Abiogenic Oil

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Buffalo Roam, Jun 4, 2008.

1. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

not one of those mentions oil

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kmguru Staff Member

Perhaps, we can call it a day saying both sides are correct....

Arguments have been advanced for each viewpoint, and although they conflict with each other, each line of argument sounds strangely convincing.

In favor of the biogenic origin of petroleum, the following four observations have been advanced:

(1) Petroleum contains groups of molecules which are clearly identified as the breakdown products of complex, but common, organic molecules that occur in plants, and that could not have been built up in a non-biological process.

(2) Petroleum frequently shows the phenomenon of optical activity, i.e. a rotation of the plane of polarization when polarized light is passed through it. This implies that molecules which can have either a right-handed or a left-handed symmetry are not equally represented, but that one symmetry is preferred. This is normally a characteristic of biological materials and absent in fluids of non-biological origin.

(3) Some petroleums show a clear preference for molecules with an odd number of carbon atoms over those with an even number. Such an odd-even effect can be understood as arising from the breakdown of a class of molecules that are common in biological substances, and may be difficult to account for in other ways.

(4) Petroleum is mostly found in sedimentary deposits and only rarely in the primary rocks of the crust below; even among the sediment, it favors those that are geologically young. In many cases such sediment appears to be rich in carbonaceous materials that were interpreted as of biological origin, and as source material for the petroleum deposit.

On the other side of the argument, in favor of an origin from deeply buried materials incorporated in the Earth when it formed, the following observations have been cited:

(1) Petroleum and methane are found frequently in geographic patterns of long lines or arcs, which are related more to deep-seated large-scale structural features of the crust, than to the smaller scale patchwork of the sedimentary deposits.

(2) Hydrocarbon-rich areas tend to be hydrocarbon-rich at many different levels, corresponding to quite different geological epochs, and extending down to the crystalline basement that underlies the sediment. An invasion of an area by hydrocarbon fluids from below could better account for this than the chance of successive deposition.

(3) Some petroleums from deeper and hotter levels lack almost completely the biological evidence . Optical activity and the odd-even carbon number effect are sometimes totally absent, and it would be difficult to suppose that such a thorough destruction of the biological molecules had occurred as would be required to account for this, yet leaving the bulk substance quite similar to other crude oils.

(4) Methane is found in many locations where a biogenic origin is improbable or where biological deposits seem inadequate: in great ocean rifts in the absence of any substantial sediments; in fissures in igneous and metamorphic rocks, even at great depth; in active volcanic regions, even where there is a minimum of sediments; and there are massive amounts of methane hydrates (methane-water ice combinations) in permafrost and ocean deposits, where it is doubtful that an adequate quantity and distribution of biological source material is present.

(5) The hydrocarbon deposits of a large area often show common chemical or isotopic features, quite independent of the varied composition or the geological ages of the formations in which they are found. Such chemical signatures may be seen in the abundance ratios of some minor constituents such as traces of certain metals that are carried in petroleum; or a common tendency may be seen in the ratio of isotopes of some elements, or in the abundance ratio of some of the different molecules that make up petroleum. Thus a chemical analysis of a sample of petroleum could often allow the general area of its origin to be identified, even though quite different formations in that area may be producing petroleum. For example a crude oil from anywhere in the Middle East can be distinguished from an oil originating in any part of South America, or from the oils of West Africa; almost any of the oils from California can be distinguished from that of other regions by the carbon isotope ratio.

(6) The regional association of hydrocarbons with the inert gas helium, and a higher level of natural helium seepage in petroleum-bearing regions, has no explanation in the theories of biological origin of peroleum.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Absolutely ridiculous.

"The suggestion that petroleum might have arisen from some transformation of squashed fish or biological detritus is surely the silliest notion to have been entertained by substantial numbers of persons over an extended period of time." -- Fred Hoyle, 1982.

http://www.gasresources.net/DisposalBioClaims.htm

Dear moron, since you think lack of C13 is proof of living organisms, obviously you think Marvin the Martian is up there on Mars farting methane bubbles. Typical Atheist. My advice to you: borrow an f-ing clue.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://astrobio.net/news/article1665.html

Religious fundamentalists, namely sedimentary geologists and biologists, think antimatter is biogenic. They think the entire periodic table of elements is biogenic because they are mentally retarded.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Just so you know, you can make every hydrocarbon synthetically in a lab except the exotics found on Titan by combining olivine (or iron) with water (or free hydrogen) and graphite (or calcium carbonate).

No one has ever produced hydrocarbons from cyanobacteria (hydrocarbon destroyers) or algae because it would violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics: http://www.gasresources.net/ThrmcCnstrnts.htm

8. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

hey oil why don't find some new sources. oh wait they don't exist.

9. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

this from a evolution denier. your fucking joke and a poor one at that.

10. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Derrrrrr, derrrrrr, derrrrrr. The most powerful argument for biogenic origin I've ever seen in my life.

Read this if you're literate: http://oilismastery.blogspot.com/

11. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

you have yet to quote a source younger than i am. and why would i read your fucking propaganda bullshit.

12. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

I always read counterarguments. You're just afraid to because you live in a cocoon of unreality and you're a pussy.

How's Deliverance treating you?

13. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

You might read you sure the fuck don't understand them. I'm not afraid Its just when i want to learn i go find someone who knows what the fuck their talking about. and considering you proven track record of not understanding science you most clearly are someone i do not wish to learn from. You just to much of a pussy to understand science disagrees with you and move on.

14. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

The modern Russian-Ukrainian theory of deep abiotic petroleum origin has allowed Russia (9.5 mbpd) to surpass Saudi Arabia (9.2 mbpd) as the world's biggest oil producer: http://www.chinapost.com.tw/business/global markets/2008/06/12/160706/Russia-is.htm

In contrast, the absurd idea that hydrocarbons miraculously evolve from biological organisms in blatant violation of the Second Law of Thermodynamics caused American production to peak. In the absense of seismic data, the success rate of American and British petroleum geologists using the biogenic theory has been an absolute failure, 1 sucessful oilwell for every 28 dry holes.

15. kmguru Staff Member

It is a mistake to tell everybody that oil is everywhere....then everyone will burn them rapidly causing global warming and doom this planet.....

Three years ago, one of my neighbor dug a gas well on his property on a hunch and now he bought a large property nearby and building a mansion. This means, we may have gas and oil under our property too ...

16. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Doom! Doom! Doom!

The deeper the better...

17. kmguru Staff Member

I always know, deep penetration is the key...

We are putting a team together to drill in one central African country. We are going to try the lake bed first...