A Swastika found on YUGIO cards!! oh no!!

Discussion in 'History' started by Hideki Matsumoto, Sep 21, 2004.

1. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Zelda for Nintendo has a game map which is the shape of a reversed swastika. The symbol itself is tainted by the nazi regime....the symbol goes way back before the nazi regime used it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hideki Matsumoto ñ{ìñÇÃóùâ?ÇÕêSÇÃíÜÇ©ÇÁóàÇ ÈÅB Registered Senior Member

I still can't get over it. St.Large , Lard missed the entire point of the thread!
    Swastika and Manji are not even the same symbol.
    "Manji" is actually the name of the symbol that I posted that was black. I still wonder if some North Americans actually have visual recognition skills? How could a symbol which looks different than the Swastika be tainted by the Nazi regime? This symbol dates back to the begining of Buddhism.
    Do you understand why it is offensive to insult such a symbol which has sacred meaning!
    PLEASE UNDERSTAND ! 4 arms = the 4 nobel truths, quare shaped to represent stability (harmony) in the world. Key ideas of Buddhism.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

And you please understand that the symbol dates back far further than the known existance of Buddhism. And it is believed that they, the early buddhists, applied the same strategy as did the early christians. They wanted to strenghten their position, they saw some local symbol, they gave it their own meaning in the hope that those people shall forget the initial meaning. Buddhism of course has the 4 truth conception, but it could be fitted to any simbol with 4 visable properties and it was.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

You have to admit that the difference is miniscule for someone wihtout background information.

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

The colour or the spin doesn't make it a different symbol.

9. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

That is true, I will repost my previous definiton:

10. Hideki Matsumoto ñ{ìñÇÃóùâ?ÇÕêSÇÃíÜÇ©ÇÁóàÇ ÈÅB Registered Senior Member

One thing missing a Swastika is tilted on axis so that the shape is a diamond. "on end"
    Manji is not a swastika, therefore a flyflot is also not a swastika! No Avatar this symbol is the most perfect example for 4 directions/ nobel truths. We Buddhists are not going to change it either. Thank you.

11. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

Reminds me of this movie and its poster:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

No, a swastika is a cross with right angled arms, no matter in which directions it points or how it is tilted.

13. vslayer Registered Senior Member

if that is the case then how do you explain the fact that all the "swastika"(specifically hitlers one) used by the nazi went the same way, same colour, same tilt.

the swastika which represents facism and antisemitism is that specific one, no variations

14. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Yes, the swastika was always displayes in a certain way by the Nazis. They took a swastika in a certain colouring and angle, but it is still a swastika.
    Also, they used it as their flag, so it always had to look the same, you would not take the American flag and put the stars on the bottom right and colour the stripes green and pink, do you?

15. vslayer Registered Senior Member

that is the one variation that people take offence by, variations that look different should be recognised for what they are

16. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Yes, they should. In fact, looking through the laws here in Germany, I think I have to correct myself. It seems possible that the display of a swastika is allowed, only nazi symbolica is forbidden. But I would not count on the people to see the difference.

Perhaps the nazi swastika should have an own term...

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

18. Star_One Registered Senior Member

Didnt British tanks have the swastika on them at the begining of ww2, but they took it off due to the nazi, misuse of the sign?

19. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

Haven't heard that. Though I don't think you can really ''misuse'' any sign, certain uses/meanings may be more obnoxious than others though. The upright cross for example, was used variously as a sign of love, growth and more through the centuries. Then it got co-opted by the Christians as a symbol for torturing some guy.

20. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

Be Happy...!

This postcard, copyright 1907 by E. Phillips, a U.S. card publisher, speaks for the universally high regard in which the swastika was held as a good luck token before use by the Nazis corrupted its meaning.

The Swastika

See Also:
    Wikepedia's Entry on the Swastika

heh... "four L's"...

21. Silas asimovbot Registered Senior Member

Wow, that postcard does look weird, in the light of 20th Century events. In fact the swastika as seen in that postcard is reminiscent of how it was depicted in British Propaganda, as indications of nazi influence, ie not tilted and frequently red in colour.

The only really correct Nazi swastika is in black, "facing" left to right (so that it looks like two crossed 'S's, not two crossed '2's), angled at 45 degrees and (and this is what everybody forgets) on a white circle within a red rectangle. Apparently it was designed that way by Hitler himself, which leads one to say that whatever you might say about the most evil man that ever lived, he was one hell of a brand designer!

22. Silas asimovbot Registered Senior Member

Well, I see lots of S's, below which are E's and mirrored E's. Then on the right there is the swastika which basically looks like an X with its bars extended at right angles.

So I see the word SEX. Maybe that's just me, then......

23. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

the swastike is a failry simple design, im sure many civilizations independatly discovered it. I wouldnt wear one because it would seem to promote the Nazi cause, even if it was from some other culture