Alan Turing and the German Enigma machine

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by Alan McDougall, Jul 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan McDougall Alan McDougall Registered Senior Member

Wikipedia

Naval Enigma
    Alan Turing

Statue of Turing by Stephen Kettle at Bletchley Park, commissioned by the American philanthropist Sidney E Frank.[31]
    Turing decided to tackle the particularly difficult problem of German naval Enigma "because no one else was doing anything about it and I could have it to myself".[32] In December 1939,

Turing solved the essential part of the naval indicator system, which was more complex than the indicator systems used by the other services.[32][33] The same night that he solved the naval indicator system, he conceived the idea of Banburismus, a Bayesian statistical technique to assist in breaking naval Enigma, "though I was not sure that it would work in practice, and was not in fact sure until some days had actually broken".[32] Banburismus could rule out certain orders of the Enigma rotors, reducing time needed to test settings on the bombes.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

And the point would be...?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Alan McDougall Alan McDougall Registered Senior Member

To discuss this remarkable man and his work on the Enigma machine, which helped the British and American war effort during the second world war

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I see. Don't you think some comment of your own would have been helpful?
    And you post it this section because..?
    Note that Intelligence and Machines is for "AI, robotics, computational neuroscience, brain emulation, cognition systems", i.e. machine intelligence.

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

"No man is an island", Turing didn't work alone, yes he gets credit as he should but it's not his alone. A lot of men and women put in the man hours to put together the machine used and check it's outputs, of course they tend to be the "unsung heroes".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.