Alcohol is it our single biggest social problem?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by alexb123, Oct 12, 2005.

1. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

If it is what should we do about it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

on a list of things wrong with society i would list alcohol at about #3,427. there are so many more pressing problems. alcohol actually relieves some of the stresses of society.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Brew your own beer.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Datura surrender to nothing Registered Senior Member

Revert to prohibition. It's the only option.

8. Facial Valued Senior Member

Yes! BAn all alcohol.

I started a separate poll on this.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It is a problem yet they want to legalize pot also which will become like alcohol which will lead to it being abused and cause more problems in the future. If alcohol is consumed properly then there wouldn't be as many problems but there are so many ignorant people out there who can't just stop after a few drinks and must continue drinking until they are drunk. Like most everything, if you drink in moderation you usually can control yourself but many don't understand what moderation means.

Alcohol abuse is a very bad problem for anyone can buy it anywhere for cheap. They say only those 18 and above are supposed to be able to buy it but we all know that teenagers can buy it very easily today. There no way to stop its sales but educating the young about its problems is one way to help curb its misuse. Taking the cars away from people who are found drinking over the limit and driving would be a better way to prevent drunks from killing other people on the highways. Just making a drunk pay a fine won't stop them from drinking and driving but removing their cars will put a stop to it.

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Go a step further...

Removing all cars will save ten-thousands of American lives.

11. milkweed Valued Senior Member

As I understand it, with the millions who do use alcohol, most do not develop a problem with it. It cannot be the biggest social problem or wouldnt most have this complication?

As with anything we are free to chose to do, there will be a percentage who cannot make good choices when given an opportunity. Such is the risk inherent when we are allowed to make choices.

12. Datura surrender to nothing Registered Senior Member

Who's "they"?

It can't become like alcohol. It is not addictive and doesn't cause disease.

13. Spud Registered Member

Cosmictraveler,

Are you calling me ignorant because I get drunk every once in a while? I know what moderation means, but I also know that it is nice to go out and have a fun drunken night evey so often (for me personally anyway). I moderate myself by not getting drunk too often. But when I do get drunk, oh yeah, I'm pretty drunk. I don't drive drunk though, and from your post it seems you are saying that getting drunk implies driving drunk (sorry if I misread that, I've had a couple tonight).

Onto pot...
    Pot is not nearly as bad as alcohol from my experiences. I had a buddy who was a serious alcoholic and he had a very hard time quitting. He got very ill when he DIDN'T drink because his body was so used to the alcohol. He quit smoking pot two years later and had no problem doing that at all. As far as both dangers and addiction go, alcohol is much worse. Why alcohol isn't illegal and pot is legal is way beyond me.

14. c20H25N3o Shiny Heart of a Shiny Child Registered Senior Member

Why alcohol isn't illegal and pot is legal is way beyond me.

Prohibition doesn't work. Cultivation or possesion of pot (i dont advocate dealing) is the greatest example of a 'victimless crime' that I can think of.

There is no justification for putting people in prison because they own a plant.

Total madness.

c20

Last edited: Oct 15, 2005
  15. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Absolutely not.
    Do you think it is? if so, why?

16. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

cosmictraveler,
    I would like to second the sentiment that there is a DRASTIC difference between drinking and driving impaired.
    The fact that some can handle responsibility does not mean that all should be treated as irresponsible children.

17. George Wildman Registered Senior Member

not the single biggest, definately not, dont drink too much of it though you'll get dizzy and vomit

18. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Alcohol should come with a warning label that says:
    """
    Warning: Drinking alcohol is hazardous to your health. It can kill you and lead you to kill others.
    """

I might also be deterred by pictures of drunks and hobos alongside the written warning.

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Alcohol is a bigger problem in nations like the U.S. where it's a big taboo for children. Most of us don't get to try it until we're in late adolescence, when our hormones are raging and we're desperate to be cool, and we have to do it in secret with no adults around. As a result we get off to a bad start. Alcohol becomes this special rite of passage, you are expected to drink as much as you can hold and then you get to do absolutely insane things that you wouldn't normally.

In many other countries kids are given small glasses of wine when they're twelve, and allowed to drink a little bit more as they get older. All in the company of the ELDERS of their family and community. They can see how much responsible people drink and how they behave afterward.

You don't see nearly as many of the problems we have in those countries. Alcoholism, drunk driving, stupid drunken behavior. It's there, just not as prevalent.

Prohibition NEVER works! Not for adults and not for children.

As for pot, I lived through the great Drug Revolution of the 1960s. No one will ever convince me that marijuana is as bad for people as alcohol. It is less addictive, it is less damaging to the body, it is self-limiting (it's hard to stay stoned for more than about six hours, if you keep having more you just fall asleep), and the behavior its influence tends to cause is more benign.

Moreover, widespread anecdotal evidence suggests that marijuana can in many cases block the withdrawal symptoms of other drugs. The drunk who wakes up with a head-splitting hangover and needs a drink to survive the morning can instead have some pot and find the symptoms just as easily dispelled. By a drug that won't leave him wanting more the next day.

In my observation the worst thing that marijuana does it make its devotees feel less like spending money. The only things they want to buy are CDs and food. If marijuana became more popular it might destroy our consumer culture and a lot of corporations would go bankrupt. In addition to competing with the liquor industry, I think the reasons for marijuana prohibition have nothing to do with morality or health.

Of course smoking anything is bad for you. All the aging hippies learned to get their pot in some other form years ago. Baking, butter, tea, infusion, smokeless vaporization... the new technologies are endless.

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

"They" are those wanting to make a monitary gain by selling pot to everyone. They will be the ones owning the farms and selling it to the general public.

It can become as widespread used as alcohol is once it is legalized for it will be dispensed everywhere like cigarettes are today, only cheaper at first.

Pot can cause cancer for whenever you inhale any smoke it contains particles that will advers;y affect your lungs over time. Although its not as bad as cigarettes it will cause lung problems over time then we will be treating those that come down with diseases in the future. It is habbit forming and with certain additives it can become addicting. Just like cigarettes they will add chenicles to add a flavor or other enhancement that will lead to a much more addictive joint than just a regular one.

Cigarettes weren't thought to be harmful at first either remember? Then people started to DIE from cancer and then they found the leading cause of lung cancer was cigarettes. So what are we going to do, let another drug onto the market only to find in a few years that it does something bad to people? You know they will put additives into pot so who's going to know what those additives are going to do? I'd rather keep from legalizing pot but decriminalize it so that peoples lives aren't ruined by using it, just not selling it for selling or possing more than an ounce would be a felony but less a misdemenor.

21. c20H25N3o Shiny Heart of a Shiny Child Registered Senior Member

How can their be any justification to prevent a man from growing a plant?

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Once your stoned, your stoned. Both will impare your judgement and reflexes so you are saying one is not as bad as the other, well I beg to differ with you and so will hospitals. Many people are found to cause accidents by just pot smoking and are found guilty for driving under the influence. So before you think that there's no impairment in your driving, please don't drive stoned when I'm around or get caught while your driving stoned for you will be arresred for DUI.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2005
  23. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

DROOOOL! :m: