A Universe from Nothing:

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by paddoboy, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Schmelzer Valued Senior Member

No, that's a completely mainstream comment from my side.
    This was also a completely mainstream comment, the free wheeling part is from Krauss.
    It is speculative, of course. Nonetheless, "quantum foam" is a well-established name for a very particular speculation. With the configurations in this speculations being defined by smooth manifolds with Lorentz metrics, like in GR, in contradiction with the "absence of space and time" description you have used in relation to this. That's also a completely mainstream comment.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Yazata Valued Senior Member

I haven't read it. Nor am I particularly motivated to read it. Even if I had wanted to, the first chapter, which is a bit of a rant, would have convinced me otherwise.

That being said, I'm hugely interested in the question 'Why does existence exist at all?'. Unfortunately, I don't think that Krauss' approach, emphasizing his cosmological speculations concerning the peculiar going's-on on the micro-scale in quantum vacuum, even addresses the more fundamental question.

For those who are interested in reading the book, you can download a pdf version of the book for free from the Internet Archive here:

https://ia800403.us.archive.org/19/...lawrence-m-krauss-a-universe-from-nothing.pdf

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Write4U likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Is it? Again, I'll stick to what I have been informed of in the past.
    As I said Schmelzer, we'll have to agree to disagree.

8. Schmelzer Valued Senior Member

It is, but I cannot, of course, argue with the revelations you have received from unknown prophets.
    That's your disagreement with wikipedia level information about quantum foam.
    As you can see, the geometry of spacetime fluctuates. Something which does not exist cannot fluctuate. Thus, it follows that the geometry of spacetime, and therefore also the spacetime itself, exists in Wheeler's speculation.

9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Unknown prophets? hmmm, no, one is an astronomer.
    You have it arse up, sorry. Certainly by the regular everyday definition of "nothing" but Ktauss and other sources are speculating that quantum foam is as close to the regular everyday definition of nothing that is possible. In fact if the quantum foam has existed forever, it is essentially nothing.