(Alpha) General relativity is self-inconsistent v2

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by zanket, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Note to all (myself included)

Please keep the conversation on track, RE the alpha rules (linked to in the original post).

This thread is "grandfathered" in, in some sense. While I believe that zanket has been refuted long ago, I don't think I can (in good conscience) move these threads to Pseudoscience or Cesspool.

The crux of the issue, as I remember it, is zanket's refusal to allow an experiment of infinite accuracy to be carried out. Also (I think) he ignores the causal structure of space-time, which is important. Of course, this is exactly how all measurements are made in gendanken experiments.

I will also note that I have discussed this experiment with other grad students (whose intuition I trust more than my own, when it comes to black holes), and we came to the same conclusion regarding the breaking of the rope. (This was actually about a month ago, and I had completely forgotten these threads.) This is a well-known thought experiment (apparently), with a well-known resolution.

However, I will lock this thread, and ask that all future posts be made in the ``v3'' version.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.