alternatives to the big bang

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by invisibleone, Aug 31, 2003.

1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

No new physics is needed to explain space probes slowing down. In the case of Pioneer 10, the current most likely explanation is non-isotropic heat loss from the spacecraft.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. apolo Registered Senior Member

re: invent-solutions.com/

Question for advisor7

I tried getting on to your web site, but all I get is a site with some advertising , and it says on top "invent-solutions.com" comming soon.
    Does that mean your site is not yet up and running ?

Thanks for your answer. APOLO

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. apolo Registered Senior Member

isotropic heat loss ??

Hi JamesR

I have read most of your posts, and you are obviously a man of great intelect, which I admire. But you are also a BIG BANGER, and I dont hold that against you. After all there are still some people who beleive the earth is flatt. They have a club in England it is registered as a none proffit association in London. They have members from from many countries, and I understand -from a recent interveiw on
    CBC - that some of them have university degrees.
    But honestly "none isotropic heat loss". Do we have to use a crowbar to fit that into the BB theory.
    I refer you to the most recent article I have read on the subject in
    DISCOVER. "The force of gravity might no longer be directly proportional to acceleration. With this minor change, which kicks in when acceleration dip below one 10-billionth of a meter pr second every second, Milgrom found that he could perfectly predict the motions of galaxies without introducing the fudge factor of dark matter, by using MILGROM'S (new) LAW, known as MOND.

Regards APOLO

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

apolo:

<i>I have read most of your posts, and you are obviously a man of great intelect, which I admire.</i>

Thankyou.

<i>But you are also a BIG BANGER, and I dont hold that against you. After all there are still some people who beleive the earth is flatt.</i>

Whether or not the big bang is true is not a popularity contest. Science is decided on the evidence, not on what is the current trend (most of the time, anyway).

I'm not an astrophysicist, but from reading stuff by astrophysicists who know what they're on about, I get the impression that the big bang theory is still the most viable expanation for the start of our universe at present. So, I'm happy to go along with it until something better comes along.

<i>But honestly "none isotropic heat loss". Do we have to use a crowbar to fit that into the BB theory.</i>

That has nothing to do with the big bang. It is an explanation for the course deviation of the Pioneer space probe in terms of known physics - nothing more.

I trust you know what I mean by that term ...(?)

<i>I refer you to the most recent article I have read on the subject in DISCOVER. "The force of gravity might no longer be directly proportional to acceleration. With this minor change, which kicks in when acceleration dip below one 10-billionth of a meter pr second every second, Milgrom found that he could perfectly predict the motions of galaxies without introducing the fudge factor of dark matter, by using MILGROM'S (new) LAW, known as MOND.</i>

I can't comment on MOND, since I don't know much about it. However, I do know that not everybody agrees that it is a great theory. I have heard there are problems with it.

8. Ares Registered Senior Member

"I have read most of your posts, and you are obviously a man of great intelect, which I admire. But you are also a BIG BANGER, and I dont hold that against you. After all there are still some people who beleive the earth is flatt. They have a club in England it is registered as a none proffit association in London."

You are arguing from analogy here, comparing the people who argue for a big-bang with believers in a flat Earth-in my view, a very poor analogy indeed.

The Flat Earth movement, much like believers in alien abductions, UFOs being alien spacecraft, ether theories of space and time, Young-Earth Creationists, etc believe that there is a 'truth' or system of truths, which whilst may stand in apparent contradiction to the findings of modern science, is still true. They hold to their beliefs steadfastly no matter what factual evidence you present to them, to which they usually respond 'Well, you are part of the establishment...' or appeal to faith or to bibilical authority or whatever-but their refusal to modify their belief system when confronted by contradictory evidence is the same no matter what it is they believe.

This does not apply to BB cosmology. BB cosmology, as any professional astronomer would tell you, is a changing science that is stringently tested against observation-different models of the universe make different predictions which are tested stringently by precise observation. It is through this 'trial and error' process that science-and astronomy-progresses and the big bang theory is no different.

"They have members from from many countries, and I understand -from a recent interveiw on
    CBC - that some of them have university degrees."

Qualifications are mainly important for those who are applying for a job in the field-what really matters however is the underlying science and how it stands up to testing.

"But honestly "none isotropic heat loss". Do we have to use a crowbar to fit that into the BB theory.
    I refer you to the most recent article I have read on the subject in
    DISCOVER. "The force of gravity might no longer be directly proportional to acceleration. With this minor change, which kicks in when acceleration dip below one 10-billionth of a meter pr second every second, Milgrom found that he could perfectly predict the motions of galaxies without introducing the fudge factor of dark matter, by using MILGROM'S (new) LAW, known as MOND."

MOND theory is one of several theories used to explain the problem of 'dark matter.' Strictly speaking, dark matter is not a problem for big bang theory-it is more a problem for observational cosmology and astronomy. We know the universe has emerged from a hot, dense state in the past without having to know exactly what DM is.