An Inconvenient Hypocrite

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by madanthonywayne, Feb 27, 2007.

1. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

I should have said they're packaging Al Gore's with mine.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

spidergoat

There is something called flying commercial? it save energy, or doesn't AlGore want to rub shoulders with the common class's, and have to face security checks, wait in line, like the peasants? me thinks, he thinks, he is to important for that, how think you?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

Moderate?

LOL!

My dear Genji, I am so far to the left I scare myself sometimes. Hence why I feel disappointed that Gore has failed to implement what he preaches in his own home. It came as a shock because I had wrongly assumed that he had made the changes he has been encouraging everyone to make. It is highly hypocritical and frankly I now find myself questioning his reasoning behind such an important cause.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

You'd think he could plane pool with Alec Baldwin, Ralph Nader, and Babs.

8. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Call it Celebrity Shuttle, LA to NY, they all pile on there instead of their own planes, would be great for Hollywood's image.

9. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

SamCDkey: "A Gandhi today would be ignored as a crank."

That was precisely the first reaction of the Maharajas and British overlords to Gandhi in his day. I think if Gore traded in his SUVs for a bike, it would do the cause some good- he needs to lose some weight anyway.

10. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

I wonder if Al's eating just veggies.

11. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

No it looks like Lobster with drawn butter, Baked potato's al the way, and Baked Alaska for desert, and Cognac for after dinner, with a fine Cuban smoke.

12. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Then it's off for a cruise in his stretch Bentley convertible through the hills of Tennessee, at night, so he and Tipper can neck on lover's lane.

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

If Gore is a hypocrite, what of it?

Does that mean all the right-wingers now feel justified in polluting the environment or using too much energy?

It is amazing the number of people who often implicitly ending up arguing that two wrongs actually make a right.

"If Gore isn't Mother Teresa, then I, a Texas oilman from way back, don't have to worry about the environment or global warming! If Gore wastes energy, that gives ME licence to waste energy too! In fact, because he's a do-good left winger and I'm a rabid Republican, I get to waste even MORE energy that he does! Leave it to the lefties to save the planet. I have an American Right to be worse than them at all times!"

14. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

15. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

But James, the rabid Republican Oilman (Bush) is the one who's not wasting energy! His ranch is "off the grid", while Gore consumes 20 times what the average citizen does! Couldn't the great eco-warrier do even as much as the evil oilman? Couldn't the eco-warrier do even as much as the average citizen? Obviously not. Sacrifice is for others, not him.

16. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Imagine the ink for all this if Gore was off the grid, and Bush was 20x.

17. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Leno just said, "An Inconvenient Truth, that's what the Clinton's call their marriage."

18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I think you missed my point, madanthonywayne.

19. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

No, I think you missed mine. A man who asks others to sacrifice in the name of global warming should make some effort to do so himself. He certainly shouldn't do the exact opposite of what he tells everyone else to do.

I never said that this said anything about the concept of global warming or enviromentalism in general. I never said Gore's actions justified proflagate waste.

It simply means that Al Gore should be treated like Jim Baker. A fraud, a phony, a man who used a noble idea for his own self aggrandizement. Basically, a con man.

20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I agree.

Fine. Then we agree.

No, that doesn't follow.

If he is hypocritical in his behaviour, it doesn't automatically mean his message is untrue, or that the message itself should be ignored.

See?

21. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Big Jim,

Again, I said nothing of his message. The messenger is the problem.

Gore has shown he is not sincere. Whether global warming is real or imagined, Gore's not the man to make the case.

Anything he says should be taken with a grain of salt. He's a huckster, a sham. Let someone else, someone who means it, pick up this banner.

Again, I'm not saying this reveals anything about the truth of global warming. But it does reveal something about Al Gore's character.

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Who do you suggest?

23. Bells Staff Member

Sadly, in this instance, he has become the problem. Especially if he decides to run in the Presidential election. He has received a lot of support since he has made that movie and rightly so, the movie was important and the message even more so. However if he does run, he simply has to get in line with the message he is trying to spread. Otherwise the people he has been trying to reach will simply ignore his message and focus on his lack of performance in curbing his own energy usage. That is the main concern here.

I find it disappointing that he has not taken the steps so many others have taken to make their homes energy efficient. However others may just get pissed off and ignore him as well as the message he is trying to spread. It is not just the fact he has been found to be highly hypocritical in this instance. It is that many will simply refuse to lower their energy use because the messenger (Gore) has not taken those steps himself. The message will get lost in the 'shit' throwing at him.