Affairs With Pupils - Why Not?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Cellar_Door, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Nasor Valued Senior Member

As was already pointed out, if a teacher is willing accept bribes for better grades then they are clearly already willing to violate school policy. If they're not concerned about violating the policy on accepting bribes, what makes you think they'll care about the policy on not sleeping with students?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phlogistician Banned Banned

What a simplistic view. It must be great to be you.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

that didn't really answer his question though

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phlogistician Banned Banned

DUH! The fact that some people break rules, is not a reason to abandon rules altogether?

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

orleander its blood ovious (which is why i didnt bother to comment), the rules are a) a guideline for lectures and teachers but more importantly b) by putting that into an employment contract it alows action to be taken against them if they breach the rules.

For instance if someone at work hooked up with someone else there and the company decided to fire them because of it, that would be unfair dismissal (and there for illegal) because its not in our award.

9. kmguru Staff Member

Would this ethics also apply in a private teaching scenario where all are adults? Like physcical therapy, yoga, math, science, computer skills etc.?

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

depends, i doubt anyone would critise someone screwing the adult workplace teacher sleeping with someone who was a student in the workplaces training course as an example. At st johns our training officer's partner is also a st johns member and no one would critise that (especially as the relationship preceds him becoming training officer)

11. swarm Registered Senior Member

Colorado recently had its supreme court re-affim 12. There is another state which allows twelve but its not leaping to mind, Mass. does 13, a number of them do younger with judicial review. I've posted the list before. Any place which follows the old English common law can go as low as twelve. Sharia law can go as young as 9.

In the US, if you are married you have a right to have sex with each other no matter what your age is, that's what the Colorado case was about. As long as you get married first you can go pretty low age wise and still be legal, but not one second before married as some engaged couples have found out.

when talking about jail that is what counts.

Look all you like but don't touch.

http://www.chiroeco.com/news/chiropractic-news.php?id=2731

So what?

12. swarm Registered Senior Member

A lot of grading is very subjective.

13. phlogistician Banned Banned

It hardly matters if you go take an adult education class, and start shagging your Spanish instructor. There, you are only cheating yourself if you get better grades than you should.

But in competitive education, where grades count for University places, qualifications and job references, there is a difference.

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

what??? Is English your first language?

15. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

People can reason with their emotions. In fact, they do it all the time. Let people be.

No, YOU are naive. The outcome of such a rule just gives employers an unnecessary right to tell people what to do. I believe in our freedoms and preserving them. An employer has no right to tell you how to manage your love life.

I took a class with my mom in it, should that be illegal too?

I once got a government job because my dad knew my boss, should that be illegal too?

Fact of the matter is, your boss is still getting into parts of your life he should not be getting into. IF the student is an adult, leave them be.

People need to be responsible for themselves. I dont need a seat belt law to tell me to wear a seat belt.
    -------

Keep in mind, there are plenty of problems with the educational system today. This is NOT one of them. The entire system is slow expensive and innefective, money shortages, horrible teachers, cheating, bad students getting accepted and passed just for donating money, bad students passing just because the school does not want to lose money.

And here we are arguing about teacher/student relationships.... Like there aren't any other ways for people to cheat their grades if they want to.

Such cases are rare and irrelevant, in fact, they are so minute that I would prefer them not to be cared about, because as much as I agree with you that a student should not date a teacher, its not right for people to just tell you how to handle your love life.

16. swarm Registered Senior Member

That there are occasions when something didn't go as bad as it could, that does not mean it is a good idea.

These are issues that have been with us for as long as there has been positions of power and the perils are so hard to avoid that we've got a fancy word for it: nepotism.

17. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

Please read my previous posts - this question has already been answered.

18. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

I think that's more of a case to case matter..isn't it? I personally don't think that a 16 year old can match wits with a +25 year old especially if the older individual is in a disciplinarian position. Of course there are some exceptions but regardless of that there's still the difference in experience. And as have many before me already mentioned; power abuse could become an issue, whether in favour or against the student.

But the fact that a teacher could fall in love or engage in a sexual relationship with one of his/her students isn't a biggie from a moral perspective as long as it's consensual and both parties are fully aware of what they're doing. In spite of this, I wouldn't make it legal though. If teachers started to kiss and hug students at school it would distort their authoritarian position in a negative sense...

19. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

But it isn't law is it? It's just against company policy so to speak. It isn't illegal for me to wear a bikini and combat boots to work, but an employer might find my attire and/or behavior has a negative impact on clients. If I'm in a professional setting clients might feel disrepected if I dress however I want. So there is protocol and rules are rules. If I want to wear bikinis to work I need to find a place that allows it. No matter how stupid you agree to the rules when you start working there. If you like to mess around with 18 year olds no one is telling you can't on your own time. Bring your intimate relationship to work (which almost all teachers do) and you're violating policy.

20. Nasor Valued Senior Member

There are states in the US where, for example, it's legal for a 23 year old to have sex with a 17 year old, unless the 23 year old is the 17 year old's teacher.

21. swarm Registered Senior Member

So?