Alert NEWS:COLUMBIA BREAKS UP!

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Cthulhu, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

That 'old' shuttle had recently been refurbished and was
    in top condition with the newest technology available.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

If you call solid fuel boosters and a giant throw away tank that had a piece fall off and damage the shuttle and possible cause the tragedy that we have witnessed: “top condition with the newest technology available” then you are very wrong!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

What get's me...

People, this is something that is unsettling for me. What Im about to say may upset you, make you mad, or say "Hey. He's right."

Nobody, and I mean nobody, every watches the shuttle launch and land. People could care less for the NASA channel, people could care less about NASA itself. But all of a sudden, seven people die and they are "heroes."

Let me tell you what I think of that. If you didn't know their names before hand, if you didn't even know that the first Israeli was on that flight before, if you don't even know the name of the other shuttles, then how the heck are they heroes to you? Because they died? Oh yeah, that's right. They are heroes because they died... No other reason. They just are.

Nobody has to know who you are before hand, but after your dead... Your a hero. If they were such great people, and people are crying over this, then you should have said that they were heroes before they ever went into space, not when they died.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

WellCooked...
    We do not currently have single stage rockets or hypersonics jets that could lift the shuttle into orbit. So yes, this is the newest technology available.
    As for the ice that formed and hit the shuttle, this is a function of the booster tank. It is designed to release gas so it doesn't explode as it heats up. The deisgn flaw would be that this forms ice on the side of the tank... and nasa didn't consider that the ice would get large enough to cause damage.

8. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Persol,
    We would have had both those if people were willing to fork over the money!!!

CounslerCoffee,
    They are heroes because they were doing something for the benefit of the whole human race. Heroes get remembered for their deeds how can you remember a hero that did nothing?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2003
  9. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Even if we did fork over the money we'd be starting from scratch. The new system would initially be inheriently more dangerous BECAUSE it is new. There are always problems people havn't thought of... with the shuttle most of those problems have been found and fixed over time.
    It makes more sense to fund alot of smaller R&D projects to find which are best, and then focus. This is what Nasa is doing with the single-stage rocket , hypersonic jet, and ion engine. Why put all our eggs in one basket, which may have a hole in the bottom?

P.S. The shuttle can't fit through those gates... how cruel can god be

10. DirtyDave Registered Member

we need a new system, but they knew that re-entry was guna be a mission coz a bit of thermal insulation fell off during take off, so y didnt they get transferred to another ship whilst in orbit? they knew re-entry was guna b blatently dangerous, they cant say they cant afford to do a resuce mission, lives aint valued in money!

11. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

What other ship? Another shuttle wasn't read to go up, and the russian capsules can't hold 7 people. As for the ISS, the shuttle was full of research equipment... they probably didn't have the ability to dock, or space suits. Even if they did dock, the ISS would not be able to support 10 people for an extended period of time. Finally, the fact that the shuttle would have run out of fuel before making it to the ISS.

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

They said they check it didn't they? They also did not have the equipment or training up there to replace a tile which I think is the first thing that we should learn from this tragedy!

13. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

So all the previous astronauts are heroes to? Right? So what are their names? What mission did they fly? Can you tell me that? Or not? The only reason you know who they are, is because there dead. That's why there heroes, and that's awful.

14. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

A point of information:

Columbia was not capable of linking up with the ISS
    and never was intended to be used in that way.

Half-Cooked:

Check the dictionary meaning of 'refurbished'

15. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

There are alot of heros in our world. Most go completely unnoticed because we take them for granted.

I'm not certain if these astronauts fall into the 'hero' category. They enjoy what they are doing, and they don't do it to save human lives but to do research in space. It's the same as calling Columbus a hero because he explored America. It just wouldn't make sense.

Now there is a martyr argument for these astronauts, but I think hero is pushing it.

16. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

You have a point there: they are martyrs!

Chagur,
    So we are on an insulting basis are we? I was not talking about that, read my posts up there a little more closely.

17. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

I havent read the whole thread yet- dont have time- but Ill say this:

If you think it was an act of terrorism, you're wrong.

First off, since 9/11 security concerning NASA missions has been tighter than a size 26 waist on a man with a comfortable fit of 42.

Second off, The space shuttle was, what, 60 miles high in the atmosphere? Is that even considered being in the atmosphere?

Third....Very interesting and persuasive thing here.... IT WAS TRAVELING AT 12,500MPH! THATS REALLY FRICKEN FAST! By comparision, the fastest missle that could even think about trying to hit the shuttle travels at, what, a mere 1,500 mph?

most likely, a small crack in the heat shielding caused a catostophic chain reaction as soon as temperatures and pressures got considerably high which caused the heat shielding to be stripped off the left wing at first then destabilized the ship into a breaking apart fireball of liquid metal traveling at roughly 16 and 1/2 times the speed of sound.

Later
    T

18. Dwayne D.L.Rabon Registered Senior Member

T There is no friction when the shuttle is in the last leg of reentry, there is no heat gain to acclerate the aready gain tempiture, meaning the shuttlehad already reached its maxium temipture from reentry and was cooling down, not heating up. as well the shuttle was in a nitrogen rich atmosphere about 40 miles up, where the nitrogen atomsphere would disapate the heat of the shuttle quickly, as would the vaccum created by the heat of the shuttle, where light would travel faster than the other light in the atmosphere.
    The cause of the disater was a increase in atmopheric pressure
    (gravity) on reentry into the tropopause.

DWAYNE D.L.RABON

19. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

no no and NO! The shuttle will still produce heat from air friction tell it is below 1500mph!!! In any atmosphere might I add! If the shuttle were rubbing on Teflon at the speeds it was going at it would still be producing incredible amounts of heat! what you are saying is utter crap I advice a general physic class ASP!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2003
  20. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Damn WellCooked... you beat me to it.

21. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

No No you can keep explaining: I hate trying to correct him so much of what he says make no sence, It would take me hours to explain everything to him!

just call me Fetus

22. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

As I explained in the Compressed Gas thread:

23. Dwayne D.L.Rabon Registered Senior Member

First off the escape ratio of gases excceds the speed of the shuttle and will conduct heat, meaing it will respond to the effecting tempture of the shuttle.
    Nitrogen is the greates exspanding gases known,some 108 to the 3rd power oer degree Celious.
    When the shuttle begins reentry in starts to heat from friction, where the materials of the atmosphere traveling at the same speed as the shuttle or faster than the shutlle cause friction. here heat builds up and heats the under belly of the shuttle, for this reason the shuttle needs heat shielding tiles on its belly.
    As the shuttle reaches furthur into the atmosphere the beely has become hot and emitts radiant energy which caises the belly to glow, this emmision of wave from travels at the speed of light, the light of the emmissions travel faster in space than in the earths atmosphere,(light in a vaccum) as the shuttle is futhur in the atmosphere of earth the emmissions effect the surroundings accelerating the atmos of the atmosphere, in this action to effect the atmosphere the atmosphere is pushed away from the shuttles belly, this is why the shuttle can glide in to the earths atmosphere, and even be picked up by a aircraft, called piggy backing. because nitrogen is so responsive to heat it does not cause the action of friction, the shuttle bascially enters the nitrogen rich atmosphere where it cools from reentey and then slows down gradually from the retaction of nitrogen exspansion, the retaction of nitrogen allows the shuttle to then glide to a landing.
    the heat of the belly of the shuttle starts pushing the atmosphere away from its belly long before enetery the nitrogen rich atmosphere. nitrogen does not attract to a heat source it exspansed from the heat source, hence the use of nitrogen in nitro exsplosions. oxygen responds the same way ay high temptures, it is at the lower temps that it is a aid in fuel burning. both gases excced the exspace ratio when heated.
    plainly there is no turbalance to the shuttle when it enters the nitrogen rich atmosphere about 40 mile up. however later as the shuttle cools friction is created and the shuttle uses it to glide to earth.
    when the shutlle has reached this nitrogen rich atmosphere it has already reached it highest tempture that it will get in fact it reachs this temoture before reaching the nitrogen rich atmosphere, upon reaching the nitrogen rich atmosphere it begins cooling, due to the effect of nitrogen to transmit heat,emmison from the craft, it is also greatly transmited by the vaccum created from the repusion of nitrogen, where the emmission travels fast through a vaccum that through a atmosphere of nitrogen, (i.e the heat sink of space, a vaccum).
    if you don't belive this reaction of oxygen and nitrogen then get a gas can, tins can heat the bottom of it with a burnner, and then put a lid on the can, it will collaspe, this is due to the fact that the gases of the atmoshpere are pushed out of the can by heat, removing atmosphere support from the inside of the can, this causes the can to collaspe. Like wise the shuttle uopn the last part of its reentry pushes the atmosphere away from its belly and there is no friction.
    what ever haapen to the shuttle happed before atmosphere began to effect the reentry path of the shuttle as there was no means for friction to cause the carft to fail in flight, even a damaged wing would have no turbalance to effect it at the point that the shuttle encountered its problems resulting in the destruction of the craft. however there is the effect of gravity which will change the atmospheric pressure inside of the shuttle.
    in this case the piolets of the shuttle would not feel or recognise the change of atmospheric pressure untill they reached the nitrogen rich atmosphere, as this is where the force of gravity picks up on renetry.
    As noted by nasa the piolets were suited up for rentry, it the procces of being in space there is no gravity but the shuttle atmophere is pressurized so the they can properly breath in space orbit. this pressure is more than likle above that of suface pressure on earth, under the event the piolets suit up and there suits are presurized in space and the shutlle chamber is reduced in pressures, upon rentry the suits depressurize to compnesate for the increase in atmospheric pressure, the shuttle chambers must keep a pressure to prvent the shuttle from imploding, when entering earths atmopshere the pressure increases to about that of 30 ft of water or greater, whereing suits that increase to about 65 70 ft of water, that is enough to cause the bends in a few minutes. after enteing the nitrogen rich atmosphere. like wise in sea water. inside the shutlle would be like 50 pounds per sq. in. where out side the shuttle there is little pressure, from the vaccum created, and then a presssure of 14 pounds a sq. in.
    this means that the shuttle has to compensate the internal pressure of the shuttle to prevent the bends in the crew members, here if upon entry to the nitrogen rich atmosphere the internal pressure of the shuttle is depressurized the shuttle will implode just like a submarine, it the case of the shuttle it imploded and then exsploded or as it slowed down quickly it began to burn appearing like a fire ball in the sky. now as it quicly slowed down it would be effected by friction and burn.

DWAYNE D.L.RABON