America has 90 guns per 100 people

Discussion in 'World Events' started by countezero, Aug 28, 2007.

1. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Are you arguing the Iraqis would be better off now without them?

Their new ruler would be Ahmed Chalabi, if you recall, and they probably would be preparing for their first show election about now (with Chalabi in charge of the polling, campaign regulations, etc) if the US has concluded they are ready for democracy. They would also be in line for a slightly bigger cut of the oil revenue, if the EU has put its foot down.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Didn't stop Saddam or the Americans. Who cares about Chalabi?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

What about democracy?

You must have noticed that the apparently 'not' outdated constitution proscribes a system that leads to something that only resembles democracy if you examine it when you are really drunk or stoned.

You wouldn't need guns if you had a true democracy.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

I'ts always possible to lose.

Fight isn't over, though. Which it would be, if Iraq were unarmed.

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Just look at what happens when you modernize your constitution once in a while.

It becomes coherent and modern. Without the need for guns.

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokset/1999/en19990731.pdf

Note the ideological difference: the people are the country. Hence.

Section 127 - National defence obligation
    Every Finnish citizen is obligated to participate or assist in national defence, as provided by an Act.
    Provisions on the right to exemption, on grounds of conscience, from participation in military national defence are
    laid down by an Act.

9. superstring01 Moderator

Stating you opinions as if they were facts, Spurious? Hardly seems fair after you acted so malevolently toward others for stating their opinions.

The American Constitution is a totally relevant document that has [what?] ONE serious flaw right now: it allows people to own guns. That's hardly a reason to scrap it (not to mention, there are probably about 150 million American's who think that the second amendment is just fine the way it is). Not to mention its historic value to the vast majority of the population. Aesthetics count for something to most people, and when those aesthetics cannot be easily proven to the nation to cause any damage, you don't stand much of a chance of getting people to just throw out the baby with the bath water.

Can you find other serious issues that justify this claim? It's not like the wording is clotted with unintelligible phrases and anachronisms that no longer apply.

~String

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

No, i am not. It's quite clear it is my opinion. Are you so stupid I have to mark opinion and fact for you? I will gladly oblige you in the future.

edit-

just fucking with you. I was posting facts. finnish constitution was rewritten in the 1990s. US one is from 1780s with amendments.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  11. superstring01 Moderator

Please... I'm just that stupid... so very, very stupid. Horribly stupid. Please do so, I do greatly enjoy watching you react as such. Again. Please.

~String

12. leopold Valued Senior Member

oh really?
    the definition of a democracy is "majority rules"
    along with that comes "if you are a minority you're screwed"
    yes indeed spurious, you wouldn't need a gun would you.

13. leopold Valued Senior Member

what do you expect from a commie?

14. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Don't feel too bad it, we need stupid people in the world too. Otherwise there wouldn't be smart ones.

15. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Man, this thread is still goin? We got quite a few of these kinda threads already. I'd love to make a post here, but I'd just be repeating myself.

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=56596&page=44
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=65552&page=21
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=65591&page=6
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=49960&page=12

Just some of the many threads with all the stats, info, you name it.

Bottom line: most gun crimes occur in high crime areas that tend to be liberal-controlled cities with already strict or outright gun bans. Look to the most violent cities in the U.S. and most already have those laws. All the poor little children that die are basically gangbangers killing each other off lumped into the same catagory as those children, boohoo. Let em kill each other off as it's one less whacko who illegally obtained their firearm who causes nothing but trouble for society.

Gun control laws do not work as evidence of the above. Perhaps if all the killings happened in those non-liberal controlled, crime-infested, strict gun control law cities where most of the crime in this country occurs, you'd all have an argument, but ya don't. If you omit those liberal-run, gun-controlled hellholes of a place to live, our gun-related deaths and crime overall, would be pretty darn low. And it doesn't take a gun to kill someone or have crime-infested areas, which is why places such as the UK have an ungodly crime rate despite gun bans or ungodly strict laws, and even in some instances listed in those previous threads, even Australia and Canada surpass the U.S. in certain violent crimes per capita despite their gun control laws. Most deaths don't occur with guns, but knives. Just go search my posts for the info as I'm not gonna bother repeating it yet again.

- N

16. leopold Valued Senior Member

you can't tell these left wing whacknuts anything.

17. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

All they do is try and use guilt to get their way. It's how most of their laws get passed yet wind up screwing this country more than it does help, with some exceptions. Their ideas look good on paper, but when put to the test, they usually fail. Their laws tend to cater to criminals, such as always being released from jail or not even being prosecuted because they're oh-so-helpless people that somehow don't know any better, yet wind up going back to their life of crime. Most crimes happen by the same people; repeat offenders.

I'd love to hear an explanation as to why their cities are such crime-infested places, even with their strict gun control laws. Gun control only works against law-abiding citizens; that's all. The people these laws try to target don't do a damned thing because, uh, they're criminals, that uh, break and don't follow the law.

- N

18. superstring01 Moderator

Please let me know when you find one.

But that would take smarts, wouldn't it?

Nevermind.

~String

19. superstring01 Moderator

No, Nieldo... don't you get it. Gun toting criminals WON'T carry guns if it's made SUPER-DUPER illegal to do so!

~String

20. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Exactly how illegal is that? The Death penalty? We already have that option for Premeditated Murder, and they still kill, Life in Prison? we already have that and it doesn't stop criminals from Murder, Rape, Robbery, and assorted mayhem, exactly how do you make it super-duper illegal to us a gun or weapon in the commission of a crime?

21. superstring01 Moderator

There isn't a "sarcastic" type font I can write in, so perhaps it didn't come across correctly.

Alas, I wasn't being serious. It's ALREADY illegal for criminals to use guns... the only thing that more serious laws do is take guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens.

~String

22. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Kind a Slow this morning, had a go around with Jimmy Beam last night and he won.

23. superstring01 Moderator

Never fight with Jim, you'll never win. Hell, I got into a fight with Jack a few months back. I lost... oh, how I lost.

~String