America has 90 guns per 100 people

Discussion in 'World Events' started by countezero, Aug 28, 2007.

1. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

isn't the london times own by murdoch?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I'd say let's go for 100 guns for 100 Americans! This way there will be no crime!

Oh wait. 2 million Americans are in prison. 7 million in prison or on parole. They cannot have guns of course.

Let's have 97.7 guns for 100 americans instead of 90! Then there will be no crime!

Oh wait..

20 million illegal aliens in the USA! They are not Americans! They cannot have guns!

So 97.7 - 6.6 = 91.1 guns are need in the USA to eliminate crime!

Ok. 1 in 100 of american patriots hasn't done his duty to eliminate crime.

--------

'An armed society is a polite society'

Great!

Would be more appropriate though if 'an armed society was a crime free society'.

I did sure notice that Americans would always smile and be polite. And with the same polite smile they told me not to go into certain neighbourhoods. I never realized that they were just afraid I had a gun on me.

I also never realized that the UK was full of guns. I can imagine nobody daring to jump the queue in fear of being gunned down by the rest of the people in the queue.

----

1. penetration of guns has not gotten the USA crime free. In fact the USA has one of the largest prison populations in the world.

2. A polite society is not the same as a crime free society. Or a murder free society.

'Dear chap, please stand still for a moment. I am trying to spray you with hollow point bullets.' -
    'But of course dear friend, shall I already lie down for you here. So considerate of you to use hollow points. I must say it will save on the hospital bill for my family.' -
    'Not to worry dear chap, I will kill them later, but I will try not to hurt them'.
    'Oh, thank you very much. You are such a gentleman.' -
    'you too Sir!'
    'cheerio!'

3. It is apparently illegal to overthrow the government as the previous post indicated. This is reflected in the 2nd amendment, where it does not say that you have the right to bear arms to overthrow the government. You have a right to bear arms to protect the free state, i.e. your own government.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

does it scare anyone else that the country that has the second highest ratio is 4 guns per 100 people

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

????????????????????????

8. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

The people in the United States that do have a gun in their possession, that would also murder someone in cold blood, are also the people that will acquire a gun regardless if it's legal or on the black market.

I bought my 12 guage, legally, from a legal establishment. I take it to the range every few months to shoot it. Otherwise it stays in my closet (I have no children) and it is used for home defense (should anyone ever break in), so the only time that shotgun would ever be responsible for killing a person would be in self defense of a would be burglar/attacker in my house. Which, in case you non-U.S. residents didn't know; you are well within your legal rights to shoot and kill a person that breaks into your home if you're there.

So, all you control advocates, why the hell should I, or anyone else like me not be allowed to own a gun?

9. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

For your information, I own about 170 fire arms, all functional and legal, many of them are collector items, from as far past as the American Civil War to as recently as a Colt Detective Special from 1967, new in the box with the original paper work and box and bill of sale, the box and paper work is worth $150.oo U.S., so I make up for a lot of people who don't own fire arms in America. My next planned acquisition is a Napoleon 12lb. Howitzer from the Civil War, fully functional, now what do you think of that?

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Where do the black market guns come from then? They miraculousy appear?

11. Roman Banned Banned

Has anyone mentioned the possibility that America also produces a ton of guns, and that many, many, many of those are produced and later exported, by private companies? That articles doesn't tell us what a gun is. Are civil war era revolvers counted? Do automatic rifles in private corp. armories intended for sale to gov'ts count?

Private gun ownership has had a long history in the US. Guns last a long time. Americans like old things. Old guns tend to hang around. India became a nation, when, 1950ish? And it wasn't until maybe the past 20 or 30 so years when India started having any significant proportion of people who could afford firearms. Meanwhile, Americans have been producing and collecting firearms for over 200 years. Not really that difficult to grasp why gun density is so much higher in the US.

I bet there are more samurai swords per capita in Japan than the US.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  12. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

From stolen fire arms, original shipments and fire arms that are third and fourth hand deals, the original sale may have been legal, and sanctioned by the governments, but through the arms market selling between each other they are moved into the Black Market, and through revolutions, and change of leadership in other countries the arms go into the underground markets, and the Russians are famous for the amounts of arms they supplied to any one with the money and who would make trouble for the West, they dumped million of every type weapon that they produced into the middle east, Africa, South East Asia, Asia, South America, and lets not forget about the Chinese, one of their main cash cows is arms sales to anyone and everyone who can pay for them, like the Russians no questions ask.

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Wow...american criminals use mainly foreign guns

14. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

Private guns, machine guns, artillery, tanks, battleships are cool, since governments do not stand for people but only for 1% of people. I have nothing against it. However, there is a problem with how people use them. Unfortunately, most of the uses are not to destroy goverment tyranny (Clinton used to burn those who tried alive), not to protect oneself against criminals, but to kill/maime/scare somebody without a gun in the immediate fastreached proximity

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Go figure.

15. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

I think Guns became something like Prosac - mindaltering drug. They give an illusion of control, power, being in charge for a modern highly constricted wage slave, i.e. guns give owners an illusion of something that they really, really lack in the real life.

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

'Power comes from the barrel of a gun'

Mao