Aging and white hair

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by HawkI, Oct 20, 2015.

1. HawkI Registered Senior Member

Hello forum, I read somewhere that people have white hair if the black eumelanin is present and the brown eumelanin is not present in hair. I would like to know why the brown eumelanin disappears as people get older.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. timojin Valued Senior Member

I assume there is melanin black pigment . As melanin concentration is reduced the color gets from black to brown and so on and eventually with no melanin present it becomes colorless, but since the hair fiber have flakes on the surface it reflect the light and becomes white .

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Because either melanocytes don't function as well as before and produce less melanin, or melanocytes themselves die off and are not replaced.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. timojin Valued Senior Member

O mentioned about black hair . But what type of pigment have the people with red hair . ( apparently there must be an other pigment beside black )

8. sculptor Valued Senior Member

I had read that we produce hydrogen peroxide next to hair follicles, and, as we age, this takes over as we produce less pigment.
    Akin to leaves reverting to their natural color absent chlorophyll?

9. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Even if we were producing the same amount of pigment, the hydrogen peroxide would turn the hair white anyway! So which is it, we produce peroxide or we produce less pigment? The production of less pigment would be enough on its own to explain it right?

10. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Sorry----I posted all that I know or remember of the article and subject.
    The article did claim that we produce ho constantly.
    I would hazard a speculation that producing more ho or less pigment would have similar effects...........(justaguess)