American Racism

Discussion in 'History' started by Roman, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Thanks again, oh great arbiter of knowledge and wisdom.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iam Banned Banned

Prejudice and racism is not limited to upper, middle, or lower class. It is just conveyed differently. An upper class racist may not blatantly show the prejudice as a lower class might but can secretly condone it just the same just as he/she won't want to be cleaning toilets. Also, the lower class usually adopt the hidden attitudes of the upper class and flaunt it for them often so only they get the blame! People wear many DISGUISES and some try to get others to do the dirty work for them as well!!

You are right about one thing though. Their really are only two types of people, good and bad, decent and undecent, nice and mean, honest and dishonest. This has nothing to do with your bank account but individual character.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Roman Banned Banned

Really!!!

You missed the point!!!!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dan the Man84 BAD BOY FOR LIFE Registered Senior Member

I think you are a bit naive to the damage that slavery has done to generations of blacks in this country. Of course every race has been enslaved, race is not the issue. We are just talking about American racism, aren't we? If we were discussing worldwide racism and slavery, I would not bring up what I said. With that being said, slavery in America lasted quite long and was much more traumatic than (most) of the slavery that existed around the 16-1800s. Even the Spaniards and British were complaining about how harsh American slavery was, and these are not countries that are foreign to harsh treatment of people, lol. So it still stands....for 240 something years, blacks had to endure traumatic events such as the horrible break up of families, families that rarely ever saw each other again. It is not a coincidence families seem to be of more importance to blacks overseas than in many parts of America, specifically the South. Howvere, we should NEVER forget slavery existed in the Northern part of AMerica for a long time as well. Blacks are not slaves now nor have they been for at least 140 years, but many blacks I know tell me they have had great grandparents who were slaves and how traumatized they were as a result. This turned them into bad parents who in turn raised bad kids....DO WE GET THE PICTURE? Too many blacks were treated like trash for so many years and having jim crow laws galore that refused to let blacks build their OWN property did not help. hence, the unfortunate situation of many blacks (at least 20%) today.

I'm also shocked you feel the Native Americans have such a high alcoholism rate because of a gene, LMAO! Are you serious? It is because of the centuries of harsh treatment they faced at the hands of their European colonizers (who were, to be fair, helped by some Native tribes, who were later coloznied harshly themselves...that's what you get for helping a colonizer I suppose).

These colonizers then forced tribes away from THEIR OWN LANDS into desolate, harsh landscapes the white settlers did not like (what other reason were they put there?). I will not even go into the biased laws and harsh treatment Native Americans suffered for a very long time as well.

You need some history lessons my friend....BADLY.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2007
  8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Dan, when you quote somebody, you need to use quote tags like this:

[ quote=name ]Put quoted text here[ /quote ]

This produces:

Note: don't include spaces between the square brackets.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

So ...if all that's true, and American blacks and Native Americans are just good ol', regular people ....why is the crime rate for blacks so much higher then the crime rate for [racial slur deleted]?

Baron Max

10. Roman Banned Banned

American slavery was unique in that it was race based slavery. Throughout history, slavehood was more a product of socioeconomic status and conquest.

11. Roman Banned Banned

Indians are in rural areas, blacks are in urban areas. Both have higher crime rates than white folk.

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I think it was a matter of the times. By the time of American slavery, it was almost unheard of for one person to hold another in slavery. Indentured servants, yes; slavery, no.

But the black Africans presented a new opportunity ...the whites did not really consideer the blacks as "humans", thus their natural aversion to holding "one of their own" in slavery was averted, easier. ...not to mention cheaper!

And lest any of y'all forget, most, if not all, of the slave traders in Africa were other black tribespeople! Those stronger, more powerful, more greedy blacks sold the weaker blacks to the white slave traders. So don't be putting all of the blame on the whites for the American slave markets. If the blacks hadn't served up the other blacks for a cheap price, American slavery would never have gotten to anywhere near what it became.

Baron Max

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

"In Alabama, negroes are always in season"- Vernon Johns

14. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

"American" slavery (it would be better to refer to "Transatlantic slavery") was no exception to this. It just happened to be the case that the slaves came from a geographically (and ethnically) distinct location. Note that slaves were owned by free black men and Indians, in addition to those of European descent. Also note the practice of "indentured servitude," which was a form of psuedo-slavery applied mainly to the Irish.

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, that don't mean nothin', Sam .....in Africa negroes are always in season, too, ain't they?

Baron Max

16. Roman Banned Banned

Wrong.
    The African slave trade began in the 1500s as the colonial empires were established. The first slaves were used to work plantations in the East and West Indies, and both Americas.

Blah blah black blah black blah blah.

If you ever read anything about the slaves held by North and Central American Indians, Greeks, Romans, Africans, Middle Easterners, or by the people who participated in those slave societies, you'll see that none of them were based soley on the issue of race. Debtors, captured peoples, voluntary servitude, all were causes of slavery.

In America, it was soley being of negroid features that made it legal for one to be a slave.

In Rome, one had rights, so long as you had the proper papers, and weren't against someone with more money than you. You could be Etruscan, Roman, Jew, Gaul, Egyptian; whatever, and have the same rights as a Roman. You also could become a slave, but not simply because you were an Egyptian.

17. Roman Banned Banned

Indentured servants could work off their debt. Their children weren't born into servitude.

In the colonies, indentured servitude led to slavery for blacks, but not whites. Slavery was ENTIRELY based off of race, in America.

18. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

And by that time, in Europe, slavery was almost totally unused, if not actually abolished by law.

You obviously missed my remark about the era, right? Because the rest of your post talks about slavery in ancient times!

Which is what I said! Americans, as well as Europeans, didn't consider blacks as humans. I.e., they weren't the same race as humans!

Next time, try to read the post a little more fully before responding.

Baron Max

19. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Yeh Baron, the Euros (and Americans) adhered to Plato's Chain of Being, where all non Euros were considered to be subhuman.

20. Roman Banned Banned

The era? You mean roughly 1500 to 1850?
    Slavery was rare in Europe– there were enough people to work the land. It was the cane and fruit colonies that had the major need for slaves.

The rest of my post goes over slavery throughout history, in all sorts of places. Never was it an issue of race, up until the 1500's, and then mostly in America. The Americans made slavery a racial thing. The Europeans simply enslaved the people they conquered.

Yet the Europeans never developed a racial divide to the extent and duration as Americans had and do.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Why did race become so established in America?

What was different in American racism from say, the apartheid in South Africa, where there was discrimination against people indigenous to the region?

22. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

If by "the Americans" you're referring to the European colonial officials who ran the plantations and transatlantic slave trade, then okay... By the time that America was in independent country, the racial nature of slavery was pretty well entrenched (not just in the US but also the rest of the hemisphere). Also, I'd love to see you try this distinction on an actual black American: he's not going to care whether Europeans kidnapped his ancestors out of racism or just plain old greed. Either way, they treated his people as if they were animals, and to pretend that doesn't amount to racism is just adding insult to injury.

riiiight... except for the entire colonial era, the Holocaust, and last year's race riots in France...

This distinction between racisms is pretty ridiculous. Of course, the different circumstances in Europe and America led to racism being developed and expressed in different ways, but you'd have to be pretty obtuse not to see the direct connection between racism on either side of the Atlantic, particularly when it comes to the slave trade. But, hey, if you're committed to defending Europeans as some kind of superior, enlightened people, it follows that you'll have to do something to paper over their long history as world leaders in the area of brutal racism.

23. Dan the Man84 BAD BOY FOR LIFE Registered Senior Member

Lol, MAYBE BECAUSE INDIANS (or [racial slur deleted]as you like to call them) HAVE ALMOST BEEN WIPED OUT FROM THEIR HOMELAND. Their crime rate by % is still higher than whites regardless and they have very high cases of alcoholism and the highest rates of poverty in America. Most Indians live in rural areas anyway, and city dwellers tend to have higher crime rates. History is a good explanation of why things are the way they are, and we should all know the unfortunate history of groups who were stepped on in order to make America the leader of the world today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.