AMD vs MAC vs Intel

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Closet Philosopher, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Fans make noise. I would prefer a cooler chip. I'm typing this on a computer that has an AMD thunderbird in it. back then it needed an extra fan to keep it cool even. But in general I don't like loud fans and the cooler the chip the more silent the fan can be.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The Singularity The last thing you'll ever see Registered Senior Member

More efficient ... probably. More stable ... not necessarily. Just because something runs cooler doesn't always result in stability.

Heat is the enemy of electronics boards ... hence why the fan of a computer running a AMD chipset is virtually running all the time. Mine runs almost non-stop from 5 minutes after I turn the computer on till the the computer is shut off. But I haven't even experienced one hiccup from the machine since i bought it a year ago ... except for the hiccups that were my doing.

I'm not sure about the durability of either chip sets ... maybe the Intel chip is more durable in the long run just because it runs cooler. It does make sense.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rick Valued Senior Member

Get on with Intel.Most Standards are because of Intel,Most Innovations are from Intel,Although AMD,Cyrix are also in the Market but Intel drives it.Pentium is almost a Brand Amassador today.If its a Pentium it"ll be fast...like that.

if you are looking for cheap alt,then AMD might be sufficient.If you are joining Stanford,you dont need to buy one.You"ll probably get all the required Facilities.Caltech i dont know,UCLA yes,MIT i dont know...Which university? Purdue,Rice,GATECH? which?

bye!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

Does anyone think that there is an advantage (as far as reliability, and/or stability) to get an Intel brand Motherboard working with an Intel CPU?

8. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I'm probably going to the University of Toronto. I'm hoping to get in the term after Christmas. I have to start saving my money now for my laptop and/or desktop. I want to have an idea what I should be saving for and how much I should save. My figure for technology for school is about $3500-4500 Canadian Dollars.

I might go to University in the United States next year is I can get a scholarship for playing hockey. I'm working on getting one this year.

ANyway, I'm thinking about getting one of the two potential computers right now, so I have to know that is the best quality.

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

The AMD Athlon 64 FX are the best for gaming, there not cheap though.

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Intel motherboards are pricy. From my experience though I greatly advice to buy a motherboard with Intel chipset.
    They are cheaper than 100% Intel boards, but fit very good with Intel processors

11. GuessWho A Californian Registered Senior Member

I recommend to go to emachines.com then select one of their AMD64 laptops. After selecting your laptop, go to bestbuy.com or circuitcity.com to buy them. These online stores have about $250 rebate.

This to me is the best for your money. Good luck!

12. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I heard that eMachines were really well priced, but are pieces of crap altogether. I guess you get what you pay for.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

My new AMD FX 53 processor runs rather cool with only the fan it comes with and the two 120 mm fans in the Antec tower. The size of the new 939 pin processor is only about a silver dollar!

14. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

Emachines was currently acquired by Gateway. I've heard really bad things about Gateway computers. The company really wants to focus on home entertainment business rather than computers.

15. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I've heard that both Gateway and eMachines are CRAP. They said that the specs look awesome, but the computers are poorly built and they tend to have cheap cooling systems, o the CPUs overheat.

16. The Singularity The last thing you'll ever see Registered Senior Member

eMachines is a company mostly geared toward people who wants the most out of a PC while not having to shed out a load of money. They generally build value PC's ... their performance is OK for the average person but not for people who will be using the computer almost every hour of the day.

Just to say for the heck of it ... Intel may make good chipsets and processors but avoid the Celeron base processor. They may have Celeron processors listed at the same clock speed as their P4 counterparts and the Celeron chipset is generally half the price as that to the P4 but I find (from experience) that the Celeron processor will make any computer experience a living hell ... especially if you expect alot out of your computer.

17. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

we have a name for Celerons: "the Celery processor"

18. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

That's funny. I will probably never buy a celeron, I heard that they are super slow.

19. dmcm01 Guest

yeah, i have an e-machines 800 or something, total junk, i stuck it in a ATX case and am doing a sort of rolling upgrade, just changing bits when they become the slowest part of my pc....

Ilikesalt ::: yes my cpu has about a 3" square heatsink with a tiny fan on it, no probs though, easy to fix take a look at this http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/airflowtweak/5.shtml
    just pages 5 and 6.shtml

20. shadarlocoth Registered Senior Member

I build my PC from the ground up for around 1700 bucks US.

2.8 p4 800 fsb with hiper threading
    abit mother board
    1.5 gigs of ram
    2 72 gig 10,000 rpm STA drives in raid
    costom all aluminum case with side window
    a all copper thermalteck heat sink was the best at the time
    gforce fx 5600 256 aka junk
    5.1 dig sound system
    gaming keyboard and mouse lighted pad
    has 9 fans in it
    500watt power supply
    2 250 gig 7200 rpm storage drives
    and a dvd-r / cdr burner
    and the good old 3.5 floopy 8)
    sound activated lighting system inside the case

build the computer your self its cheeper

21. GuessWho A Californian Registered Senior Member

My own my emachines Laptop for about 6 months now and it beats my expectations so far.

I admit that the name emachines and the low cost scared me at first but it turned out that the laptop itself feels solid physically and no problem that I have encountered yet except for one time, the DVD recorder does not eject after the little button is pressed forcing me to restart then things are back to normal.

22. Aborted_Fetus Bored Registered Senior Member

i was in the same situation as you going into school last year. i ended up buying an expensive desktop replacement laptop. i used this as my main PC and I also brought it to classes, etc. this was not the best choice. desktop replacement notebooks are not very mobile, and it was hard carrying to classes. my suggestion would be to get a good desktop PC (PLEEEEEEASE DO NOT GET A MAC!!!), i prefer the pentium 4 CPU. AMD used to be a good company, used to be able to get a CPU that far exceeded the performance of an intel at the same price, but that just isnt the case anymore. these days, you will get the same performance out of whatever price u put in, AMD or Intel, and becuase AMD runs much hotter than Intel, i usually just go for the Intel. plus, the P4's are much faster at video encoding than the AMDs. i saw a benchmark somewhere, where a p4 3.4ghz beat an athlon64 in video encoding. it seems like AMD isnt the company it used to be.

so, that would be my suggestion....buy a real good desktop pc, and get a small, mobile notebook for school work. that is what i am currently doing, and it works well for me.

hope my suggestions are helpful.

23. vslayer Registered Senior Member

go AMD, AMD is awesome, cheap, and colder than intel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.