Abiogenic Oil

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Buffalo Roam, Jun 4, 2008.

1. kmguru Staff Member

Whether biogenic or abiogenic, should not there be oil in other part of Saudi Arabia like close to Mecca, or way south of Ghawar?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kmguru Staff Member

How do we know, there is no oil deep inside Titan? We still do not know water/ice on Mars just 3 inches deep!

I wonder if there is oil in Mars...that would be interesting....

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Could be ! Just no Noachian Flood to force it to the surface.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Titan has over 300 trillion barrels of oil: http://www.nasa.gov/centers/jpl/news/cassini-20080213.html

All from volcanoes: http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7489

7 different hydrocarbon alkanes.

Unfortunately for biogenic morons there is not one living organism on Titan.

We know there is oil on Mars:
    http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2005/2005GL022691.shtml
    http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2005/pdf/2332.pdf

Unfortunately for biogenic morons there is not one living organism on Mars.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No one is saying it's one or the other. On Earth, biological sources are the biggest, and the ones we exploit in our oil orgy, which is almost over.

9. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Not according to your links. No mention of Titan oil in them.
    But we're keeping it a secret, and only talking about the methane on Mars, because we are secretly buying up the mineral rights.

10. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

It's hilarious to see people who don't even know what oil is try to debate it's origin.

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Are you just pretending to be a moron or are you a genuine one ?
    There is NO OIL on those planets. Do you have a reading disability ?

12. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

14. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Oil is a hydrocarbon mix of alkanes and polycyclic aromatics.

15. kmguru Staff Member

The composition of crude oil varies greatly from one source to another- crude oil from the Middle East contains a greater proportion of straight chain hydrocarbons*, while Nigerian crude oil is predominantly cyclic hydrocarbons and aromatics. Mexican crude can be up to 5% sulfur, while Pennsylvanian crude contains less than 0.1%.
    ------------------
    *Hydrocarbon
    Any chemical compound containing only hydrogen and carbon. We have been unable to determine where the word comes from.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

substituted cyclopentane, cyclohexane, bicyclic species

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

So a mere mix methane and ethane is not oil. Right ?
    Can you point out in the article where they say there is oil on these planets ? So not hydrocarbons, ethane, or methane. OIL.

17. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Alkanes and PAHs are both abiogenic as evidenced by their presence on interplanetary dust particles, meteoroids, asteroids, igneous rocks, and moons.

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I asked you a question.

19. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Aren't you folks getting a bit tired of arguing with a idiot that has NO scientific knowledge and THE absolute worst reading comprehension I've ever seen?

He's the type that believes if a speck of iron is found on an island somewhere it's positive proof that there was once a great civilization there - and probably was built by extraterrestrials!

I gave up on him LONG ago. I just entered this thread because I enjoy seeing the dummy get smacked - but it should be obvious by now that he has no real interest at all in facts. Just likes to run his mouth...

20. kmguru Staff Member

I think that is correct. The GC/MS samples the atomospheric gases and not the liquid sample. The SSP (Surface Science Package) of Huygens just tested where it landed for surface consistency (Penetrometry and accelerometry measurements during the probe impact event reveal that the surface was neither hard (like solid ice) nor very compressible (like a blanket of fluffy aerosol); rather, the Huygens probe landed on a relatively soft solid surface whose properties are analogous to wet clay, lightly packed snow and wet or dry sand.)

The GC/MS did not measure the liquid lake. May be next time....

21. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

still misunderstanding the science - suprised? not me.

the clincher on this paper is not the lack of C13 - it's the DIFFERENCE in carbon isotope ratios between diamonoids found in oil, and diamonds of known mantle/abiogenic origin - and the SIMILARITY of carbon isotope ratios of diamondoids in oil and that of stuff of biogenic origin.

You know - like the saying goes, "if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck"]

likewise if it looks like a retard, and types like a retard, and posts like a retard.......you get the picture?

well probably not because you are you - but everyone else does - even guys a bit slow on the uptake like buffalo roam by now

22. kmguru Staff Member

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  23. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

don't get OIM started on Noah's flood

On second thoughts please do - we can see him get even more hilariously whacky

cos we know he's a believer in that sort of shit

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!