All Sci-Fi is real!

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Thor, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I was just playing a game and all of a sudden a thought came to me...

Ready for this thought? Thought so...

"If the universe is infinite...then all these Sci-Fi things have, are or will happen!"

So somewhere out there is a Star Trek, a Star Wars and a Farscape and all these other things taking place. That's if the 'infinite universe' thing is true mind.

But it's a hell of a thought!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Leviticus Banned Banned

maybe if there are multiple universes, but probably not in an infinite universe.
    as far as i am aware the laws of physics are constant everywhere (there is some theory that says it isnt/might not be which is on the tip of my tongue) or so it is assumed, therefore most sci-fi wouldnt become reality completley.
    e.g. most early star trek episodes have some strange phenomenon like abraham lincoln appearing in front of the ship- which is 'explained' away by saying something like
    "there must have been a rip in the space-time continuum (spelt the right way), let us shoot at it until it leaves us captain".
    these sorts of things probably wont happen in our universe (not with such weak explanations) but maybe in another universe (if they are there) with another set of physics (probably the one where something like pythagorass theorem is law of everything 'lol') then it might happen.

nice idea though

p.s. im not a trekkie. i hate that program now.

Leviticus

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Okay, I guess I didn't think my post through thoroughly enough. I kind of meant the "universe" of different Sci-fi shows and movies. I.e. in one area there's a bunch of Peacekeepers running around killing stuff and in another the Galactic Empire is oppressing more stuff and a Federation of Planets are doing some boring stuff elsewhere.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Leviticus Banned Banned

peacekeepers were terrible

8. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

BUT THEY LIVE!! LIVE I TELLS YA, LIVE!! So does Yoda, the Marshmallow Man, Tony the Tiger and Eskimos, who'd of thought!

9. Leviticus Banned Banned

cough *crap*
    they would have been wiped out by the enterprise (yawn) yeah thats rite - ON ITS OWN lololololololol

also, in nearly all sci-fis there is a main stage which = earth. thus there are millions of earths around the universe that have developed IDENTICAL histories rite up to the moment of the scifi story unfolding

AHHAHAHHAHAHAHA BOLLOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Well if the Universe is infinite then yes, yes there is.

Anyway, Star Wars didn't involve Earth, nor does Farscape (if you exclude Crichton), nor does...some other shit. Yeah, humour me here!

11. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

then all cartoons are real too?

12. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

Oh man, I can think of a lot of other scifi universes that I want to be real besides farscapes peacekeepers. Um... most of them exist in amature erotic scence fiction though.

13. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

*bangs head repeatitly upon desk*

Okay, look at it this way. It's like that saying about the monkeys and typewriters and an infinite amount of time. Except time is space, and the monkeys are Sci-fi shows or concepts or universes within Sci-Fi shows.

If there are an infinite possibilities out there in our universe then at least one of them HAS to be similar if not exactly like Star Wars, one like Star Trek, one like Flash Gordon...but real. Not the stories but the universe...

Am I getting through yet?

14. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

If we have been expanding from the point of the big bang since time began then the universe is indeed finite, and there isnt room for everything to be true. I saw a show about theorys on the architecture of the universe, where our universe is a bubble in the greater universe. Our bubble was caused by the big bang, and its expansion rate determines how the real universes physics are warped for us, and in other bubbles in this greater universe there may be different physics. But the real point was that this architecture didn't require alternate dimentions, just vast distances between universe bubbles. Something like that. So everything might indeed be possible.

In fact I think i got this from an article I was reading, not the discovery channel... they also had an equation for exactly how far away the nearest Identical universe should be if this theory is true.... Ill see If I cant track that down and post a link up here.

15. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Indeed. The Big Bang theory relies on everything being finite but how can everything be finite. Everything is infinite and my small mind is too inferior to even contemplate this. How can we reach the end of exsistance itself...man I've gotta find that book by Stephen Hawking I was reading the other month...

Anyway, if everything was infinite then there would be an infinite number of possibilities thus most things we see on TV, fact or fiction, could in some respects be true, nay, are true and have, are or will be happening at some point in the universe.

With this in mind I am going to go make some toast

16. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

Thor, I think we get it, but even with thier theoretical existance, thier spacial separation from us still makes it so they might as well not exist, or at least we shouldn't really devote much thought to the fact that they could. Although, as I stated in my point above, I wish a few of them would. There are a lot of interesting things to have sex with in space.

17. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Like Melons!

Well my brain has now been drained and I must depart to the neverending war against fatigue.

In conclusion, All Sci-Fi is real but they're all too far away for any of us to give a damn so this thread has now been deemed pointless and my moral and self-esteem has been crushed like so many little nothings...

Good night

18. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

Don't worry Thor, I will find some sort of paracite space slug to stick in your brain that will make you happy... also an unstopable nymphomaniac. Space rules.

19. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Well, I could imagine an alternate reality where everything is one dimensional... So yes, yes cartoons are real.

-- The Grand Dragon Gizzard

20. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

cartoons are two dimentional

21. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

Does all of this mean that somewhere there could be a "The force"? Because I so want to be a Jedi Knight! Or at least sleep with one. . .

22. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Actually, whose to say that in 10,000 years that humans won't learn how to bend a ray of light into a sword? Can you say light-saber?

23. Leviticus Banned Banned

how did this thread manage to keep going for so long?

of course i can say 'ligh-saber' who can't?

and my refute of your statement still stands. the histories would never be the same. since the forces of physics would end up different to account for various things (like the force) which would have inextricably (arg what a word) change history thus----- CRAP.
    but it would be cool