AI "middleware" language?

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by one_raven, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

This mat sound silly.
    Or maybe it has been thought of and someone is working towards it.

Anyway...
    The other day I was thinking about communication with an AI device.
    One of the biggest problems I see is language structure.
    English, in particular, since it my native language.

Latin, however, or a similar language seems very structured and reliant on steadfast rules (I could be wrong, since I don't speak Latin) without exceptions or subjective interpretation.

If we create a language (or simply use Latin or another existing language) that strictly follows rules of verb conjugation, sentence structure, inflection of nouns etc. we could have a logical base language that could sit between the user and the interface as a form of "middleware" language.

Then, once the language is fully built, simply build "foreign" language interpreters to sit in front of it.

Is this making sense to anyone but me?
    I don't feel like I am expressing my thoughts on this very well.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. G71 AI Coder Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. G71 AI Coder Registered Senior Member

one_raven: Check this out. The Webmind team reportedly developed a code which converts regular English to the KNOW (Knowledge Representation Language of Webmind). I have the latest (newer) version (ver. 2) of the "KNOW Specification" document, but it's not online at this point. I agree that this is something very important. It has often a major impact on how is the system's database designed (=key thing). I'm trying to design a communication module for my own AGI system and the KNOW specifications helped me a bit. I'm still working mainly on the theory. For now, I do not have a good idea how to convert regular English text into that AI-friendly language. I'm still learning English myself ;-)), but the conversion is definitely a pretty tricky thing. I'm REALLY curious how well it's handled by the Webmind's code. My system is gonna be a bit simpler. I'm not planning to work with regular English sentences on the input side (+ no emotions when thinking). It's gonna be English (I/O) but the communication is kind of Menu/Form based, which means the system cannot simply browse the full-of-garbage-Internet and learn from it, however, the system should know FOR SURE what is the user talking about.. It's just tricky for me to find a good balance between User-friendly and AI-friendly communication formats.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2003
  8. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

I don't think you're gonna get "true AI" as in a sentient being without the ability to abstract its experience into concepts which can be developed over time. If you can get a sentient being it could learn the concepts of the english language and you'd be fine.

Hmm.. can you have "intelligence" without being self-aware?

9. G71 AI Coder Registered Senior Member

wesmorris:
    this IMHO can be done even when the AI app is usig just text I/O.
    Too complicated (at least for me).. Requires lots of resources I currently do not have (and maybe no one has).
    Yes, but it's not a big problem to make an AI system self-aware.

10. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Please elaborate.

11. G71 AI Coder Registered Senior Member

wesmorris: Let's discuss this in the "Intelligence and Awareness" thread. See the link I posted there. You will find my definition of self-awareness which may give you an idea how to implement it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.