Alternative to Special Relativity

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Prosoothus, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Fluidity Registered Senior Member

Terms are hard to follow, but...

It is like the kinetic transfer of energy we see in the swinging pendulum set of five steel balls. The ball on the end "captures" all the energy from the first, at the speed of sound through steel.
    Friction is not required or evident in space for other reasons, but the kinetic transfer of energy takes place at the speed of light, making the actual movement of space impractical logic.

It is frictionless because it is frictionless, like a superconductor has the inherent properties of superconductivity.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Tom:

If your aether has no measurable effects, it is not a scientifically useful concept.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. apolo Registered Senior Member

I am going yo stay out of this argument. And just keep listening

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Crisp Gone 4ever Registered Senior Member

Hi Tom,

"This could explain why aether is frictionless."

Friction does not exist...

Oh sorry, only in Newtonian mechanics, but I guess we both agree that we won't use that to describe your aether or anything cosmological at all ?

Bye!

Crisp

8. Prosoothus Registered Senior Member

James R,

Your right, but aether is not the cornerstone of my theory. I'm just using aether as something that gravitational fields (and matter) can travel through. My theory states that the speed of light is not dependent on the aether (if it exists), but is dependent on the gravitational field that light finds itself in at any particular moment.

I am saying that the omnidirectional speed of light is only c in the gravitational field that the light finds itself in at the moment. In order for the Michelson-Morley apparatus to show interference patterns, it must be moving relative to the gravitational field. If it is stationairy relative to the gravitational field, no interference patterns will appear regardless of how fast the gravitational field is moving in the aether (if it exists).

My theory can be easily tested with satellites. If I'm right, then a synchronous satellite's time will only have to be adjusted once (to compensate the time dilation that it experiences as it moves through the Earth's gravitational field to reach it's orbit). Once in orbit, the synchronous satellite's time won't need to be adjusted since the satellite is stationairy relative to the Earth's spinning gravitational field. In contrast, the clock on an unsynchronous satellite will always be running slower since it is always moving relative to the Earth's gravitational field.

As I stated before, my theory also explains the Twin Paradox. According to my theory, the travelling twin is older because he/she is moving through gravitational fields, while the twin on Earth was stationairy relative to the Earth's gravitational field.

I honestly think that I stumbled onto something very important. I have a theory that seems to explain the results of numerous "relativistic" experiments, without having to take time dilation or length contraction into consideration. The assumption that light uses gravitational fields as a medium of travel is such a simple idea I'm surprised that no one has thought of it before.

I would really appreciate to hear your opinion as why my theory is or is not valid. I would also like to hear the opinions of Crisp, chroot, thed, lethe, and Q, because they are all strong proponents of relativity (even though Crisp is beginning to have doubts

).

Tom

9. Prosoothus Registered Senior Member

Crisp,

Yes, I guess we can both agree on that.

Seriously, are you claiming that if aether exists it must exert resistance on moving matter??

Tom

10. blobrana Registered Senior Member

The light-spectrum from distant quasars/Galaxy's sources are shifted due to the motion of the earth as it orbits the sun...
    would there be a `hidden` effect due to this Aether?

Perhaps it would be strong enough to show up due to the motion of the sun around the milky-way...?

11. Fluidity Registered Senior Member

It goes without saying...

That if space is composed of anything 'tangible' that it must follow most if not all accepted theory and violate no proven law of physics.

Whatever the 'stuff' is, it has to be frictionless, virtually without mass, possess no electrical current, and behave in the way top theorists suggest, in that it enables and affects gravity and other quantum mechanics beyond the principles of known particle physics.

The concept of a light-aether was shot down by Einstein pretty succintly in his discussions about general and special relativity.

However, even the top physicists admit there is a 'something' to space-time, and that something is responsible for a large portion of the behavior of quantum mechanics.

If I suggest a super-fluid is responsible for the "Strong Force" in atomic structure, bear in mind I do not suggest it acts alone, the same way I describe gravity, which appears to be a function of mass and energy, and the 'stuff' of space-time. There are certainly gluons, gravitons, quarks...etc. Space-time is responsible for the behavior of these particles, whatever space-time is composed of.

Nor do I suppose or pretend we could make energy without mass to create gravity, I only suggest we can create significant forces of gravity with less mass by releasing an abundant amount of energy from that mass.

Being an infant of physics, I cannot and will not suggest that any proven theory is in the trash can because of some concept I "smell."

But, I'm not the only one that 'smells' something, and I'm not the only one that things it is very important to find out what it is, how it behaves, and how to manipulate it.

12. Prosoothus Registered Senior Member

blobrana,

The Doppler shift that you are referring to is not influenced by the medium that light travels through (aether). It is only dependent on the speed (and direction) of the object that is emitting the light (quasars/galaxies) and the speed (and direction) of the object that is absorbing the light. To calculate the Doppler shift, you only need to know the speed of of the two objects relative to each other, and not their speeds relative to the aether (if it exists).

If aether does exist, then the frequency of light in the aether would be different than the perceived frequency of the emitted light (by the emittor), and the percieved frequency of the absorbed light (by the reciever). The problem is that there is no way of measuring the frequency of the light in the aether. The only way to measure the frequency of a photon is to absorb it, and, unfortunately, the process of absorption would cancel the effects that the aether has on the light.

Tom

13. Prosoothus Registered Senior Member

Fluidity,

I believe that Einstein made a huge mistake. He assumed that light's medium is the aether. Since the Earth is moving through the aether, the Michelson-Morley experiment should have shown interference patterns. Since interference patterns were not observed, Einstein assumed that aether does not exist, and that the omnidirectional speed of light is c in all frames of reference. These assumptions led him to develop his theories of relativity.

What Einstein didn't understand, was that light's medium is not the aether, it's the gravitational field. Since the gravitational field of the Earth is moving, with the Earth, through the aether, the Michelson-Morley experiment will show no interference patterns because the Michelson-Morley apparatus is stationairy relative to the Earth's gravitational field.

Tom

14. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Why does light need a medium?
    It seems much easier to say 'In the present of gravity, it....'

If you are giving light a medium 'just because', then why not do the same with gravity? And whatever that medium turns out to be, should also have it's own medium.

You're getting to the same problem creationists have... they say the universe had to be created by something, but by the same logic the creator had to be created by something.

15. Fluidity Registered Senior Member

Prosoothus

In that we are both trying to grasp the concept of space-time by putting it in a box, we still have to follow all principles of known physics.

You state that the medium of light is the gravitational/magnetic field. Well, the problem is that over the vast distances of billions of light years, we still see visible light from other galaxies, which most certainly traveled most of that distance unaffected by gravitational fields or magnetic fields. Whatever light travels through, it has nothing to do with gravity or magnetism. Another paradox in your aether is that it places a relativite position or absolute spatial coordinate between Earth and itself. This is impossible.

Only through the warpage of space-time can the path of light be altered without the interference of some type of matter.

Whatever the 'stuff' is, it responds to gravity. This is a proven fact. It is not of itself gravity.

16. Prosoothus Registered Senior Member

Persol,

I'm assuming that everything that moves, must have a medium to move through.

Light moves through gravitational fields.

Gravitational fields (and matter) move through the aether.

Aether doesn't need a medium because it doesn't move.

Tom

17. Fluidity Registered Senior Member

OK, You assume much here and say little. Light does have a medium, and that medium is space-time. Gravity has medium, and that medium is space-time. Matter has a medium, and that medium is space-time. Magnetism, particle waves, cosmic rays, everthing percievable in the dimensions we observe takes place in the medium of space-time. Every law of physics obeys the medium of space-time. Space-time is the cause of all laws of physics.

Furthermore, one creationist differs from another, in that each can possess a personal philosophy. In my philosphy, not that you care, God is born of chaos, of all that was before order, the emerging perfection of true chaos, to create entropy instead of chaos, order instead of disorder. In the passage of infinite time in a field of chaos, one force will emerge to create order. It is as much a principle of chaos to believe in random order as it is the inverse.

We are in the Universe of entropy and order. This is the Universe of God, the one perfect being that emerged of chaos, and all laws of this Universe are the creation of God. In that you deny such a thing can be proven, its very foundation of truth is that there is no chaos in this Universe, only entropy and order.

18. Fluidity Registered Senior Member

Aether doesn't need a medium because it doesn't move.

Tom [/B][/QUOTE]

That is the point. It must move; it must absolutely be flexible, pliant, and volumous, without friction or mass.

19. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

But there is no reason to make this assumtion. If you fell the need to contain the motion to a box, call the box Space. There is no reason to create a medium if it 'has no measurable effects'.

20. Prosoothus Registered Senior Member

Persol,

What's the difference between 1 m of space and 1 km of space?? If space is made out of nothing, then there is no difference between the two. If there is no difference between the two, then why does it take light one thousand times longer to travel 1 km than it takes it to travel 1 m???

If space was truly made out of nothing, then speed of light would be infinite. The fact that the speed of light has a definite and finite speed is indirect proof that space must be composed of something.

Tom

21. Prosoothus Registered Senior Member

Fluidity,

We have different definitions of aether. I look at the aether as the universal medium (therefore it must be static). It is possible that there are other mediums that move and flex within this universal medium, but I wouldn't call them aether.

Tom

22. Fluidity Registered Senior Member

The point is, that space-time is the <I>cause</I> of all measurable effects, and thereby must be tangible. We manipulate it in crude ways now, with the creation of light, sound, electricity, magnetism, fission, fusion...etc. To calculate the higher physics of mass or 'matter' and eliminate the varialbe space-time is now considered ignorance.

In the same way we beat our drums and chanted our songs, crudely manipulating the atmoshpere, to in turn build airplanes and spacecraft, we will learn to manipulate space-time to create energy more efficiently, travel great distances, etc...

We don't want to 'create' the medium; the medium exists. We are attempting to define it clearly enough to improve its tangibility, or our grasp of it.

23. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

A distance is still a distance even without a mdeium
    It is relative
    If the aether has no medium then it's speed would be infinite? Same logic... it breaks down...
    No... the speed is relative