Abolish the Infraction System!

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Plazma Inferno!, Nov 1, 2007.

?

Should Infraction System be abolished?

Poll closed Nov 8, 2007.
  1. Yes

49.0%
  2. No

51.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Short version: [ENC]Porfiry[/ENC] founded [ENC]Sciforums[/enc]. Then he sold it for megabucks to [enc]zox[/enc] or somebody. http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=58454.

Prior to that members actually donated to the site to keep it going. Hmmmm, I wonder what effect that has had when that changed.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

If they abolished it how would I indulge in my hobby of collecting them?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, spurious. For instance, this particular thread is about the present infraction system. You have voted that the infraction system should be abolished or (changed?) You have not offered any suggestions as to what governing system should replace it. No moderators or bans or??? I am asking, for both possible member and administration benefit, the specifics of your proposal.

I assume by 'clean ship' and 'start from the top', you are suggesting all present moderators and administrators (including or excluding the owner?) should be replaced. That is only a criticism, as was the rest of your subjective opinions in the post, not a suggestion as to what kind of system would be better. Assuming you think we need moderators, do you believe electing moderators would be better, or do you believe that elections would only serve to place 'popular' and well-known members into positions they may not be qualified to handle well? If you believe the moderators should be appointed, on what basis should they be appointed, such as by 'best qualified' for a particular subforum based on relevant education, or by the owner(s) of the site? If 'best qualified', who decides the best qualified, and how would their educational background be verified? For instance, in the Religion subforum, do you believe both atheist and theist should have a representive moderator, and which religion would theist moderator come from? Or do you think it would be better to have only theist moderators in a religion subforum, one Christian, one Jewish, one Muslim, etc.? Do you believe the owner should be willing to hand over total control of the governing of the site to the members, or do you believe it is a right of the owner to pick moderators who he believes are best qualified?

Spurious, I am not asking for answers to my particular questions one by one, but you have not offered any concrete suggestions as to exactly how sciforums should run that I am aware of.

8. Gustav Banned Banned

spurious

furthermore, i would like to see you back modding bio
    dont stymie if i make an effort to do so

the place is just not right without you

9. Gustav Banned Banned

god
    i would be trembling if inky directed that at me

10. Ripley Valued Senior Member

Why not just work with what you have already, and take it from there. Clean and simple. Why reinvent the wheel? Although the logo could use an update.

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Bear in mind that spuriousmonkey is a disgruntled member who has require continual moderation over the past few months. His complaints about the administration of sciforums are personally biased. I suggest that what he wants is not the good of sciforums, but the good of spuriousmonkey. Essentially, he is saying "Give me what I want, or I'll be an unproductive, disruptive influence here." And so he has been.

12. mountainhare Banned Banned

Typical sciforums moderator tactic. When someone complains, engage in personal attacks and insinuate that they are in the 'tiny fringe minority', instead of addressing their complaints.

Is spuriousmonkey childish? Sure. Is he an attention whore? Sure. Are his jokes lame and repetitive? Sure. But he's still RIGHT in his criticism regarding the state of these forums. I may not like spurious as a poster (he reminds me of GeoffP, but without the biting wit), but I'd much rather the forum be moderated by him than by the mod triad which currently dominates.

13. Gustav Banned Banned

i strongly disagree
    turn back the clock james

things will change

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Typical tactic to claim that moderators should not be allowed to engage in debate with the rest of the membership.

Note that I personally am abstaining from this particular vote, and I currently plan to make no argument for or against retention of the infraction system.

One further comment: members may wish to consider how "problem" posters should be handled in the absence of an infraction system. I assume we will return to a system of bans judged by individual moderators on a case-by-case basis.

15. Gustav Banned Banned

sorry
    i demand plazma be the final arbiter
    further more, maybe even the only arbiter
    and isnt it the case that only super mods can ban?
    why extend to every tom, dick or harry?

16. Gustav Banned Banned

after all, its his traffic you play with

17. Gustav Banned Banned

i know 20 in 10 equals 3
    cos i suffered it

the rest is incomprehensible (by choice)
    abolish what again?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. mountainhare Banned Banned

James R:
    Nice strawman, James.

19. Gustav Banned Banned

i see a traveler

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I absolutely agree with this statement. Monkey has been on an ego trip like a little child.

21. Reiku Banned Banned

I said to do away with them now... but i'm starting to think i've made a mistake.

22. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

23. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Actually I wasn't about then

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I was posting over at the-park.com back then which had a very unusual audience to say the least.

I hope your new incarnation knows how to pander a little better, as obviously a few members have voiced the loss of hearing your commentary with your past iteration. I know in annal's it's said that "History is doomed to repeat itself" but perhaps you could provide the necessary paradox to prove that wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.