibility to anyone's complaints, that if this should be held in fault, that I be banned for life, and I promise to never return

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Reiku Banned Banned

And AN fucks off, most likely for a while, until he's devised a plan against me, or won't paerticipate at all, just like my last thread which I Answered his questions, yet afterwards, appeared atleats 3 times but made no effort to make a mention I had even made a reply, yet he accused me, after 2 days of closing a thread under no admission. Truth be told, he reopened the thread, but ignored it since I gave an appropriate answer!

Who gave him ultimate modship, seriously???? lol Him and prim-prom have some serious power problems they need to break from before they actually act as serious, non-biased, anti-bullying mods.

I actually have hope in prom. Not so much AN. His action coming in here today with the words he spoke, then suspiciously QH appearing out the blue... I think alphanumeric has a lot to answer for, since it was him, all the years defending him. You would call him, a prime suspect in a so-called evidence case.

19. Reiku Banned Banned

though if AN did contact him, no doubt it was through E-mail to avoid contact here.

20. Bells Staff Member

Reiku, wouldn't this message be better sent directly to the administrators of this site instead of starting yet another thread about your continued grievances (all of which amount to complaining about the exact same thing)?

And for the love of all that is holy. Must you spam responses within minutes of each other in such a manner? You do know there is an edit function, yes? That if you want to say more, instead of posting 7 more times in a row, it's best to just hit the edit button and put it all in one post?

I would also recommend that if you wish to be taken seriously, you do not call people names or make fun of their names. I could go on, but frankly, I don't think you actually listen..

21. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

I didn't reply immediately because unlike mister i have other things to do with my time. Yesterday i spent most of the day building furniture as i just moved into my first house. As for QH, it wasn't me who contacted him. Mister, your responses illustrate your typical behaviour. I made a perfectly reasonable reply to this thread and you respond with a barrage of insults, paranoia and fabrications. You are seeing conspiracies where none exist. The responses you get from people are not orchestrated by me or some other single individual, they are peoples natural reactions to your behaviour. I think you need to learn to take some responsibility for your actions rather than blame others.

22. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Congratulations on your new house, AN! That must be an extremely gratifying stage in acquiring full independence and starting your adult life. As for Mister, I would say he's a bigger bully than any of the folks calling him out. Besides the abuse of the complaint buttons, open gov't forums etc., he's the one trying to shove kooky ideas down the throats of advanced students and beginners alike by blatantly misrepresenting his own credentials in a transparently foolish attempt to gain credibility.

If only Mister were honest enough to openly admit his beginner-level knowledge of math & physics (reading layman books doesn't impart any substantial knowledge other than an understanding of what makes modern scientists tick), he would see that we can be very nice, accommodating folks who would be happy to help him speed his way through a proper education.

23. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Well put, Capt.

Congrats on your first house, Alpha. That has gotta feel very good, especially in these times.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.