Amount of chlorine in tap water?

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Archduke, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Archduke Registered Member

Chlorine in tap or swimming pool water, I should rather say.

Is this determinable by titrations? E.g. silver nitrate titrations?

If not, then how is it determinable?

Also, would shampoo or soap have any effects on the aforementioned chlorine? Such as cause it to form a compound or something or other.

Thank you.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

All I can say on the matter is that my tap water has so much chlorine it can be tasted.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

They are also putting ammonia in dinking water.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Determine what type of chlorine you should use. There seem to be many types of chlorine on the market, and each pool supply company works hard to make their chlorine product seem new and different. Chlorine is available in 3" tablets, 1" tablets, sticks and in a granular form. Upon inspecting the labels and comparing of all of the different brands of chlorine, you will see that the active ingredient is exactly the same in all of them; however, cheap & "big box" slow tabs & sticks tends to have binders & fillers that keep the tablet together (you will notice the difference as they dissolve - "cheap" tabs & sticks tend to crumble or fall apart within 2 - 3 days as opposed to gradually dissolving & maintaining their shape).

The active ingredient in 3" tablets, 1" tablets and sticks is called "Trichlor" (or Trichloro-S-Triazinetrione), and the active ingredient in granular chlorine is called "Dichlor" (or Sodium Dichloro-S-Triazinetrione). You will find a very wide range of prices for chlorine, and the only real difference you may find between the many brands of chlorine is the concentration of the active ingredients. You should look for a concentration of 56% to 62% Sodium Dichloro-S-Triazinetrione in granular chlorine, and a concentration of 90% Trichloro-S-Triazinetrione in chlorine tablets or sticks. Granular Chlorine can also be in the form of Calcium Hypochlorite. It is typically only available up to 65%. For more information on different types of chlorine, see the tips below.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...362MAQ&usg=AFQjCNFUTFDJ-OWC15tjUdhKHI7umvLT5g

8. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Amount of chlorine if your drinking water: 4.

RUN TO THE HILLS!

9. Archduke Registered Member

It displeases me to have found that none of you seem to have read the text of the body of my first post, and rather only the title of this thread.

Therefore, my question remains unanswered and you have been unhelpful. It is thus imperative that I bestow upon you not my gratitude.

10. phlogistician Banned Banned

Go do your own homework, and lose the attitude, noob.

11. Peter Kinnon Registered Member

Archduke

A few points that might help:

1. Silver nitrate titrations are for determination of chloride not chlorine.

2. The traditional method for chlorine is colorimetric using N,N-diethyl-p-phenylenediamine (DPD). You would need a comparator or Nessleriser with the appropriate colour standard discs. A Nessleriser with 50 or 100ml tubes gives better resolution so is better for the lower concentrations present in tap water. If in the US you could possibly pick up a used one at low cost from LabX or ebay. DPD tablets (or complete kits) can be bought from lab supply houses.

Can you extend the method for use with detergent solutions and such? Quite possibly not.
    Firstly, chlorine is a strong oxidising agent and reacts with many organic materials (that is why it is in the water to start with!) .
    Secondly, additives might possibly mask or otherwise interfere with the color produced by the DPD.

You will find a good technical account on chlorine determination methods by Googling "chlorine analysis water harp". You could also check out the Nessler website.

However, I have concerns about why you would want to do this anyway as ppm chlorine levels should be of no real concern anyway, especially in such things as shampoos.
    If you doubt this then perhaps you would like to check out my anti-chemophobia rant (Toxic risks) in chapter 18 of my book "Unusual Perspectives" which is available as a free download from the site that name.

Incidentally, Steve 100, chlorine itself has very little taste/odour. What you taste in tap water or stinks in the public swimming pool are the chloramines produced by its interaction with organic contaminants. Kids piddling in the pool, for instance. Shows its doing its job of disinfectation.

12. Bolshevik Registered Member

Why is there shampoo in the swimming pool?

You'd probably be best off sending some samples to a local lab.

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Residue in people's hair.

14. Odin'Izm Procrastinator Registered Senior Member

You can determine the Chlorinity of water from its salinity which has an empirical relationship with its electrical conductivity.

By measuring its conductivity you can estimate the ionic content of any particular ion.

15. arauca Banned Banned

Are you selling pools ? or your question is a bout chlorine interacting with shampoo.?

16. kwhilborn Banned Banned

There are test kits and test strips that can detect both free Chlorine and Total Chlorine.

Chlorine saves thousands of lives every year by stopping the transmission of deadly pathogens such as Hepatitis A, Cholera, Typhoid Fever, etc.

Simply letting water sit will evaporate chloromite and chlorine into the air in a short amount of time. A jug in the fridge will lose the chlorine in less than 20 minutes.

While experimenting be sure to consider that the chlorine will vanish from the water very quickly.

If you are testing soaps or detergents in your pool DO NOT mix ammonia with it. Chlorine is a bleach and the Chloromine created can knock people unconscious and seriously hurt your respiratory system and/or kill you and anyone else breathing it. You can pass out with little warning. My neighbor had succumbed to this mixture but was discovered before she died.

As far as testing goes. There are kits. In pools you should be able to smell the chlorine as it evaporates so fast.

With a pool you should also cover it and add Cyanuric acid (Stabilizer) to help prevent sunlight and air from destabilizing the Chlorine. This combination will save at least half of your chlorine, so leave it uncovered at your own expense.

Most companies that sell the Charcoal chlorine water filters (waste of money), will likely have testing kits for your water or any science depot.