Advanced Vocabulary Test

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by Captain Kremmen, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I got 2 wrong, one of which was carelessness on my part and the other I think could be disputed. But one always gets a few of such things with multiple choice.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Two that I saw were wrong, and two more a little ambiguous.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Probably the latter. There are a lot of idioms that a foreigner might not have learned yet, even if his grammar and pronunciation are perfect.

It appears to have been created in the U.K. Most Americans would not recognize several of those idioms. Not to mention that one Gaelic word from Ireland, Scotland or Wales!

I missed one and I also disagree. See spoiler.
    I missed one: hand. And I also disagree. "Overhand" is a perfectly common term in sports: an overhand pitch in baseball, an overhand stroke in tennis, an overhand shot in basketball. It's also used in sewing, although I did not know this: a stitch that connects two edges. According to the dictionary, it can even be used in everyday language: to pick up your fork with your hand over the handle instead of using proper etiquette and lifting it more daintily is to grasp it overhand.

I doubt very much that these are strictly Americanisms, especially the non-sports definitions. I'd call it an error in the test.

8. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Yes, on that question there are no wrong answers.
    Swizz!

The other two were
    "I thought the job wouldn't take long............It took two days"
    I said the missing words were "You live and learn".
    "Famous last words" would only be right if the sentence began "I said the job wouldn't take long"
    It has to be a statement which is quickly shown to be mistaken, not a thought.

The last one I got wrong was "What do you take me for?" means "I don't believe you".
    I put the one about taking it with a pinch of salt.
    The correct answer is probably better grammar.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013