An all loving God?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by heart, Jul 25, 2003.

1. heart Registered Senior Member

Okay, I can understand how that can happen. However, there are many many obvious contradictions in the bible. I'll give you 3 simple examples.

What were the last words Jesus spoke according to Matthew, Luke, and John?

Matt: 27:46
    "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

Luke 23:46
    "And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost."

John 19:30
    "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost."

---------------------------------
    What did Jesus do after being baptized?

Mark 1:12,13
    "And immediately the spirit driveth him into the wilderness. And he was there in the wilderness forty days, tempted of Satan."

John 1:35, 43; 2:1
    "Again the next day after John stood, and two of his disciples. The day following Jesus would go forth into Galilee, and findeth Philip, and saith unto him, Follow me. And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee."

So either he was tempted in the wilderness for 40 days by Satan or he and his disciples attended a wedding :bugeye:

---------------------------------
    Is all scripture inspired by God?

2 Timothy 3:16
    "All scripture is given by inspiration of God...."

1 Cor.7:12.:
    "But to the rest speak I, not the Lord."
    1 Cor.7:25
    "Now concerning virgins I have no commandment of the Lord: yet I give my judgment...."

My point is there are contradictions- whether the Bible was inspired totally by God or not- it was handwritten by men- and according to 1 Cor 7:25 -they did give their opinion. With that in mind ..The Bible was written in greek and hebrew, a language that is not ours...it couldn't have been translated 100% correctly...on top of that...those that did translate it for our reading had the ability to interject their own beliefs.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2003
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. heart Registered Senior Member

okinrus,

If you believe the bible contains contradictions, then I'm to assume you don't believe the Bible is completely accurate? What is it that makes you believe some scriptures and not others?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. okinrus Registered Senior Member

Well all of the twelve apostles except for John were not present at Jesus' death, so some variance in the words Jesus said may be expected. Really the main witnesses to his death would be Mary magdaline, the Virgin Mary, John, and there the one who pierced Jesus to see if he was dead supposively became a christian.

I don't think that Jesus remained silent up on the cross. He probably said much more to the crowd than was recorded in the bible. However some possible ordering of speech could be that Jesus said "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" and then "And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost." and then with is last breath, "it is finished."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. okinrus Registered Senior Member

If you read any historical book there will be errors and inaccuracies. Parts of the bible such as Kings, Chronicles etc. are clearly writings that chronicle the history of the Jewish nation. The work of many kings and prophets, however some of the numbers are clearly estimates. The writings in the bible were not so much to give a physical narrative of events but to be didactic. So for example, the passage in John may have juxtaposed the days to give a more personal narrative, with the theme of the three signs entwined through out the book.

8. heart Registered Senior Member

okinrus,

Maybe ..maybe not. So you think they chose what they thought was important and wrote that down (leaving out what could have been important to someone else-oh but what if they misunderstood what was said)- then of course adding their own opinion to it and...

9. jcarl Starving...Why Wait? Registered Senior Member

One part about Acts you must understand is that a bunch of stuff that happens in it happens only that once and is not meant to be taken as if it happens all the time. For instance, I have not been given the gift of tongues it talks about, but I am still a CHRISTIAN (medicine woman knows why I capitalize that).
    As for Peter not getting the same treatment. First off Peter hadn't fufilled God's purposes just yet. God knew ahead of time that Peter had great and mighty things ahead of him. Now this doesn't mean that Ananias and Sapphira are in Hell; it was just a symbol by God.
    Also, if God didn't send people to Hell, then there would be no incentive to do what is right on Earth. Those who did do good would do it in vain. Thats not just.

10. okinrus Registered Senior Member

They got the main point of what Jesus did and the Spirit would reveal what was truely important and what wasn't. Did they write everything that Jesus ever told them? No of course not. John 21:25 "There are also many other things that Jesus did, but if these were to be described individually, I do not think the whole world would contain the books that would be written." Since John was a disciple of Jesus and chosen by him, he would of course know what was important. We also have extra bibical writings from Ignatius and Polycarp, both disciples of John, that give clues as to what is emphasized.

11. jcarl Starving...Why Wait? Registered Senior Member

Noah had his wives and his sons had wives so they could repopulate the Earth. As for Job, there's a parable Jesus told. "The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against the house. But because its foundation was on the rock, the house did not fall." God puts people to test, even though he knows how they will fare. If they are steadfast and reamain loyal to God, then great will be their reward in heaven. Job didn't curse God, and not only did he get a mighty reward in heaven (for you nitpickers, I can't prove this, but I am sure of it)but he also got earthly treasures, for which gave glory to God

As I said before, God wouldn't be a fair and just God if he didn't ultimately reward the faithful(if we repent of our sins, then He is faithful and just and will forgive us of our sins) and ultimately punish the wicked. That is the right thing to do is it not?

You said that you wanted some Christian thought on this. I don't know everything, but I will give you the answers as best I can.

Also, this is a rather lengthy thread, so I'll try to deal with as many different questions as I can. Thus, expect many posts instead of one rather than a lengthy one.

12. heart Registered Senior Member

You mean God killed them to make example?

Meaning God threatens hell so people will follow him? Leads me to wonder if their intentions are sincere. For example, if a bully at school threatened to beat up a classmate if he didn't do what he wanted- the scared classmate would only comply because he didn't want to be hurt..not because he truly wanted to act on bullies wishes.

13. jcarl Starving...Why Wait? Registered Senior Member

Ha ha youre hilarious. Eternal damnation is a symbol of what the punishment for rejecting God is. If you turn away from God and deny his power--as many on this site have done or do--you will forever be in torment. That might be harsh, but, if you think about it, the reward for accepting Jesus Christ is eternal life with God in pleasure; shouldn't the punishment be the exact opposite, eternal life without God in pain? Isn't that fair?
    And how exactly does the concpt of damnation completely destroy the credibility of a faith

14. heart Registered Senior Member

Wait where does it say that physical narrative events can contain error, yet the meat of the teaching will not?

15. okinrus Registered Senior Member

No, Jesus nor the Father does not know how they will fare all the time. God will allow a house made of straw to be blown down in order to be built by stone. Or in some cases, someone who is prideful will be made to fail in order to humble himself.

Deuteronomy 13:3 "If there arises among you a prophet or a dreamer who promises you a sign or wonder, urging you to follow other gods, whom you have not known, and to serve them: even through the sign or wonder he has foretold you comes to pass, pay no attention to the words of that prophet or that dreamer; for the LORD, your God, is testing you to learn whether you really love him with all your heart and with all your soul." So how can a God who knows the result "learn"?

16. jcarl Starving...Why Wait? Registered Senior Member

You mean God killed them to make example?

Um... yeah. Keep in mind I don't believe that they were sent to Hell.

Meaning God threatens hell so people will follow him? Leads me to wonder if their intentions are sincere. For example, if a bully at school threatened to beat up a classmate if he didn't do what he wanted- the scared classmate would only comply because he didn't want to be hurt..not because he truly wanted to act on bullies wishes.
    [/QUOTE]

It's a double-eged sword actually. I do what is right on Earth because I want the splendor of heaven, but I also do it because I don't want to go to Hell. Selfish? To some it might be, but you can read some ulterior motive into any good work.

17. jcarl Starving...Why Wait? Registered Senior Member

It doesn't say the narrative events contain error because they are flawless. If you believe that there is an error please show me.

18. okinrus Registered Senior Member

The book of Chronicles quotes from a Jewish book that has since been lost. Scribes and others have made small numerical mistakes. As to personal narriatives, one of the books of Maccabee's has note from the author that he has tried to accurately portray the events to the best of his abilities.

19. jcarl Starving...Why Wait? Registered Senior Member

20. heart Registered Senior Member

If you will scroll all the way up to the top I list some contradictions

21. okinrus Registered Senior Member

This is not such a big deal for me. I don't interpret all-knowing to mean knowing the future, but just knowing every action and choice that we do. I believe this was the original intent of the hebrew authors, but somehow knowing the future got mixed together by the Greeks. The book of Sirach uses the term all-seeing etc. while at the same time God has clearly given us freewill. God also might know the result of every choice, but he does know if we will choose to do evil or not. And God still has divine providence, is all-powerful and is outside of time.

22. jcarl Starving...Why Wait? Registered Senior Member

23. jcarl Starving...Why Wait? Registered Senior Member

I believe that he knows literally everything--past, present, and future--and has even chosen who is to be saved. Allow me to explain. It has already been determined that certain people are to be saved. What means is that they will be the ones who will hear the word and accept it as truth. This is known as the divine election. To put it in a nonreligious term, it is fate.
    He has given us freewill but knows how we'll use it. Plus if he knows the result of our choices, then wouldn't that by the same token he know whether we choose good or evil?
    But this is a trivial matter that determines not salvation.