Alert NEWS:COLUMBIA BREAKS UP!

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Cthulhu, Feb 1, 2003.

1. BloodSuckingGerbile Master of Puppets Registered Senior Member

Cool

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Firefly Registered Senior Member

Adam - thanks for the links.

BloodSuckingGerbile - In one of them it said at the height it was at, it seems unlikely to have been a terrorist related incident.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Firefly Registered Senior Member

There's already two threads about this.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

VASIMR! Hahahaha that is one of those touch-pushy kind of engines it can't do any better then 200N and you would need 1,000,000N to get a rocket off the earth. VASIMR was planed for LEO to LMO (low Martian orbit) and back not for landings it just does not have enough thrust!

8. I was being facetious, man!

9. spookz Banned Banned

this shit is starting to sink in and i am really starting to feel sad. what a fucking way to wake up!

10. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

they need to stop with all their futile(and, yes..i did say futile attempts) to conquer space. it'll never happen. they (nasa) are just wasting alot of money (ours) and lives. grrrrr

11. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

Some of the U.S./Israeli debris landed in Palestine, Texas. Oh, if only Bush could put the signs together!

12. Congrats Bartok Fiend Registered Senior Member

Space Shuttle Explodes

Well....I have not posted on sciforums for about 6 months...but has anyone else heard anything in the past ten minutes about the space shuttle Columbia exploding over Texas? I believe it was the first flight of an Israeli astronaut...

Just feel a bit shocked, and any new info is definately welcome!

13. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Nasa did have talk of scaling up VASIMR engines, but I didn't see anything that would be used for takeoff. Nasa is politically smart enough not to use a nuclear engine in takeoff. A nuclear battery they've used... but not an engine...

14. Congrats Bartok Fiend Registered Senior Member

The shuttles are just too old. NASA has botched every attempt for a cost-efficient replacement, so I suppose this should be the fate of each of them, one by one.

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I think that all the terrorist talk is BS
    for the government it is more convenient to say that it's a terrorist attack
    America always seeks for an outer enemy, and now they probably won't give more funding to NASA for developing new shuttles, but instead will close the perimeter with a tank division for "security" reasons
    will be cheaper and look better
    people will like it
    government has even more support to fight the "terrorists"

16. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Third time's a charm

17. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

The Bush administration has already agreed it's not terrorism. However, expect them to say "it's not terrorism" over and over again.

18. Actually, an impressive yet all together ineffectual tank barricade is exactly what they will probably do . . .

19. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

The government has stated that a terrorist attack is VERY unlikely. We don't have anything that could hit them all the way up there, at that speed... let alone terrorists. It would've had to been done on the ground, and the effect would have probably been seen during takeoff (or the 16 days in space).

Current leading theories are:
    wing damaged during takeoff
    heat failure
    hit by orbiting debri

20. Cthulhu Banned Banned

"VASIMR! Hahahaha that is one of those touch-pushy kind of engines "

Yeah, it would take about 3 reactors to power a VASIMR engine for a Mars mission. That's not what I meant. The big advance with the VASIMR drive was discovering how to contain plasma temperatures. This same technology could be used for a hybrid NTR/PLASMA engine. Temperature was always the main obstacle to gaining thrust. There are many ways of getting the required thrust from nuclear power. The real arguement is radiation. The exhaust radiation from Nerva was minimal. The nozzles were pointed straight up because the levels were simply negligible.

21. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

they claims something fell off doing take off!!! I just heard it on the news what was it?!?

22. Too bad . . . we should have a thread called "Green_World's Sciforum Funeral: Retinere in Memoria: A Great Islamic Warrior"

We can all feign grief and carry his "coffin" to his "grave" with emotes like *Kicks ugly tombstone down into grave*

23. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

A piece of insulation hit the wing during takeoff... but they looked at it in orbit and said the wing was fine. We'll just have to wait and see..