Abiotic Oil Why Isn't This Part of the Debate?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Buffalo Roam, Feb 27, 2007.

1. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Aah. Light dawns. I had no idea where those - unusual - assertions about limestone, etc, were coming from.

I won't disturb you any more.

But as a partial hint, you might want to 1) give up on the video "evidence", or at least preview it, such as this:
    , which does not actually mention drilling oil wells to 30,000 feet (gas wells don't support the abiotic assertions) 2) stay away from creationist websites in scientific matters - they have no integrity with respect to physical fact, having a higher purpose

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

http://www.existence-of-god.com/first-cause-objections.html

Atheism is the definition of religious dogma.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Yes yes yes, god has always existed, blah blah blah, magical being outside of space and time, just likes to create beings out of dirt in order to watch them suffer, etc .etc.

Perhaps in your Bizarro world dictionary. But in this world, A theism means without god, just as A biotic means without life.

Wait a minute. Is that you Ice Age Civilizations?

8. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

It's hilarious that you value your religion so much that you still have faith oil wells are not being drilled below 15,000 feet.

Jack 2: http://www.chevron.com/news/press/Release/?id=2006-09-05

Tahiti 1: http://www.chevron.com/news/press/Release/?id=2002-04-01

Schlumberger case study: http://www.slb.com/content/services/resources/casestudies/testing/perforating_system_chevron_gom.asp

9. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Projection: everyone is like you ? They aren't.

I learned of oil wells deeper than 15,000 feet, if I hadn't before (I had) from the abiotic oil debunking link you quoted - that Heinberg or whoever - and then comes stuff like this
    is equally silly: there's lots of people talking about deep bacterial life, and not about abiotic oil.

But thanks for the nonvideo stuff - saves a lot of time.

10. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

May I ask why you keep arguing otherwise?

Name one.

11. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

The "First Cause" is a problem for all, scientist and creationist alike. Creationist only move the problem back one step, making the mystery question become: "Where did God come from?", instead of "Where did the universe come from?"

Some (or most?) Creationsits ARE JUST TOO DUMB to understand that saying "God made the universe." does not answer the mystery as to how things began, started from nothing. Actually science is closer to an answer as it it well established that things do come from nothting, at least briefly - for example the spontaneous generation of an electron/positron pair in completely empty vaccuum.

Both Creationists and scientists can, if they like, postulate that time has always existed (There was no "begining" God or Energy has always existed.) In this POV, the "big bang" is just the reformulation of this energy from it prior state and so intense that it is not possible for scientists to study the prior state of this energy as our universe's version of "time" was created along with our universe's version of matter in the big bang.

There is no evidence for either a God that has always existed (without begining) or for energy that has always existed, (without begining).

SUMMARY:
    Neither POV can be shown to be false or correct OR SUPERIOR TO THE OTHER.

12. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

To Oilismastery:

Three quick questions:

(1) Do you know about the "mid Atlantic ridge"? Region where matter has been coming up from the deep interior layers of the earth for very long time (For more than a dozen reversals of the Earth's magnetic field as are recorded in the rocks symetrically separated on both sides of / from the up welling ridge.) There are several of these up welling ridges at different location around the globe.

(2) Do you think that this matter coming up is being created from nothing or do you accept that an equal amount of matter is moving down (in "suduction zones" as geologist call* these also well known locations)?

(3) If you reject in (2) the spontaneous creation of matter and accept plate tectonics theory etc with subduction zones, is it not possible that biotic oil created near the surface of Earth is constantly being transported to lower depths. Of course when it gets deep enough, it will decompose, make natural gas, etc**. Perhaps why natural gas is always found with the ultra deep wells now being drilled? Or, alternatively as you continue to cite obviously wrong earlier predictiona that biotic oil is not stabe (decomposes) below 15,000 feet; Are you, presumably, postulating now some unique "stability factor" in "a-biotic oil" you claim is being continuously created below that depth (and now brought to market by oil companies)?

I thank you in advance for your answers. I ask to help you think more logically.
    -------------------------
    *Also their deep narrow ocean floor canyons are called "trenches." (The deepest ocean water is found in these trenches. The deepest known is 10,911 meters below the surface in the "Marianas trench." If Mt Everest base were there, the top of Mt Everst would still be 2000 meters below the ocean surface! Also note that is deeper than any oil well yet drilled.)

**" ... Fluids escaping from the shallowest parts of a subduction zone may also escape along the plate boundary but have rarely been observed draining along the trench axis. All of these fluids are dominated by water but also contain dissolved ions and organic molecules, especially methane.... "
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceanic_trench

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2007
  13. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I am astounded that you would ask such a mind numbingly dumb question. I had thought your apparent ignorance was largely an affectation: I now realise it is genuine.

I have personally logged dozens of wells through sedimentary sequences whose depth exceeded the 7,382' you cherish. Some of the wells I have been on had true vertical depths exceeding ten thousand feet. I had the good fortune to be briefly on a well in West Texas in the early 1970s which was over twenty thousand feet deep. Guess what we were drilling through? Bioclastic limestone.

Please stop being so foolish. If you don't wish to take my word for it then consider this single random example:

The basal Cambrian Mt. Simon Sandstone ....... is relatively deep (2,500 to 10,000 feet),
    Source:http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/7877/default.aspx

There are plenty more out there. You merely have to open your eyes.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  14. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

To Ophiolite:

I have recently begun to wonder how the the energy that turns the drill string drilling an oil well is obtained. It can not be from the oil or gas that they later hope to discover, so I assume they bring in liquid form to the site in most cases as there is no near-by power line etc.

Once they are lucky and hit oil/ gas mix how is the gas separated? - you always see photos of the natural gas being flared off. I wonder how much CO2 is released by this flaring of natural gas. Would / could you estimate the relative amout of carbon released at the well by gas flaring compared to that later when the oil is burnt (assuming it all is or that the frac tion that goes into plastic etc. ultimately goes into the air also.) I suspecct it is small fraction.

What does oil company typically do if they hit gas only far from any pipeline? Do they flare the gas for a period to reduce the pressure and then seal the well? or what?

My basic interest is to know if the calculations of exhaust pipe CO2 have considered the CO2 produced by the flaring of gas at the well, if it is any more than a few percent of the total CO2 released AT LATER POINTS in the use of this valuable natural resource.

Too bad that the gas can not be used to power the drill, but that would be like eating the bread before you bake it.

PS it really is amazing how stubornly ignorant oilismastery is, I seldomn give up on trying to teach someone to think rationally but he is beyond hope. Perhaps he has gone away. - He has not replied or other wise responded to:

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=1573724&postcount=331

Where in addition to supporting your facts, I add a few more showing how silly / ignorant he is.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2007
  15. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Most rigs are powered by diesel generators.
    Remember that offshore exploration or appraisal wells are generally drilled by mobile rigs (jack ups, semisubmersibles, drill ships, or barges). Production wells are typically drilled from fixed production platforms anchored to the seabed. (Increasingly mobile rigs will drill slightly more remote wells that are tied back to the production platform.)
    We are now getting into an area I haven't dealt with for decades - my field of expertise is drilling. When testing zones on exploration wells the produced fluid would be run through a seperator - essentially a large, pressurised cylinder, where gravity would seperate the water, oil and gas. Various baffles and aigtators would facilitate this process.
    It is certainly a minority, but the actual amount will vary greatly with the nature of the oil. Sometimes the gas is reinjected in order to maintain reservoir pressure.
    There would be no need to flare teh gas at all. The well is drilled in a controlled manner, with the hydrostatic head of the mud column controlling any subsurface pressures. The well is abandoned by setting a number of cement plugs within it.
    I agree. At first I thought he was just taking the piss, but I think he may be genuine in his foolishness.

16. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Yes. The Lost City Hydrothermal Vent Field is yet more evidence for abiotic petroleum origin.

See here: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080131151856.htm

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/short/319/5863/604

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59991

"Any notion which might suggest that hydrocarbon molecules spontaneously evolve in the regimes of temperature and pressure characterized by the near-surface of the Earth, which are the regimes of methane creation and hydrocarbon destruction, does not even deserve consideration." -- Professor Emmanuil B. Chekaliuk, at All-Union Conference on Petroleum and Petroleum Geology, Moscow, 1968.

http://www.gasresources.net/energy_resources.htm

The last time I checked water is heavier than oil. Oil does not decompose into natural gas at depths. That is a lie.

17. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

So why are petroleum companies drilling 40,000 feet down into igneous rock looking for oil?

18. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Because oil is mastery my son, oil is mastery...