America's Cup

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by arfa brane, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Luchito Registered Senior Member

I'm not familiar at all with this sport, but the difference between single hulled boats and multiple hulled boats might be a call to divide the categories in the competences. If I compare the difference between those boats with land vehicles, then the single hulled boat is a motorcycle and the multiple hulled boat is a car.

Write4U likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

all the chemicals that get tipped into the ocean to clean and maintain the boat is considerable.
    the amount of fossil fuels used to build the new technology is considerable.

but i guess in technology terms, we are still in the age of the big dirty rockets

we need to get through the learning of the big dirty rockets to get to the other side.
    even though many economic systems have built themselves around big dirty rocket production so will resist change as much as possible.

how fast would one of those boats go around the world ?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I think I read that these racers can attain 45mph (40knots), but I wonderd how well they can take rough seas when the waves are taller than the lift. Once they lose planing it is difficult to get back up to planing speed. In one of the races a competitor was ahead by 250 ft but got caught in a wave and lost speed. The opponent overtook the stalled boat in 10 seconds.

Mono hulls are much slower but they just plow through heavy waves and keep going. The whole concept of using wind power for propulsion is so agreeable to my senses. To feel the power surge when the boat and sails are "tuned" to the wind is just awesome. The boat can actually attain speeds much faster than the wind. The new boats using "lift" can go 45 mph in a 20 knot (23mph) wind.
    The laws of conservation do not hold for sailing.

Can boats sail faster than the wind propelling them?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

https://www.sciencefocus.com/planet-earth/can-boats-sail-faster-than-the-wind-propelling-them/#

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.