An Anonymous Forum

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Zap, Dec 17, 2008.

?

Do you support a subforum for anonymous discussion?

1. Aye

22 vote(s)
    53.7%
  2. Nay

19 vote(s)
    46.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. draqon Banned Banned

Forums should not be constrained by rules of Life. In Life, you die...you are dead. period. The reason why people go on forums, is because it offers them an unprecedented ability to communicate with people without actually being there. By constraining ourselves to tags/names we are constraining ourselves to Life and by banning people we are introducing concept of death just like Life does to us.

Be kind, moderators.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. scott3x Banned Banned

I get it. I even postulated a solution for that problem; you can request to change your sockpuppet name after a certain amount of posts (say 100 or once per month, whichever comes last). Perhaps the process could be automatic, I can easily imagine it could become a real headache for admins.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Zap Facts > Opinions Registered Senior Member

Or the whole forum could be unmoderated, like the offencive joke thread in the cesspool. I think the Anonymous Forum would make a good sub-forum of the cesspool.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. scott3x Banned Banned

I don't like that idea. I wouldn't mind having -2- anonymous forums, though; one moderated and one not (I think i'd stick to the moderated one).

8. Zap Facts > Opinions Registered Senior Member

It could still be moderated in the sense that over-the-top things could be deleted or locked by the mods, but there would be not individual repercussions (similar to some of the ongoing threads in the cesspool).

9. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

to avoid being judged by people based on your previous actions on this forum?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

not that bad of an idea, but i'm sure that if you were rather active on this website for a longer period of time people will recognize you just by the way you type.

yeah, i know...there is no anonymity online. lolol

10. scott3x Banned Banned

In the cesspool, people can still suffer repercussions if they go too far. If people were truly anonymous, they could do whatever they liked; sure, you could delete their excesses but they could just gleefully go overboard again. It's for this reason that I don't really like the idea of a truly anonymous forum at all; I believe someone here has said that one already exists, perhaps all the people who would like this type of forum should go over there; the discussion seems to be somewhat banal, but perhaps that's simply what happens when accountability is thrown out the window...

11. scott3x Banned Banned

I don't mind the idea of having some anonymity. I simply -don't- like the idea of making it easy for annoying people to ruin a forum.

12. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

what about making the identity of the users viewable just to the forum mods?
    edit:
    besides that, i wouldn't worry too much about it ruining the whole forum since the only part of the forum that would be affected would be the anonymous forum -subsection-

13. scott3x Banned Banned

So what, it's ok to have a ruined subforum

? Besides, it'd be a doorway for banned people to make a comeback if they didn't have to register their sockpuppet with an unbanned user. Anyway, I went one better then your idea of having mods being able to automatically see the true identities of the socks. My idea when you register for a sock puppet, it's all automated; every registered user can get 1 sock puppet that they can use in that forum. However, even the moderators won't know who that is -unless- they check; and they're only to check if the person is causing trouble and needs to be reminded that they're still accountable for their actions. At that point, the moderator can find out who it is and PM the sock to reign themselves in. If they don't, the moderator can suspend their sock and even ban the user as well if they really went over the line.

14. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

creative.

15. scott3x Banned Banned

Aw, thanks

16. Zap Facts > Opinions Registered Senior Member

I see that the proposal for an Anonymous forum has won 55-45, and so I humbly petition the administrators to seriously consider this proposal.

17. John99 Banned Banned

This is an anonymous forum.

I am responding to someone calling himself Zap. What can i possibly know about Zap?

18. Zap Facts > Opinions Registered Senior Member

This is a proposal for a forum that is anonymous relative to the current Sciforums.

19. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

The polls however could contain a number of votes by people voting under sock puppets, therefore "rigging" this poll much like an "vote machine" could in an election. Obviously this just proves one of the problems of using "anonymous" polls, let alone forums.

20. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Could have made the opposing call back here, when this thread was still only on page 3.

21. scott3x Banned Banned

I don't personally see the problem with having an anonymous forum, so long as it follows the conditions I set. The real issue is whether any moderator would want to take on the task of setting up such a forum. If no moderators want to do it, I think it wouldn't matter if the vote was 100-0 in favor of making one; I doubt it'd get done

22. Zap Facts > Opinions Registered Senior Member

Today is Obama's inauguration day - so the vote count of this poll is final today.

55-45. We win!

23. draqon Banned Banned

that makes 45% USA ****s...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.