A stupid idea, but could it ever work?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by alexb123, Feb 14, 2006.

1. protostar Registered Senior Member

Advancing glaciers are NOT evidence of global warming. Glaciers advance toward the sea because increased snowfall makes them heavier at the top and pushes them out at the sides.

Earths circumfrence at the poles is 24,860 miles. Now you say Co2 is causing global warming. My god. do you have any idea how much co2 it would take to melt the poles? the Ionosphere is over 50,000 miles so, you are saying all of this gas is trapped up there and then the heat Lowers to the poles. hhhm.
    Again, 3rd grade science will teach you that heat "rises" what is the matter with you? What part of that don't you get? You are saying that there is sooooo much co2 that it pushes it's way back down to the poles 50,000 miles, don't dissapate and still heats that ice on the caps.
    No wonder there are so many confused people on this site. You muck up the info w/ bullshit. So, while you are at work behind your cash register eating your pop corn, do the math.
    Oh, and another thing. The earths "releases" its energy through volcanic eruptions and there hasn't been any in days. I hope you, who like to "muddy up" people's thinking lives in the cascadia subduction zone. heh.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

My reference to you as a dickhead was based upon two things:

Evidence 1: The enthusiastic way in which you presented a false conclusion that anyone with even marginal knowledge of the solar system and simple physics would have known was in error. i.e. your total failure to recognise that Titan was much further away from the sun than Venus and therefore must receive much less heat than Venus. Secondly, your total failure to understand that the greenhouse effect does take place on Titan. Its surface temperatures, although low by our standards, would be even lower if it were not for this greenhouse effect.
    In short, while ignorance is not an issue, self confident, blatantly paraded ignorance is typically displayed by dickheads. I believe you had demonstrated that this title applied to you.

Situtation 1:You opened your post with an aggressive told ya, and concluded it with an equally aggressive, so where's your greenhouse now Ophiolite.

I would not have bothered pointing out that you were a dickhead if you had not been so cavalier and childish in displaying your ignorance in that way.

In future, I shall treat all your statements objectively, until such times as you indulge in similar ill judged remarks. We can have a civilised discussion, but not if you are running around gleefully claiming victories when you have just spouted nonsense. Can we agree on that?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Ah, protostar. Now dragon, while he occasionally act a little like a dickhead, just cannot hold a candle to you. Impossible to know where to begin with one of your grossly nonsensical posts. I'll take just a single point - the one that looks, superficially, the most plausible.

You say there have been no volcanic eruptions for days: would you care to prove it?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phlogistician Banned Banned

50,000 miles, what? The Ionosphere is about 300Km up, so adding 300km onto the earth's radius doesn't add up to that as a circumference even, so where have you got your figure from?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  8. phlogistician Banned Banned

Yeah, I'm off to the Alps snowboarding on Saturday. All that heat 'rising' to 2000m means I'll be just wearing a pair of speedos! Why doesn't the rising heat melt the snow?

9. phlogistician Banned Banned

You said 'the moon' and while failing to capitalise 'moon' doesn't imply that it's our Moon, failing to call it Titan, doesn't imply Titan either. If you say 'the moon', people will assume you meant 'the Moon', ie our satellite.

You seemed to be swapping focus from Titan, to our Moon in that sentence.

But you weren't, apparently.

Anyway, Saturn is 9.5 times as far away from the Sun as the Earth is. Plug that into an inverse square law and see how much energy it receives. Also, those thick clouds are going to shield the planet from solar radiation, aren't they?

10. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

You know, if a substance has a higher specific heat than the other substance, for the same amount of heat it is cooler than that other substance.

Glaciers marching to the sea without being replenished are symptomatic of cooler times with less precipitation.

11. protostar Registered Senior Member

O- Check out huttoncommentaries.com and click on the red/white box to pull up the torrid area volcano monitor. Also John Seach, Volcano expert on volcanolive.com is reporting nothing either in about a week. The earth has to release its energy somewhere don't it? Well it's not and with the Chandler wobble non-existant for 3 weeks. What kind of stress/ heat build up is going on at the core now??
    PH-
    Troposphere (sea level -16 km)
    Stratosphere (ozone layer) 16-48km
    Ionosphere (48-over 50,000 km)
    That's a whole lotta room to be amassing greenhouse gasses. And my point was that HEAT RISES, not falls..from atmosphere to the poles to melt them.
    Heating is coming from BELOW.

I talked about our solar system entering a new energy zone a few days ago and then bam, we got knocked w/ a GRB the largest ever recorded
    from earthchangestv.com
    Within 72 hours of a spectacular GRB hitting the Earth’s atmosphere, a large 7.5 magnitude earthquake hits Mozambique. Was this a causal connection, or perhaps just a very interesting coincidence? his words not mine however, great minds think alike, proto

Tuesday's article of a GRB (gamma ray burst) hitting Earth’s atmosphere caused an unexpected spike in the Kp Index. Much of my attention has been directed at various energy forms, or waves coming from our own galaxy Milky Way, but also our neighboring galaxy Andromeda. If there is in fact a connection, extreme weather may occur. Watch for coming high winds, which sometimes takes the form of a tornado without a funnel. It is most often described as ‘straighten-line winds, or micro-burst, or wind-shears.
    So, where do i get my info from? start here:http://www.etheric.com/GalacticCenter/Galactic.html
    Lets discuss these matters, not argue over who's right or wrong and cant spell. lets discuss it! You can't call me a dickhead, heh, i'm a girl.

12. protostar Registered Senior Member

Gamma Rays are the deadliest form of energy.
    They can go through lead 5 inches thick.
    They can alter chromosomes
    They can circle around electromagnetic fields
    They are a small pulse then a bigger pulse primary and secondary
    They can come from neutron stars when something falls into its
    gravity field.
    They can come from A black hole that is emitting the 2 giant streams
    of gamma rays.
    GRB do not show light, they pass through space dust and particles
    and then glows. They use red-shift to detect this measuring the distance of an object.
    (sciencechannel "death star" program)

13. Light Registered Senior Member

Far, far too many inaccuracies to deal with here but I'll start with just two or three.

The center of the ionosphere is taken to be 3,000km high. That would hardly extend it up to 50,000km as you state.

You also fail to understand that the majority of heat at the Earth's surface is from solar insolation, not geothermal. And along with that, you also clearly do not understand how the greenhouse gasses serve as a blanket which retains a larger amount of that energy (heat) rather than allowing it to be re-radiated back into space.

In short, your knowledge of all the topics you're trying to discuss is very, very weak.

14. protostar Registered Senior Member

says you. Yes greenhouse gasses serve as a blanket. I'm saying they are not melting the poles.

15. Light Registered Senior Member

Yes, says me - and even high school level science. Evidently you didn't study very much or possibly haven't even gotten that far yet. Your approach to the subjects is really on a very naive level.

Answer a couple of simple questions. If the heat at the surface of the Earth comes from within, as you claim, why is it warmer along the equator and gets progressively cooler as you move to higher latitudes? And why is it that most of the volcanic activity, which according to you provides the heat, is more prevalent at those higher, cooler latitudes?

You're simply ignoring the very basics in favor of your own misunderstanding of how things work.

16. phlogistician Banned Banned

Protostar, you are implying that the volume of the Earth's atmosphere is far greater than the volume of the Earth. This is pure fallacy.

17. Light Registered Senior Member

Quite correct, of course. She fails to understand that the atmosphere could be compared to the very thin skin of an apple attached to the surface of the Earth.

Honestly - I suspect she hasn't gotten very far in studying even the basics of science. She must be a very young teen.

18. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Still waiting an answer protostar.

19. leopold Valued Senior Member

i read somewhere that if the earth was an apple the atmosphere would be represented by the skin

20. Light Registered Senior Member

Hey, Leo, look back three posts. I just said that 30 minutes earlier.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. leopold Valued Senior Member

yeah i noticed after i posted it

ahem
    i just wanted to make sure he didn't forget it

22. Light Registered Senior Member

No problem.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. protostar Registered Senior Member

If as you say greenhouse gasses are building up in the atmosphere heating it then RIDDLE ME THIS: Why is there less sunlight reaching the earth? Less sunlight means less heat don't it? USGS say's we are possibly in a dimming cycle. So, re-think that one.
    Although the internal temperature of the Earth is thought to be constant, and produced by such factors as radioactive decay, friction, and gravitational compression, there is one other factor that is seldom considered, and that is electricity. The Earth's core contains mega voltages of electrical energy in the form of an electrified plasma. Electricity produces heat in direct proportion to current flow, and the internal temperature of the planet must therefore be directly related to the total amount of electrical energy contained within the core, in addition to other heat sources produced by geological processes.
    The only other possible source of heat not directly related to the Sun that can explain the phenomenon known as global warming, is heat from the center of the Earth itself. The evidence shows that the internal temperature of the Earth oscillates between periods of greater and lesser temperature ranges, producing periodic ice ages and global warming. During periods when the core temperature rises, the additional heat is carried from the Earth's core to the surface via the magma convention system that circulates between the core and surface of the planet, where it radiates outward through the Earth's crust and sea floor, warming the oceans and atmosphere above, and melting the glacial and sea ice from below.

PS to Oph, now there has been a volcanic eruption Eastern Japan on 2/23.