Academic view on Hinduism

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by lightgigantic, Nov 28, 2006.

1. lightgigantic Banned Banned

An audio link to a lecture that traces how hinduism has come to be represented in contemporay academic circles.

it raises further issues about how understandings of hinduism and indian culture are grossly inaccurate

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. UltiTruth In pursuit... Registered Senior Member

I couldn't hear this, but what does it say?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lightgigantic Banned Banned

The speaker is giving an explanation based on an article he submitted

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

He's right about one thing, our early impression of Hinduism (and other foriegn religions) was formed largely on the work of biased missionary scholars.

8. lightgigantic Banned Banned

He also indicates how the bias has been institutionalized within historical dialogues

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think it's possible that all interpretations of ancient texts are inherently biased. Language is dependent on the culture of the time, not everything can be translated to preserve the original meaning.

10. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Your statement seems to be that all views are biased - in other words the only unbiased view is the view that all views ar biased - which raises the question what principles did you apply to come to this conclusion (BTW - I think that you have just made the blunder of making a negative absolutist statement, which are fallacious)