About the Member Round 25: James R

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by Mr. Hamtastic, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

I hope this merging means that James will respond to this truthfully and considerately....

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Yes, I have a sense of humor. I find many things amusing.

You mentioned Monty Python. I like Monty Python, for example. My avatar my also hint at something... Subtle, I know. And my old user title was "Just this guy, you know...", which also tells you something if you recognise the quote.

It is suspected by whom? You?

I can't really answer this until you explain what you mean by "emotionally restricted".

Green.

I wouldn't generalise if I were you.

Context is everything.

Correct.

I don't have a favorite. There are far too many funny things in the world to restrict yourself to just one.

Green.

Everybody has a family.

I have many areas of expertise. Look around the forum and judge some of them for yourself.

Life probably would not be worth living with only one freedom.

As a general proposition, I like animals. Some individual animals I don't like; other individuals I like a lot. I have a particular soft spot for the animals I personally care for. No surprises there.

Lots of things.

There are lots of things I fear, but fears don't really dominate my life.

I don't have a favorite food. I like having different kinds of foods. I like variety. To mention two things at random, I like spicy foods and Pavlova (though not at the same time).

Yes, I have, but not as an adult.

For example, in about the first grade I had a playground fight with another boy at school. Later on, we became good friends.

Yes.

I don't think I've ever felt that way. The only physical violence I have ever been involved in has been in self defence or defence of friends. And even then, very very rarely.

I'd prefer not to say.

One long brush of about 5 years duration. But not in the way you think.

Well, put it this way - I probably wouldn't stand out in a crowd, most of the time. Normal stuff.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

You seem to hold us at arms length, James... Why?

Do you have a wife/girlfriend? Do you have a boyfriend/husband? Do you have children? If so, how old are the children? Do you have any educational certificates? In what?

Emotionally restricted means standoffish and stoic...

Were you a member of law enforcement? A law maker? A lawyer?

What is your favorite Monty Python sketch?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Music-do you have a preferred type of music? A preferred artist?

Food-Do you like italian food?

Freedom-What freedoms would you take up arms to defend?

8. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

I recognise the dog, but not the quote... I haven't seen it in awhile, so can't place it.

Do you like spongebob? Jeff Foxworthy? Chris Rock?

9. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

James has done a spectacular job of answering every single question that Ham has asked, without divulging any personal information.

That's talent.

10. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

Indeed it is.

Your avatar is from Wallace and Grommit, correct?

Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy?

11. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

That's it! Wallace and Grommit! Kids watch it when it's on, which isn't often.

12. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

All hail James R.

13. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Hi James,

do you like to play chess?
    what are your favorite books?
    what are five things you like the most?
    what are five things you hate the most?
    what do you like and dislike about Australia?
    if you can move to any other country, where do you wanna live?
    are you a democrat, conservative, or other?
    are you a theist, atheist, or other?
    can you cook? what can you cook best?

Danke!

p.s.: and oh, Mr. Hamtastic, thanks for resurrecting this thread

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

I couldn't figure out why it died, inzomnia...

15. tim840 Registered Senior Member

yeah... i kept waiting for another About the Members, but it never came. Its supposed to be, the person it was about chooses the next person, right?

16. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

I think so

17. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

You can put up this one of me if you wish.
    http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2030511&postcount=1097

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Heh you look like my neighbor.

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

A couple of reasons. One being that as a moderator/administrator, you're always a potential target. People, especially disgruntled ex-members of sciforums with an axe to grind and personality problems, can use personal information as a weapon in various ways.

I prefer to keep my internet life largely separate from my "real" life.

Also, things you post on the internet may come back and bite you later on in your career. Or you may simply be ashamed of some things you said. So, I try to make sure that I won't be ashamed of anything I post on sciforums, or regret posting them in the future - even years in the future.

One of those, yes.

Not telling.

Let's put it this way: I have had an excellent tertiary education.

Not saying.

Hmm... that's very very difficult. My favorite Python films would be the Holy Grail and the Life of Brian, but I like a lot of their TV stuff too. I have a box set of the "best of" the TV sketches, as well as the complete scripts of the Flying Circus series. There's a lot of great stuff there, mixed in with some stuff that doesn't work so well.

I play piano, so I lean towards anything with piano. But I like to think I have fairly eclectic tastes in music. I like some classical, some jazz, some popular music ...

People who write for piano, generally - classical, pop, jazz or whatever.

Yup.

Difficult to say. Hopefully I will not personally need to do that in my lifetime.

The dog is Gromit, from the Wallace and Gromit films. The quote is from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I don't know anything about spongebob other than he exists and vaguely what he is. I don't know who Jeff Foxworthy is. I have only seen the odd snippet of Chris Rock, and don't have any particular opinion about him.

That photo is over ten years out of date.

Sometimes, but I'm not very good at it. I would like to learn more about it. I am gradually working my way through a book written by an English Grand Master, which is hopefully helping.

Too many to name. I'm a voracious reader.

I have never thought to rank things in that way.

Australia is a massive country with a great natural heritage. Our society (especially where I live) is a multi-cultural one that values equality and tolerance. We are more community-minded than some other western nations, though not as community-minded as I'd like us to be. Australia, on the whole, doesn't have massive social inequalities like the US, or a class system like the UK, although our indigenous people still do not fare well.

Where I live it is temperate, with no great extremes of hot or cold. It doesn't snow in the winter, and there are only a few days over 40 Celcius in any given summer. My area is largely free of natural disasters (cyclones, earthquakes, etc.), although that is not true for Australia as a whole. (The entire continent is, after all, about the same size as the United States.)

Our education system is excellent compared with the rest of the world, despite constant gripes about it. Our government, on the whole, strikes a good balance between supporting those most in need while also promoting individual freedoms.

Australians prize an identity that is unique. We compare ourselves to our close philosophical allies such as America and Britain, and pride ourselves that we have not made all the same mistakes that those nations have made - which is not to say that Australia is perfect or faultless.

I like that we have a stable democracy and a nation that has a high moral standing in the world (on most issues). We are safe and secure. We don't have the same level of fear that many Americans seem to have. Australians tend to be optimistic and friendly.

I think it would be easier for me to live in an English-speaking country if I had to move. I think it could be very interesting to live in the US for a while, but I would like to be able to choose the location.

I lived overseas for a while when I was younger.

If I was an American, I'd be a Democrat through and through. There'd be no question about it - the choice would be automatic. But then, in a recent poll of Australians, 75% would have voted for Obama.

In my own country, the two major political parties are currently much closer in philosophy (though things have not always been that way). I have in the past voted for both of our major parties. I have been known to support different parties at the state level than at the federal level.

I would describe myself as clearly "liberal" rather than "conservative".

I prefer not to say, since such labels tend to result in people putting you in a box. It's not too hard to guess from my posts, though, that I am not a fundamentalist theist.

I can and do cook, but I have a relatively limited repetoire. I'll never be a chef, put it that way.

20. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Maybe the last person on the chain forgot to pass it to the next member

Btw, somehow I remember that mrow also got this thread (mrow Q&A), more recent than Oli (the Round 24), but hers is not on the series. I'll look for her thread later and would ask mod to incorporate it into the series if possible.

I have uploaded it into the album just now. Are you SAM's neighbour?

Cool!

I hope one day we can play online, but I am just a beginner. I haven't take time to learn further.

Sounds like a nice place to live. Too bad there is no snow, I like snow

About the education system part, I also notice it. Sciforums Australian fellows are very intelligent ^^ (you, Bells, dr Lou, Asguard, Spud, Challenger, etc).

Ok. Thanks for taking time to write the response, James

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  21. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

James.
    What Uni did you go to ?
    If you didn't go to one, Or don't want to answer,
    What weather do you like best ?
    What degree did you do ?

22. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

I have always wonder about this, but pls feel free to skip this question. James, is James your real first name?
    Do you watch football? If so, which league do you watch and which one is your favorite team?
    What kind of place do you enjoy to travel to? (e.g. big city, mountain with lake, etc).
    Have you ever been in Indonesia? Do you like the place?
    Have you ever been in Germany? Do you like the place?

Thanks!

23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Well, no snow where I live (or maybe a little snow about one day every year). But I can go skiing in winter if I drive for 3.5 hours or so.

Not telling.

Mild and sunny autumn (fall for the Americans) or spring days.

If I had to choose between heat and cold, I'd choose cold. I kinda like winter.

Not telling, but it's probably not too hard to have a ball-park guess from my posts on sciforums.