acidosis or alkalosis

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by sue.911, May 26, 2008.

1. sue.911 Registered Member

hi.

could anyone here give me an example, in the body, explaining the relationship between pH and hydrogen concentration and how this may cause acidosis or alkalosis?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Forceman May the force be with you Registered Senior Member

The Hydronium ion concentration method is what where the pH solving equation derives from. Hydronium(H3O) has acidic properties and is the most basic form of acids, which is why Hydronium is used as a constant in finding the pH level of other more complex acids. (All acids are composed of hydrogen) The more vigorous the reaction with hydrogen increases the acid's strength.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

bicarbonate is the main buffer in the body. It's the "blood buffer".

H2O+CO2 <--->H+ -O-CO-OH

so as you blow off CO2 from your lungs you remove H+ from the blood therefor lower blood pH. (actually the kidneys mainly control blood pH but I like this simple example

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Michael,

I think it the reverse the the lower blood CO2 gets the more alkaline the blood gets (pH goes up), will the more CO2 and thus more carbonic acid the more acidic.

8. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Isn't that what I wrote? As you remove CO2 the equation shifts to make more CO2 from bicarb and thus removes H ions as H2O. So the pH of the blood should shift up (as the H is removed from the blood). Thats one of the reason why we breath deeply after a run, to get rid of the CO2 made in KREBS

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Yes I aware of that.

Here let me just correct it:

10. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Michael, did you hear about the study into lower CO2 levels causing frebile siezures becuase of an increase in the babies PH? (because the buffering isnt there to the same exstent in babies)

12. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I didn't know that, but I do know that babies dehydrate very fast and it's really the kidney's that buffer blood pH so I'm not surprised there isn't research into it.

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

This studies preamble was that in hot weather a baby hypoventolates. This drops the CO2 to 0 and the O2 to 100% which causes the PH to rise. Due to the babies smaller fluid levels this translates straight to the CNS and the the blood flowing in to the brain and this causes the frebile siezures