About the Member Round 3: BentheMan

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by Orleander, Dec 29, 2007.

1. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

No. I just thought John Kerry was a complete jackass.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

• Do you fear nothing for being non-anonymous?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

• Can you make sushi and sashimi also? I mean from the scratch.
    • How did you learn cooking?
    thx

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Not really. What should I be scared of? That someone who doesn't like me tracks me down? That seems unlikely. And the people who post here do so from all over the world. The only thing that I do fear is that I say something wrong about physics, and someone who knows me sees it.

No. I usually go out for sushi, but finding really fresh fish is always a problem. I hate old fish.

Trial and error, mostly. The thing is, people are scared to screw up. People follow recipies by getting out measuring cups and tablespoons and stuff---those are just guidelines, especially when talking about spices and herbs and stuff. Use fresh stuff, and don't be scared to screw up---that's my moto

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

What is the most important thing that you have learned in your life?

8. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

If you don't understand something, or can't do something, you have to work harder.

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Is there any kind of animal you wouldn't eat?
    Have you been in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
    Have you ever been through a natural disaster (earthquake, tornado, hurricane)?
    What is your favorite Italian Food? Mexican?
    Can you dive?
    Can you ice skate?

10. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Possums, racoons, coyotes---most small mamals.

I haven't ever been in the Pacific Ocean, but I watched the sun rise over the Atlantic this summer after an all night poker session in Atlantic City.

Texas Coast---I've seen one hurricane (Elisha, cat 3) 1984 or something. I was mostly too young to remember.

I like a good italian sausage. For mexican, I don't know. Probably some sizzling fajitas, or some good, greazy fideo.

Well, I'm not certified, but I do know how to dive.

The only place I like ice is in my whiskey.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

No, not that kind of diving. I meant, face first off a diving board diving. Can you do that?

12. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Oh. No. Well, kind of. Nothing fancy. But if I'm in the water I'd rather be fishing.

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Have you ever slapped a woman?
    Have you ever been attracted to a relative?
    In grade school, did you ever call your teacher Mom?
    What was your favorite Halloween costume? How old were you when you wore it?
    Where is the strangest place you ever had sex (come on, you've had a day to find somewhere!!

)

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Did you go in the Atlantic or did you just look at it??

15. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

No, but I came close. There was this absolute whore at a party one night, who tried to sleep with just about every guy there. I was playing guitar and singing, and she thought it would be funny to pour beer on me. Well, I am very protective of my guitar (Kristen), and when she spilled some on it I was PISSED off. My friends had to hold me back and I verbally assaulted her pretty harshly. She broke down crying, and ran out into the street (she was only wearing panties). Then she got back and appologized to me, and then tried to sleep with me. Ahhh women.

No, not really. But I have a cousin who IS very attractive.

Heh. Yeah.

I dressed as Walter from The Big Lebowski last year. That was pretty awesome.

Sorry. You or Varda or Shorty will have to wait untill my current girlfriend and I break up, then enlighten me

(Sorry to disappoint, but this isn't likely.) Like I said, we must've missed the sexual revolution in Texas. In my truck at the beach (under a full moon), the bathroom at a party, and in my sister's bedroom while my parents slept in the next room...all pretty stock, aparently

16. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I took off my shoes and was in to my knees. It's pretty humbling to think that you could start swimming and not stop till you hit England.

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

she was walking around a drunken party in only panties and STILL couldn't get laid? How bad was she?

18. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

She was actually pretty attractive. She did get close a couple of times, but I have a pretty tight group of friends. After she fucked with me she got shut out.

A good friend of mine and I drove her home (she had been left by her friends) and offered us a threesome. We were like ``Nahhhh''.

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

What is the single most goal of your life?

20. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Raise good kids.

21. original sine Registered Senior Member

- What will you do to raise good kids... what would make them good kids?
    - Did you attend a public school, and if so, were you at or near the top of your class?
    - In any of Reiku's threads, did you ever work with his equations to see if they didn't equal pseudoscience?
    - Any plans for celebrating the first day of 2008?
    - If any of the previous questions were asked or answered, how do you feel about people who post without reading through the entire topic?

Glad to see you brought a towel. Take care.

22. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I have a pretty inexperienced voice, but I think I will teach my kids to play poker. That way I will know how to tell when they are lying to me

I will make sure that they have friends who are not the same color as them, I will make sure that they can play some sort of musical instrument, and I will do everything I can to encourage curiousity.

I went to public school and I was pretty mediocre as a student. I didn't realize that I was good at math until I took calculus---most math classes I took I made C's or B's in untill my senior year in high school...then it made sense. Untill about midway through my senior year, however, I was absolutely convinced that I was going to be a professional tuba player (no shit). I was one of the best in Texas in high school.

Well, let me try to draw a comparisson... Reiku's math was about like Gustav's english. Reiku knew a few key words that made his works sound science-y, but when you broke through the facade to try to probe the actual content of his ideas, you couldn't find any. It's like someone who makes up big words to sound intelligent, and you are fooled until you look for those words in the dictionary and can't find them. Reiku frequently complained to me about nit-picking, which was pretty much anytime I challenged, say, one of his definitions. He expected me to just be wowed into silence by his intelligence, and he could never understand HOW he was wrong.

The absolute biggest problem I had with him, though, was the fact that he didn't really know what he was talking about beyond the catch words. If I would ask questions, eventually it would come to the point where he would say something like ``Well, Stephen Hawking said it so it must be true.'' And I REALLY hate that.

Technically, however, the answer to your question is no, because there were never any equations which actually meant anything.

Well, a friend of mine is having a party (I haven't seen him sense he got back from Iraq two years ago). So I'll pick up a bottle of whiskey and some champagne and tune up the old guitar. My woman will be there, so that will be nice.

Well, I have to admit that I don't normally read threads that are longer than two pages (unless they're VERY interesting) before I post.

Heh. I NEVER forget to bring a towel.

23. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

You said your mom lived in Texas...Have you ever lived here?

...and why do you live in god forsaken Ohio, where the girls put the "Ug" in ugly?

Where do you get your "Redneck" roots?

Can you or your dad score me an "1/8th" for New Years, if I front you the money?...my guy is out of town.