Acquired Manifestations

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Kumar, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Hello all,

I have some basic questions:

Some manifestations of diseases, immunities/resistances OR other charcters can be acquired by anyone during his current life time by the body cells. Some old cells will die or replaced by new cells. Those new cells can also be effected by these manifestations. Eg; Insulin resistance in old cells also continue in new cells. Now my questions are:-

1. How the cells can acquire these manifestations?

2. How these manifestation can be passed on to new cells of similar types & with similar functions?

3. Why these manifestations not got corrected or diminished in newly produced similar cells?

4. If & how these manifestations can be passed to next generation of the person?

5. If this acquired manifestations can be corrected or removed during his current life time?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2003
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

2. The manifestations as you call them are passed on to other cells, because the cell in which the change occurs divides. These cell are exact replicas of the original.

4. They can't.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ice Registered Member

Hey Kumar,

What you are talking about is somatic cell mutations. During your lifetime your somatic (body) cells can acquire mutations which change how they behave. These changes can be brought about by various types of factors, such as mistranslation, or can be caused by mutagens (like UV light or something). These mutations can change the cell’s phenotype only if they are not picked up and fixed by the cell. This may result in things like cancer, or some other type of phenotypic change, depending on the mutation. The mutations could be in the genes themselves, or on some of the factors within the cell which are responsible for the control of these genes. When a gene becomes expressed more or less frequently, it can have major changes on how the cell acts. For example it could be possible through mutation to have a cell start to produce factors which cause it to not perform the functions it should, and perhaps perform functions characteristic of other cells.

These mutations will be passed on only to the cells which are produced directly from this cell dividing. If there is a change in the genotype of the cell, that mutation will be sent on to all of the cells it produces, and all of the cells they produce and so on. Seeing as this mutation occurs in somatic cells, it will not be passed on to the offspring of the person whose cells were mutated. Let’s say for example one of your skin cells undergoes a mutation which causes it to behave more like a cell which makes it cancerous. Any cells which this cell divides to produce will be cancerous as well, however there are millions of other skin cells which will produce normal skin cells. Also if this person has a baby, the baby won’t have cancerous skin cells as a result.

Most of the time when your cells undergo mutations, the DNA polymerase picks up these mutations as it synthesizes the new strands of DNA, and it fixes them so they aren’t passed on to the resulting cells. Sometimes however, the DNA polymerase, and any other fixing mechanisms the cell has, miss a mutation, and they are carried on to the offspring. This can happen more frequently if there are a large amount of mutations, there is too much to fix, and not all of the mutations are fixed before cell division occurs. This often results in mutations in the somatic cells, which will be carried on.

I hope this helps you out! IF you don’t understand what I am saying, let me know, and I will explain further!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Thanks idle mind for the reply.

Hello Ice,

Thanks for detailed explainations. You mean to say that;

Some somatic cell mutations can take place during one's lifetime effected by various types of factors. These mutations can be temporary pheno type, fixed(cancer)pheno type and permanent(genetic)genotype. Both Phenotype mutations will be passed on only to the cells which are produced directly from this cell dividing (if only one next generation ?). Genotype mutations/changes in the genotype of the cell will be sent on to all of the cells it produces, and all of the cells they produce and so on(if all generations of cells?). But these mutations will not be passed on to next generation of the person.

Most of the time DNA can pickup & fix these mutations but can miss some mutations, if too many mutations or otherwise. These missed mutations can be carried on to the offspring
    ( if of cells or of person ?).

If I am correct. Please also explain some questions mentioned in brackets). I think your explaination awnsers my first four questions. Now the fifth question; If this acquired manifestations(mutations) can be corrected or removed during one's current life time(by any medical or other means)?

Now one more thing, when the cells only divide, how we treat some cells die & some equal borns?

8. Ice Registered Member

Hey Kumar,

That is not what I meant. ANY mutation in somatic cells is NOT passed onto the offspring. ONLY mutations in the sperm or egg, are passed onto the offspring. Anything that happens to your body cells through out your life, will not be carried on to the offspring. Sorry for the confusion.

Now for your last question, think about cancer, how do we get rid of cancer ? There are ways that we can kill those cells right ? I think that the only way to get rid of these mutations is to kill the cells that posses them, or remove them. I am not exactly sure if I am right on this, but as far as I can see, those would be the only ways to get rid of them. I suppose if the mutation was to a gene that produces a certain product, we can get rid of the problem associated with that mutation, by simply adding the product that could no longer be produced.

I am sorry, I do not really understand your last question, so please specify.

9. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Hello Ice,

Thanks for explaining. My lasy question is that if we don't have any medicine or other mean by which we can remove all these manifestations in current life ony.

Reg: cancer, killing them is the only alternative we are exploring now. But these are our own body cells which just become mad. We should also aim at to correct them in anyway. Btw I want to know one important thing:

When we see diseased cells/or other body substances under the microscope, is it possible that we may not be able to see some substances which are transparent in nature like mica?

10. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

This is ridiculously simplified, and is neither accurate nor useful in any way for explaining how cancer works. The only way we can repair the cells would be to fix the DNA, which is not really practical. So destroying the cells, which are now malfunctional, is the only way thus far.

Mica, if present in cells at all (I haven't looked into it) wouldn't be in pure form. It would be used as a structural molecule to reinforce proteins (as part of the protein). We would see the protein.

11. Kumar Registered Senior Member

But do you feel Mica can be present but can't be seen directly under the microscope. Instead of mica you can also think of Calcium Fluoride, Silica or their bye produce. Actually I am finding some links of three tissue salts with cancer. Those are Cal.Fluoride, Potassium Sulphate & Silica. I think these are only studied as a foreign or inert substances not as a organic part. It looks in molecular doses these may have some curing effect. I read somewhere that when some tissues are seen under microscope or tested , silica was not found but when reduced to ash silica was found. Can you comment in these consideration.(mica can cause non reactive or inertness).

12. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

That would be homeopathy, so, no.
    Silica is found in tendons and ligaments as a structural aid. It strengthen the proteins it is used with/by, so they can withstand higher tension, and don't break when the skeletal muscles become active and contract. You don't see it because it is part of the protein. However, when you burn organic material, it will be left in the ash because it is non-volatile, and heavy. You will also find other trace elements that exist in our bodies, such as Molybdenum, Zinc, Copper, etc.

13. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Idle Mind. Thanks again. Some important assumption.

Just assume like that. Silica is the part of protien. It may be present as mica/transparent material in protiens in some limited quantity. Its limited quantity changes due to cancer effect means become excess. Mica has insulating effect making cells to become non reactive & inert. This causes one kind of suffocating effect to cells being deprived from body natural signals leading to changes in their DNA in long term. We may had seen everything but not this mica under microscope which may be a reason of not knowing the real cause. This can be possible in all pathogens as bacteria etc. who may also acquire this non reactive/inert power to survive in adverse conditions. Pot.Sulphate seems to have property to remove this excess mica & Cal.Fluoride of destroying this excess mica.

Will you please think deeply & comment on this story.

14. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

Okay, Kumar. I am going to go through this point by point, although I am starting to think I am wasting my breath here (late bloomer):
    There is nothing that is invisible/transparent with the type of microscopy used for this work.
    This comes out of left field, although I have seen you say it before. I have no idea what has led you to this conclusion.
    There are no minerals that coat the cell so that it becomes suffocated and mutates the DNA...
    These are stable ionic compounds, what makes you think that they will react with a mineral in such a way?

What it comes down to Kumar, is that there really is no biological basis for what you are claiming. I urge you to think about this deeply, and perhaps read a biology textbook or two to gain perspective.

15. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Idle Mind,

Thanks for the reply. I will recheck all these things. Actually, I suspect everything in unsolved issues which can be or can not be in accordance with the current studies. I haven't found any referance to this effect as yet.

I mentioned three bio-chemical. They are strongly recommended in one system for cancer. I am just trying to link these chemicals with the science reasonings.