American Total Solar Eclipse 21 August 2017

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by James R, Jan 10, 2017.

1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Time we had a thread about this to get ready for the big event.

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/

Does anybody here live on the totality track for this eclipse?

Has anybody witnessed a total solar eclipse before?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

I live in Portland, which is just a bit North of totality, but we lucked out and were able to get reservation at hotel in Lincoln Beach. When we originally tried to make reservations, everything was already booked, However we found a Best Western that didn't take reservations more than 50 wks ahead, so we marked out 50 weeks to the day before we wanted on the calendar, and got online first thing.

I lived just a few miles from the line of maximum totality for the eclipse of 1979. However it was in February and again in Oregon. I caught a couple of glimpses of partiality by chasing a gap in the clouds by car, but by totality they had all closed up.
    Here's the one picture I was able to snap prior to totality. Mind you, it was taken leaning out of the passenger window of a car driving down US 30. I had my own darkroom set up at the time (in my parents laundry room) so I was able to enlarge and print it myself. The enlargement factor is why it looks grainy.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

2012: Cairns
    Incredible stuff!!

I would dearly love to be present when an Annular solar eclipse takes place....I seem to imagine that as more spectacular with the proper equipment.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I saw one as a kid in Maryland. I have no idea why people make such a big deal of it, it just got darker and then lighter. So what.

8. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

I rented a house near Charleston for the week.

There have been two other total eclipses in my area; for one it was cloudy and for the other I was just a few miles from where it was total and should have gone.

9. el es Registered Senior Member