A World Apart....

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by jlabrec, Mar 3, 2003.

1. jlabrec Registered Member

There comes a point in the lives of all humans, who choose to make a difference in the world around them, to create something to be remembered. This item can be as simple as a thought expressed, a book, poem, song, ...etc. It is the duty of those who read and/or listen, to choose to aggree or disaggree. This is the gift given by the creator of such thoughts expressed, to promote intellectual growth in the mind of the reader/listener.

A world apart....

Never in the history of human civilization, has this three word phrase had as much meaning as it does now. Mankind has entered a turning point in their existence. We have surpassed the atomic age and entered the nuclear age. It is not uncommon for a society to generate within their studies the creation of weapons of mass destruction. In fact, this is usually the manner in which such reasearch can more easily be furthered.

This time in our existence has created a cituation in which the entire world is torn apart. Still within the human species there are simple racisms, prejudeces, disaggreements, old hatreds, ...etc. It is these types of thoughts that continue to keep the world apart. Mankind still looks to the earth as a place to be divided. Humans still look at one another and notice the distinct differences.

Now however, there is something in the works, granted by time and research, that can in fact catastrophicly change the very face of the planet we live on. Certainly I have come to realize that I am not the only one who sees this potential threat. I fear however that it is pure blindness that keeps the world from seeing this danger in a worldwide scale. We continue to think in terms of US vs. _____. Truth be told, I'm in full aggreement with this idea of stopping or ending a potential war, only if it is for the purpose of removing the threat of annhilitation. If war must occur to ensure the removal of this threat, then I am for the war. I have come to realize that it is this kind of thinking that the world has ignored. Most want to simply choose sides, this will keep the world apart.

I can't forsee the future, I can however tell you what will happen if this war occurs. Put simply... many humans will suffer and die. The fragile fabric that holds this planet's ability to support life will also be ripped. It takes very little to do so, and it takes even less, for a small change in the Earth's balance to be removed.

A world apart.... this thought or phrase usually envokes that their are at least two sides or opinions. Well in my case there is, one believes that we should have either war or peace, while I believe that we should attempt to put an end to a threat that could be our last hoorah, annhiliation. I think that we as humans should easily recognize the dangers of extinction, since it is our existence which has caused so many species of creature's demise.

Seeing a world apart is indeed our problem. Only when we can see the Earth as no more than a home for All Life, will this threat go away. What is it I ask of you? Simple, do not choose sides in this bitter debate of War vs. Peace. Choose instead to support the Earth as a whole. In case some humans have forgotten, we don't have any other planet we can move to if we destroy this one. Well... at least not yet. Maybe when we can move to live on other planets, perhaps then we can continue our locust-like ways.

just a thought....
    Jeff

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I agree with all that, but if you want the earth to survive as long as possible don't a few people need to be killed every now and then? If this great world peace you speak of became a reality wouldn't the earth quickly become too over-populated by humans and in turn be destroyed?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Neville Registered Senior Member

Your forgetting though Lou Natic that htere might not actually be any threat. You said it yourself, that the U.S finds enemies! Who says that there is any need for this 'war'??

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

No, I think you misunderstood, I'm not saying there is a "need for this war"(I'm not saying there isn't either) I'm asking Is it that big of a deal in the big scheme of things? Will it be the huge tragedy everyone seems to think it will be? Between the lines I guess I'm asking is the death of a few thousand or even a million humans necasarrily a bad thing when it comes to the well being of the planet earth? I feel as though the answer is no, but I never was much of a humanitarian. If you ask me it is just like pruning the branches of a plant in order to make it grow and prosper.
    So I guess I am saying that war is actually a good thing. Especially if it is done efficiently with as little waste and radiation as possible.

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

and if it is done far from home

9. sycoindian myxomatosis> Registered Senior Member

jlabrec

its interestin what you wrote.. i just find it too flowery and overly optimistic...

10. Neville Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I see what you mean now. I'd say probably not and like spurio pointed out, it will be done far from home so not only is there no/little danger of us being harmed but we wont have to see the bodies either. No waste to clear up before disease spreads and no man-power to find to move them either. Yippee!!

The main argument I think is that most of the population probably dont have half a clue what's actually going on and they didn't really elect their leader, they had no choice. In the last elections noone didn't vote for Saddam!Is it really fair to risk the lives of those people: those who struggle for existence anyway, to take out one man. This brings us back to your original point.

. I suppose it depends on whether Saddam really does have weapons of mass destruction and if not then why go in there?

To anyone else: does anyone know in what way it will help the Americans' oil fund (if this is a valid reason for a war) by going to war. Are they trying to de-stableize (de-stabalize?) the country and the economy and then pick up their oil for cheap in the future?

11. jlabrec Registered Member

Well, I feel that I must give some information on myself. Perhaps this will allow a different opinion on my thought.

I served the US Army on active duty for five years. I was stationed in Kuwait for a year. I have come to understand what sort of dangers we face there. I am a strong supporter in any course of action that our armed forces will take part in. I am also a strong supporter of our Government. I have only been out of the Army for a little over a year, so I am not blind to the possibility that my own life may be forfeited for the greater good. I simply feel that we should strongly consider the effects of the action we may have chosen to take.

Dondald Rumsfeld has spoken of our plan to use mini nukes if necessary. We've authorized the use of chemical weapons. I find it odd that we've chosen to put an end to others, by using our own.

If you've read my thought and found it to "flowery", well... I suppose that will be your opinion. Heh, to be honest I was sort of impressed with my own ability. I am not at all skilled in Literary use of the English language. Heh, my misspelling of some words, and the use of the correctly spelled wrong words shows it.

I understand the world is overpopulated. I can assure you there are enough natural disasters to take the lives of humans. Heh... there's always the possibility of an E.L.E. to occur. Perhaps then the Lunatic one will be satisfied.

I wonder if anyone who replies to this has enough conviction in their own beliefs to die for them.

12. Jessie Registered Senior Member

It is delightful to read your thoughts. And yes, most people tend to choose sides. However, there are no clear boundaries between the polars. The natures of most social phenomenon are somewhere located on a contiuum. No wars are pure holy wars on behalf of peace. It is not the nature of a war that makes it not pure, but the PEOPLE who make use of wars.
    But I am not certain if we should not make a decision or choice (choosing sides, by your idea). Life is made up of a series of choice. Critical moments are always there for us. Personally, I think choosing sides is not a problem. Again, the nature of decision is neutral. A decision is not good or bad. It is the process of this decision or choice being come up with that matters.

Before one makes a choice, he or she or the nation should have thorough, sufficient and considerate reasons first. Sometimes, mass media would cloud us. I will not say the US or Iraq is right, before I have done an entensive historical and social review on their background and society. I will not make a choice after I read any piece of newspaper. Peace is always our concern. Making judgments is OK and is our rights. But before we judge, we better take a deep look on that matter first. If one has read history and social literature regarding those countries, one has been qualified to make a judgment.

You are concerned about the earth as a whole. You are not choosing sides. But that is passive. The world won't stop for you. And choices are not bipolar. There are always alternatives.

2 pairs of dilemma:

The US is right VS Iraq is right
    War is right VS anit-war is right

Again, not even either side is absoultely right. They are just in a form of a continuum. And you can bring more alternatives to those 2 pairs. If you just sit down and cry out that "I don't choose sides. Anyway I just care for the world". Did you do anything??

I don't know the right answer either. Only God know. In fact, not all the people who choose sides are blind. They have their right to choose. They deserve your respect as long as they have a reasonable, well-grounded and careful decision making process.

For me, I am just one small sand in this world. My little hope is that there are peace and trust among us. My decision is that I don't support this war between the US and Iraq. If there are anti-war demonstrations again, I will participate and attend. At least I know I will DO SOME THING.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2003
  13. Jessie Registered Senior Member

According to the Bible, only God have the right to say right or wrong.
    But I think moral judgments and making choices are two different things. We still have to make choice without any moral involvement.

14. Neville Registered Senior Member

Jessie. The only way to get anything done is to raise awareness. People need to know that something is happening or there is nothing to dispute! If the whole of America was anti-war and attended a nation-wide protest then i doubt there would be a war. The anti-war protesters are doing the right thing and the best thing that they could do but many people have enough troubles in their own lives and don't have time to worry about people who are thousands of miles away. Besides the modern person never has to see the brutality of war or even the grim aftermath. If something comes on t.v. that they don't want to look at it's only the touch of a button that takes it away (not just war but starving children). Out of sight out of mind.

Each of us is just a grain of sand but it's only if enough of us group together that we will get noticed. Personally however i don't think that my life will be touched by the war even when it's over. The only way i'll know it's over is when someone tells me. While I don't condone war (some would say that doing nothing about something that i know is happening is condoning it) I am just grateful to be born in a time and place that knows better (imo) and can protect itself (through technology) with relative ease and not only protect it's civilians lives but can also protect what the civilians will see. There isn't much chance of an army steaming into the west coast and there are limits to what they will show on t.v. On the other hand if there was no television there could still be a war and i would probably be even less (!) aware of it, however it is other technologies that keep the enemies at bay and stop them getting close to its children.

15. jlabrec Registered Member

Let me try this another way.... Just think on this for a moment:

When should you get concerned....?

How long should we wait to ensure there is actually a threat?

How long after the next terrorsit attack should we wait to retaliate?

How many more innocent people must suffer and die at the hands of terrorists, before its considered to be a problem?

How many friends or family members are you willing to sacrifice to terrorism?

How close to you should the next terrorist attack be, before you think you are indeed in danger?

This war is not about oil. It is not about a son trying to finish a father's task. This war is about putting an end to a threat not just to our nation, but to all.

I believe that Sadam is not our biggest threat. It is the weapons he's created. I don't think he'll use them, he's a businessman. He'll sell them to the highest bidder.

Hmmm.... how many countries or terrorist organizations out there have reasons to dislike the US? Hmmm.... nah I'm not worried about a threat thousands of miles away. Hmmm.... Its not my war.

Do not preach to me about respecting peoples freedoms. I am willing to give my life so you can sit there safe in your own seat and think your naieve thoughts. I know more about respect of freedom than you'll ever understand. Try going to a place where your rights are non existent. Where you are under orders to hold your ground and nothing else. Have someone look you square in the face and spit in your eye. Yeah... I know nothing about resepct of freedom. That person still breathes, if only I respected freedom a little less than I do.

-mutters and goes quiet-

16. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

You're right we take freedom for granted.
    Know why?
    Because we fucking deserve it! You deserve it, I deserve, everyone and everything naturally deserves it.
    Just because some crazy bastard threatens it doesn't change a thing. Death is a welcome delight compared to a lack of freedom, thats why I personally don't have a problem with bombing the crap out of a country that may house someone who is threatening the freedom of others.
    So you may kill some innocent people, frankly, so what? Death isn't that bad, not as bad as not having freedom. What about surviving family members who will grieve over the deaths of their innocent loved ones? I got an idea, bomb all of them, then there are no grieving loved ones. I have an overly logical way of thinking and lack what you humans call c-c-c-compassion? I feel it is a weakness to be honest. It can too often get in the way of the greater good.

17. Neville Registered Senior Member

That's what i was trying to say jlabrec! I am grateful that our country has a force(es) and the capability to keep threats at bay and allow me to sit here in my safe seat to think my naive thoughts! I am also grateful that people do fight and protect what is a fundamentally good country. Without these people our country would become infected by a rotting of morals and values by a cancer of 'heathen' and 'unfounded' thought (this may be a bit harsh but i hope you can see my point).

However without new generations continuing to uphold these values they will wither and die and our country will no longer be what it is and has been. I for one try to keep these values within our society.

p.s. i do not squander my freedom! I too am grateful for it because i have experienced the reverse (although probably not as harshly as you have). I do make the most of my freedom, however i see people who never even give this a thought (and maybe never will!).

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

i you think that you are free you should try refusing to pay tax.

19. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I don't have to refuse, I just don't do it

20. Neville Registered Senior Member

Well my tax kind of goes towards what we have been talking about spuriousmonkey! If you think about how much it costs to even build a plane let alone design it along with aircraft carriers, boats, the training of soldiers, the soldiers equipment etc i think we probably get a good deal (maybe! lol). the pint is that our tax goes towards things that we never even see: the above list etc but they are still out there protecting us. The fact is that our money goes towards our safety and protection (among other things): how many people sit down to watch t.v. without worrying that a group of armed men could come crashing in at any moment and attack anyone including friends or family?! All of us yet many people don't get that. Also for what we pay we get the roads maintained, our rubbish disposed of properly (reduction of disease risk) and other things too (

lol). I'd rather pay tax than have to worry about these things myself. And this country is a lot more free than most i would say.

21. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

The tragic irony in this 'war against Saddam--to save the Iraqi people', is that nobody mentions that there is a huge probability that Saddam might survive, while the Iraqi people are decimated!

Further... if they (US+UK) use nukes, the fall out won't just be limited to Iraq, but will settle throughout the region for thousands of square miles around and beyond (depending on the winds).

IF THIS ISN'T THE WORST, MOST BLATANT AND MOST CONTEMPTUOUS KIND OF TERRORISM ONE RACE CAN INFLICT ON NUMEROUS OTHERS... I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS!

And then, Americans and Brits wonder, why the world hates them

22. shadows technocrat:Teach me Registered Senior Member

Those that oppose a war with iraq support more time for saddam to rip families apart and send them to die in prisons. Yes that is a notable humanitarian accomplishment adverting a war were perhaps 200k would die so that another million could die due to inaction. it has happened before and it is happening again. When it happened the last time it was in europe.
    The way the war against terror wil be won is through forging a strong international govrnment. Where the armies of the world will be disarmed and turned into a global peacekeeping force. Then economic investments to modernize the third world so they can enjoy the same standard of living as us.
    How does a peacekeeping force like that win a war against gurellias? Simple censorship of the media, use of soldiers in uncontroled hotzones across the world and a world satlite system that can veiw anyspot on the planet and pick up any wireless communications.

23. jlabrec Registered Member

I have grown curious since the September 11th tragedy. How is it that so easily some have forgotten patriotism? For some three weeks following the attack, people all over the US rushed out to purchase Old Glory(the flag). Stores all over the country could not keep up with the demand. People in all the cities, on all the sidewalks, would pass eachother being seen wearing some form of partriotic garb. I wonder what happened to change all that. The bulk of our populous was in aggreement that something should be done. Better than 75% of the US people wanted to retaliate. Now oddly, that number is divided to some near 50% to each side of this so called debate. What will it take? Well.... I can easily tell you. People, are fickle. It will take, unfortunately, another attack. Perhaps on a scale greater than that of September 11th.

Perhaps then everyone will again agree that we are doing what needs to be done.