Acid/Pressure Beef Stew???

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Beer w/Straw, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Looking at a an Old Time Beef Stew recipe I noticed Red Wine as one of the ingredients. 'Click' researching I came across: " ...the acid present in the wine eventually helps to break the meat down, making it more tender. Red wine in beef stew also adds depth of flavor..."

I had bought a pressure cooker with 15 psi to unleash Hell on the stupid lentils/beans soaking time and, now have one <12 psi but, meh... And since I can make my own red wine or even distill some whatever and measure the pH level and since I read ethanol has a pH 7.33 which is slightly basic and red wine is said to have a pH of around 3.3 to 3.5 being slightly acidic

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(Aside, has anyone used a hot plate for lack of a Bunsen burner in distillation? )

Anyway, would a pH even matter for tenderness of beef/lentils/rice/... while it's being cooked at say 11 psi?

Would an acid deconstruct some nutritional value?

WTF is the "depth of flavor" added by red wine?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Probably a made up term for a cook making reader's think "this one one knows their stuff"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

Most wines have somewhat complex flavor profiles, and thus add a lot of different flavors (i.e. "depth") to things they are made with. This of course can be good or bad.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

yes