AI? Dead end?

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by wesmorris, Nov 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

"No. Working definitions: Will = system's ability to choose and control its own actions. Consciousness = the quality of being aware especially of something within oneself"

Close enough for now, but the point I'm trying to make is that "being aware of something withing oneself" must necessarily include some form of "capacity to choose and control actions", as the first condition gives rise to the second.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. G71 AI Coder Registered Senior Member

Let's say we have a toy robot. He has 2 legs and a button. The legs can be easily detached / attached. When you press the button, the robot correctly answers question "Do you have both legs?" using code like: If Have_Leg1=True and Have_Leg2=True then Say("YES") else Say("NO"). Does he have the consciousness (as defined) and the will (as defined)?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

Nope; the robot would not be self aware simply because it answered correctly "I have no legs".

It might be self aware however if it spontaneously replied "Eeh; I'm absolutely legless"

although most people who say that in Yorkshire are trying their best to decrease their self-awareness with alcohol.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.