About Oliver Sack's patient, one of those with memory problems, and this whole thing

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Buckaroo Banzai, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Buckaroo Banzai Mentat Registered Senior Member

I haven't read the new book of Oliver Sacks, but I was wondering. There's this guy, who is some sort of musician, a conductor, if I recall. He wasn't able to add new lasting memories, his working memory would last only a few minutes. Except for "musical memories", apparently. I'm sure this was the case wit another of his patients, one that used to like Grateful Dead, and I think that this one might already have died.

In any case, did they try to make a system of memorizing new important new facts by making up tiny "jingles" about them?

Funnily enough, this is a memorization I know that some people use, specially students when need to remember something "by heart".

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

don't know about his new book what's it called?
    the greateful dead one is about Greg F. it's in 'An anthropologist on mars', and the chapter is called 'the last hippie'. his problems were caused by a tuma, and he thought that he was still in the 60's (greatful dead was his favourite band)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Buckaroo Banzai Mentat Registered Senior Member

"Musicophilia" is his new book. I haven't read this one yet, but I've listen a few podcasts where he mentions this other patient with this particular problem. Was somewhat different than Greg F. in causes and symptoms, I think. Much more like Drew Barrymore in that movie with Adam Sandler, but with an even shorter memory (almost like one guy on the same movie).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.