A Universe from Nothing: Not that hard to understand.

:D
To be able to reasonably contemplate this is in itself incredible I suggest.
In answer to your question I would say Flat, Open or Closed.
So far according to WMAP, the universe seems "Flat" within pretty small error bars, but also remembering that the apparent flatness of the observable universe, may be just as a small arc of a circle may appear flat when compared to the whole circle....just playing devil's advocate here. :)
That also predicts the universe is infinite in extent which often is questioned with regards to a beginning at the BB.
explained here better than I can......
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/infpoint.html
A Universe with no boundary such as the Hawking/Hartle "No Boundary" proposal seems easy to understand, other then the fact that it predicts a "Closed universe" which is contrary to current evidence, as there does not seem to be enough matter to recollapse the universe as this no boundary suggests.
https://web.uvic.ca/~jtwong/Hartle-Hawking.htm

But still how anything began, scientifically can only apparently have one answer.
Uh - h-h-h-h . . . . . It was just a joke, son!

I posted the following in another thread, but I believe it equally applies here with regards to the Universe and the applicability of the question......

http://bigthink.com/think-tank/scie...lain-the-meaning-of-life-with-edward-o-wilson

Biologist Edward O. Wilson, a two-time Pulitzer Prize recipient and the author of the new book The Meaning of Human Existence, knew that it was vital that he define "meaning" early on in his book, lest he be attacked by a hornet's nest of philosophers. Thus, he identifies the meaning of meaning as:

What are we and why?

Where do we come from?

Where are we most likely to be headed?

Wilson believes those questions cannot be explained with religion for two reasons. First, because every religious faith has a different creation story that, almost categorically, is in competition with every other creation story. Second, because every religious faith is a product of human culture. To assume that human culture can explain meaning is to put a whole lot of trust in introspection, yet Wilson says we can't discover meaning just by thinking about it. The facts lie elsewhere.

This is also why Wilson believes philosophy is ill-equipped to tackle the meaning of existence. In fact, the storied biologist has few kind words for the field as a whole:

"I like to say that most of philosophy, which is a declining and highly endangered academic species, incidentally, consists of failed models of how the brain works. So students going into philosophy have to learn what Descartes thought and then after a long while why that's wrong and what Schopenhauer might have thought and what Kant might of thought or did think. But they cannot go on from that position and historical examination of the nature of humanity to what it really is and how we might define it."

http://bigthink.com/think-tank/scie...lain-the-meaning-of-life-with-edward-o-wilson

https://medium.com/the-physics-arxi...aneously-from-nothing-ed7ed0f304a3#.pa9j4y8op

A Mathematical Proof That The Universe Could Have Formed Spontaneously From Nothing:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1404.1207v1.pdf

Spontaneous creation of the universe from nothing:

An interesting idea is that the universe could be spontaneously created from nothing, but no rigorous proof has been given. In this paper, we present such a proof based on the analytic solutions of the Wheeler-DeWitt equation (WDWE). Explicit solutions of the WDWE for the special operator ordering factor p = −2 (or 4) show that, once a small true vacuum bubble is created by quantum fluctuations of the metastable false vacuum, it can expand exponentially no matter whether the bubble is closed, flat or open. The exponential expansion will end when the bubble becomes large and thus the early universe appears. With the de Broglie-Bohm quantum trajectory theory, we show explicitly that it is the quantum potential that plays the role of the cosmological constant and provides the power for the exponential expansion of the true vacuum bubble. So it is clear that the birth of the early universe completely depends on the quantum nature of the theory.

VIII. DISCUSSION AND CONCLUSION
In summary, we have presented a mathematical proof that the universe can be created spontaneously from nothing. When a small true vacuum bubble is created by quantum fluctuations of the metastable false vacuum, it can expand exponentially if the ordering factor takes the value p = −2 (or 4). In this way, the early universe appears irreversibly. We have shown that it is the quantum potential that provides the power for the exponential expansion of the bubble. Thus, we can conclude that the birth of the early universe is completely determined by quantum mechanism. One may ask the question when and how space, time and matter appear in the early universe from nothing. With the exponential expansion of the bubble, it is doubtless that space and time will emerge. Due to Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle, there should be virtual particle pairs created by quantum fluctuations. Generally speaking, a virtual particle pair will annihilate soon after its birth. But, two virtual particles from a pair can be separated immediately before annihilation due to the exponential expansion of the bubble. Therefore, there would be a large amount of real particles created as vacuum bubble expands exponentially. A rigorous mathematical calculation for the rate of particle creation with the exponential expansion of the bubble will be studied in our future work.
The usual tactic of repetitious flooding somehow 'proving' something. See my #22, which is evidently beyond anyone's ability here to meaningfully counter or even comment on.

The usual tactic of repetitious flooding somehow 'proving' something. See my #22, which is evidently beyond anyone's ability here to meaningfully counter or even comment on.
Oh c'mon now my old friend! You have given nothing that is not already known, and what ever you say actually is countered by many, as per the definition/s of nothing and the superfluous nature of any uneccessary IDer or such.
The simple fact remains, irrespective of what you say, a universe from nothing is really the only scientific solution open, despite the exact methodology being open for speculation, just as per abiogenisis..
You have a good day, ya hear! ;)

Oh c'mon now my old friend! You have given nothing that is not already known, and what ever you say actually is countered by many, as per the definition/s of nothing and the superfluous nature of any uneccessary IDer or such.
The simple fact remains, irrespective of what you say, a universe from nothing is really the only scientific solution open, despite the exact methodology being open for speculation, just as per abiogenisis..
You have a good day, ya hear! ;)
Thanks for confirming you have no answers to what I posed in #22. One or two others here with an actual grasp of physics might have tried though.

Interesting extract from......
http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20141106-why-does-anything-exist-at-all

Space-time, from no space and no time

From tiny things like atoms, to really big things like galaxies. Our best theory for describing such large-scale structures is general relativity, Albert Einstein's crowning achievement, which sets out how space, time and gravity work.

Relativity is very different from quantum mechanics, and so far nobody has been able to combine the two seamlessly. However, some theorists have been able to bring the two theories to bear on particular problems by using carefully chosen approximations. For instance, this approach was used by Stephen Hawking at the University of Cambridge to describe black holes.

One thing they have found is that, when quantum theory is applied to space at the smallest possible scale, space itself becomes unstable. Rather than remaining perfectly smooth and continuous, space and time destabilize, churning and frothing into a foam of space-time bubbles.

In other words, little bubbles of space and time can form spontaneously. "If space and time are quantized, they can fluctuate," says Lawrence Krauss at Arizona State University in Tempe. "So you can create virtual space-times just as you can create virtual particles."

What's more, if it's possible for these bubbles to form, you can guarantee that they will. "In quantum physics, if something is not forbidden, it necessarily happens with some non-zero probability," says Alexander Vilenkin of Tufts University in Boston, Massachusetts.

"It turns out that a flat universe is crucial. That's because only a flat universe is likely to have come from nothing".

"Everything that exists, from stars and galaxies to the light we see them by, must have sprung from somewhere. We already know that particles spring into existence at the quantum level, so we might expect the universe to contain a few odds and ends. But it takes a huge amount of energy to make all those stars and planets.

The energy of matter is exactly balanced by the energy of the gravity the mass creates

Where did the universe get all this energy? Bizarrely, it may not have had to get any. That's because every object in the universe creates gravity, pulling other objects toward it. This balances the energy needed to create the matter in the first place".

The usual tactic of repetitious flooding somehow 'proving' something.See my #22, which is evidently beyond anyone's ability here to meaningfully counter or even comment on.
Grok'd!!
...like Yazata Posted in #55 : "...unverifiable speculations mustn't be misrepresented as authoritative scientific answers."

Last edited:

From tiny things like atoms, to really big things like galaxies. Our best theory for describing such large-scale structures is general relativity, Albert Einstein's crowning achievement, which sets out how space, time and gravity work.

Relativity is very different from quantum mechanics, and so far nobody has been able to combine the two seamlessly. However, some theorists have been able to bring the two theories to bear on particular problems by using carefully chosen approximations. For instance, this approach was used by Stephen Hawking at the University of Cambridge to describe black holes.

One thing they have found is that, when quantum theory is applied to space at the smallest possible scale, space itself becomes unstable. Rather than remaining perfectly smooth and continuous, space and time destabilize, churning and frothing into a foam of space-time bubbles.

In other words, little bubbles of space and time can form spontaneously. "If space and time are quantized, they can fluctuate," says Lawrence Krauss at Arizona State University in Tempe. "So you can create virtual space-times just as you can create virtual particles."

What's more, if it's possible for these bubbles to form, you can guarantee that they will. "In quantum physics, if something is not forbidden, it necessarily happens with some non-zero probability," says Alexander Vilenkin of Tufts University in Boston, Massachusetts.

"It turns out that a flat universe is crucial. That's because only a flat universe is likely to have come from nothing".

"Everything that exists, from stars and galaxies to the light we see them by, must have sprung from somewhere. We already know that particles spring into existence at the quantum level, so we might expect the universe to contain a few odds and ends. But it takes a huge amount of energy to make all those stars and planets.

The energy of matter is exactly balanced by the energy of the gravity the mass creates

Where did the universe get all this energy? Bizarrely, it may not have had to get any. That's because every object in the universe creates gravity, pulling other objects toward it. This balances the energy needed to create the matter in the first place".[/QUOTE] I disagree . . . if the laws of thermodynamic are true, the universe exists overall within a system of increasing entropy (decreasing order). Ergo, it was in a more highly-ordered (greater energy) in the past. At best, one could stipulate that the (totality) of the universe has been, or was at one time, in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium (balance). I believe that this was the original (energy) state of the pre-universe. This original state was then perturbed (by 'fluctuations', or other?) that 'created' an entropy-induced imbalance. The (now) observable universe resulted from this imbalance via energy --> mass conversion and most likely (IMO) the total mass in the observable universe (manifesting the gravitational force) is a responsive counter-balancing phenomenon to compensate for the conversion of the pre-existant energy (aka cosmological constant). [Of course, all of the foregoing is "unverifiable speculations mustn't be misrepresented as authoritative scientific answers" Ref. Yazata, Post #55

Last edited:

Where did the universe get all this energy? Bizarrely, it may not have had to get any. That's because every object in the universe creates gravity, pulling other objects toward it. This balances the energy needed to create the matter in the first place".
Right. Right. But just as a reminder: http://www.sciforums.com/posts/3431206/

[Of course, all of the foregoing is "unverifiable speculations mustn't be misrepresented as authoritative scientific answers"
Would you rather those here take notice of the equally unverifiable, unqualified, and misrepresentations from some of the populace of this forum, open to any Tom, Dick and Harry? [with agendas obviously] rather then the data, and opinions of professionals such as Linde and Krauss?:rolleyes:
I think I prefer my answers from those [Linde and Krauss] rather than others that in most cases are simply applying their "god of the gaps" and ID fanaticism.

Would you rather those here take notice of the equally unverifiable, unqualified, and misrepresentations from some of the populace of this forum, open to any Tom, Dick and Harry? [with agendas obviously] rather then the data, and opinions of professionals such as Linde and Krauss?:rolleyes:
I think I prefer my answers from those [Linde and Krauss] rather than others that in most cases are simply applying their "god of the gaps" and ID fanaticism.
HAHAHAHA!! any Tom, Dick, Harry (and me!', I guess) . . . You should also read some of John D. Barrow's manuscripts.

If there is one fanatic here, you will probably recognize him when looking in the mirror.

HAHAHAHA!! any Tom, Dick, Harry (and me!', I guess) . . . You should also read some of John D. Barrow's manuscripts.
It's quite factual Karen...Cosmological data, speculation/s, theories and knowledge do not originate or are born on science forums.
The cosmologists/physicists such as Linde, Krauss, and company, are at the coal face...It's quite easy for upstarts to come on a science forum, and driven by agendas [which a lot are] deride these reputable people. :rolleyes:

https://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/Sept02/Kinney/paper.pdf

COSMOLOGY, INFLATION, AND THE PHYSICS OF NOTHING

Abstract

These four lectures cover four topics in modern cosmology: the cosmological constant, the cosmic microwave background, inflation, and cosmology as a probe of physics at the Planck scale. The underlying theme is that cosmology gives us a unique window on the “physics of nothing,” or the quantum-mechanical properties of the vacuum. The theory of inflation postulates that vacuum energy, or something very much like it, was the dominant force shaping the evolution of the very early universe. Recent astrophysical observations indicate that vacuum energy, or something very much like it, is also the dominant component of the universe today. Therefore cosmology gives us a way to study an important piece of particle physics inaccessible to accelerators. The lectures are oriented toward graduate students with only a passing familiarity with general relativity and knowledge of basic quantum field theory.

Conclusion
We have come a long way in four lectures, from Einstein’s misbegotten introduction of the cosmological constant at the beginning of the last century to its triumphant return today. Einstein’s blunder is now seen as the key to understanding the very beginning of the universe, as represented by the theory of inflation, as well as the universe today, dominated by the mysterious dark energy that makes up more than two thirds of the entire mass of the cosmos. I have tried to convince you of two things: first, that the study of the early universe is particle physics in a very real sense, and second that apparently exotic theories of the early universe such as inflation (and perhaps even elements of string theory or some other variant of quantum gravity) are predictive and testable. It is a difficult business, to be sure, compared to the clean physics at, say, an e± collider, but what we learn about fundamental theory from cosmology is in many ways complementary to the lessons learned from more traditional particle physics.
https://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/Sept02/Kinney/paper.pdf

So if he was introduced by the far more amiable Professor Sagan?
I'll see what I can do. :)
Yes please. I respect Dawkins in his field of expertise, but his opinions on things such as cosmology are invariably tainted with his religious mission to promote physicalism, which he does naively, without apparently having understood the requisite philosophical context.

Back