AI Chip and the Child?

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by Rick, Jun 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Valued Senior Member

Consider a Hypothetical scenario whereby:

A child when born is implanted with a chip of size of say a wristwatch containing holographic memory and a complete links and weighting system of nodes(input nodes) of Neural Networks waiting to learn inside it.Consider that if chip learn via the experiences of child and how child reacts to those experiences and how over a period of time learns along with the child what child learns,will the chip at the end of life exhibit truely an AI? will the chip be our own Silicon version which behaves initially the way we do and learn from its experiences as we do...?
    Is it possible then that the chip would be truely intelligent in Turings test?
    and will that chip satisfy the Chineese Room Argument?

bye!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

Would the chip be able to configure itself the way a human can? When we learn shit in our brains physicaly changes in a pretty substantial way. Does a solid state chip do that? I don't understand if you are posing a philosophical question or technical one. I'm not sure I understand you completely. I don't think a "chip" could emulate a human mind, It would take software. But maybe I'm just over disecting your post... Its probably prudent to mention that Its 1:13am and I think I have a fever.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rick Valued Senior Member

The chip suppose has an inbuilt S/W that has capability to change the weights...

And take a Paracetamol and go to bed...Enough of Science Forums!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I think an interesting thing to look at in conjunction to this analogy would be that of How humans interact with their environment (which is preportion of most cybernetic studies). In one particular case, a scientist was studying the effects of homogenizaton on a chimpanzee in regards to his infant daught. He treated them similarly to see if the chimp could become more "human", however the experiment took a turn when his daughter became apparently slow with language, since she was spending so much time with the chimp she was becoming slightly like the chimp.

With this he pulled his experiment because of the fears of the consequences of continuing. (Interpretted from a story on Channel4's "Wild Child" documentary in the UK last year)

I'm not suggesting the child would turn chimplike, but the suggestion is that having a child being aparty to the sculpturing of an intelligence system based upon it's own throughput is likely to generate a more than startrekified Vulcan effect. Perhaps the child could become accutely accurate with numeric processes, or have an increase mnemonic system however what inpact to normality would the systems being applied have to the normal growth of a youngster through childhood. Especially a system that could potentially be out of date as soon as it's implanted.

8. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

This is pretty much science fiction, but interesting as a thought experiment.

One way to acheive this would be to monitor every neuron and synapse in the brain of the child using (as-yet uninvented) nanomachines; these tiny probes could read the mind state of the child, and if required read it out into a recording substrate. The theory is that the data obtained from these tiny probes would be sufficient to emulate that child's brain and whatever it uses instead of an operating system; teating this operating program as just another computer to be emulated would allow a copy of the child's mindto run in the computer itself.

Whether this is feasible or not no-body knows, yet; for the purposes of Science fiction we at Orion's Arm assume it is possible, but it may not be as easy as simple copying.

----------
    The other way may occur sooner in the future of psychoengineering; a Direct Neural Interface, a chip if you like, may be available in the next few decades to effect an interface between the nervous system and external media. It seems very likely that the breakthoughs in this area may first be made to allow severely disabled people to communicate and control their environment.

One an alphanumeric interface is established between trhe human nervous system and a computer, the possibility exists that the actual conscious thoughts of a human could be detected and recorded.
    Imagine that a child grows up using such a direct neural interface (DNI), continually learning to use it with more fluency; the chip may also train the mind itself to use the interface naturally (like riding a bike).
    It may be possible to produce an emulation of the child's mind using the accumulated traffic back and forth between the developing human and the computers she operates; but I don't think this would be the great breakthrough that allows us to produce a true artificial intelligence.

However if we do achieve true AI at some point, this information could be very useful in the study of human/computer interactions; furthermore I have a gut feeling that a pretty good emulation of a complete human mentality could be obtained through the DNI alone, without using the full upload option described at the top of this post.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.