(ALPHA) EPR Paradox---SciForums Journal Club

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by BenTheMan, Nov 2, 2007.

1. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Ok, I think I will start a journal club, and judging by interest, perhaps we can keep it going for a while. If you don;t know, a journal club is a forum for people to read and discuss a journal article in some detail, with the goal of understanding the conclusions as explicitly as possible. For example, at OSU we have an LHC journal club, where we talk about LHC phenomenology and experiment.

For the first journal club, I ran across this article : On the EPR Paradox. This is Bell's original 1960-something paper on the subject, where he shows that hidden variables are inconsistent with quantum mechanics.

If you are interested, please read the paper, and we can discuss back and forth what we are learning. If you haven't read the paper, I invite you to follow the discussion.

My vision is that, at some point in the future, other people will suggest articles for open discussion, and we can all learn some actual physics.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reiku Banned Banned

Hi Ben.

I would be interested to read the paper. I've read quite a few concerning EPR, but i am having problems accessing the one you provided.

Could you attach a copy to:

garethlee. meredith@tiscali.co.uk

Thanks

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Your email address is wrong.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Reiku Banned Banned

No... its all one

(garethlee.meredith@tiscali)

8. Reiku Banned Banned

Hey.

I've never read the original paper, so cheers Ben.

So, what is the purpose of this club...

9. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

Hey Reiku

http://www.adobe.com/

1.Click that link
    2.Download Adobe Reader
    3.Install Adobe Reader

That should fix the problem.

10. Reiku Banned Banned

I can download this yet Klippy because of certain technicalities, but i will eventually.... cheers pal.

11. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

Thanks for the Paper. It looks awesome.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  12. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Has anyone read the paper yet?

13. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

I've read it. My understanding is that he isn't showing that hidden variables are inconsistent with QM, but rather that any correct hidden variable theory would still have to be nonlocal. Which is to say that hidden variables aren't relevant to the paradox; whether you go in for them or not, you're stuck with nonlocality.

14. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

This is exactly correct. quad---I am quite busy right now, so if you want to start some discussion, feel free. Otherwise I will find some time tonight.

15. Farsight

Take note of this:

Quantum Entanglement: Is spookiness under threat?

The link is just a stub I'm afraid, but the full article is worth reading. In a nutshell it suggests Quantum Physics isn't so spooky after all, Bell got something very basic wrong, and the answer lies in geometry.

16. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Farsight---

If you could please explain the place where Bell made his mistake in the paper, it would be a very welcomed contribution to the discussion.

17. Reiku Banned Banned

Bell made no mistake. He was spot on.

18. Farsight

I haven't got it in front of me, so from now-hazy memory: the article didn't point out a precise error in Bell's paper, but said Bell employed commutative operations, wherein the sequence didn't matter. However when you employ non-commutative operations such as rotations, it does, and this damages Bell's proof. I've got to go now, but there should be something in one or more of Joy Christian's papers:

http://arxiv.org/find/grp_physics/1/au: christian_joy/0/1/0/all/0/1

The article said the particular Joy Christian paper concerned is under review at Physics Review Letters I think.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  19. iceaura Valued Senior Member

I'd like this one stickied - it's going to be slow, I think - certainly for me. It's hard, I mean.

example: Years ago I worked out the logical structure of Bell's argument with Venn diagrams, and found that very enlightening. But I can't find the notebook, and the whole thing is fuzzy. I think a lot of us - or the three interested, or whoever - have to do similar catching up.

20. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Apologies all---

I have been busy lately with trying to get a paper out the door, and haven't done much else. Hopefully this weekend I will get a chance to read the Bell paper in more detail. So far, quad has made the (correct) statement that any hidden variables would have to be non-local anyway, and Farsight has made some general claims about Bell missing something, and linked to a set of papers by Joy Christian. As to those papers, I can't say I understand them fully, but it seems that Christian wants to reformulate quantum mechanics in terms of clifford algebras.

Perhaps Farsight can read one of those papers and explain it to us.

21. extrasense Registered Senior Member

The finding errors is not easy.

So I'll just state the reality:

The culprit is the 'Projection Postulate'.
    Without it, everything works correctly, and there is no paradoxes.
    Bell is on the wild geese chase.

ES

22. iceaura Valued Senior Member

23. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Well, this topic seems to have died. Perhaps we shall revive it at some point in the future.

Apologies all! I have been busy finishing a paper before everyone leaves for christmas.